New horse shopping criteria

AdorableAlice

Visit site

It's a moose. a poorly put together moose. I am getting puzzled, several well put together suitable horses have been found. with decent adverts, yet those horses don't seem to be considered suitable for trying. Any horse purchase is a risk, but at least start with the best possible in terms of conformation, temperament and education.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Those were my thoughts too. Wasnt my sane friend to be fair lol.
I have really fallen for a 16.2 3/4 grey (!!) ID on Facebook. He's being sold by a dealer I have reasonable faith in. He's 5 and hacks alone etc, obviously a little green due to age. He can be a little nervous of new people. BUT there is "something " about him that I fall in love with him all over again every time I see his ad, I have spoken to dealer and got vids. I'd really like some thoughts??

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1662117100762388&id=1391961614444606

Ask them what they mean by confident rider. It means different things to different people. Lots of them come over from Ireland just about sat on and a bit traumatised from it all but lots of them come round with no issues at all. They have clearly invested some time into him. Hes already doing the things you want to do. If hes safe to hack on his own then I dont see any reason why you wouldnt go and see him, pending a chat with them to clarify that you and him sound a good match. If they have a good reputation they wont want to ruin it by selling you the wrong horse and the whole point of trying a horse is to see if its the right one for you.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
It's a moose. a poorly put together moose. I am getting puzzled, several well put together suitable horses have been found. with decent adverts, yet those horses don't seem to be considered suitable for trying. Any horse purchase is a risk, but at least start with the best possible in terms of conformation, temperament and education.

AA..I have called, left messages etc for several of the horses suggested her and people haven't got back to me etc. I sometimes feel like people don't actually want to sell the bloody things. I'm waiting for more photos of the cob you suggested, I've called and left messages for the chestnut cob...Meg was suggested and I'm seeing her at the end of the week. A couple of horses haven't been suitable when I've called the owners etc.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Those were my thoughts too. Wasnt my sane friend to be fair lol.
I have really fallen for a 16.2 3/4 grey (!!) ID on Facebook. He's being sold by a dealer I have reasonable faith in. He's 5 and hacks alone etc, obviously a little green due to age. He can be a little nervous of new people. BUT there is "something " about him that I fall in love with him all over again every time I see his ad, I have spoken to dealer and got vids. I'd really like some thoughts??

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1662117100762388&id=1391961614444606

I wouldn't:eek:.

The Clydesdale sounds quite hopeful.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
See I quite liked the grey but what do I know lol. Is it worth going to at least view him especially as he is close?

I definitely liked the sound of Meg so hopefully you get to see her and the 2 Clydesdales I've known have been nice so hope this one is too especially as didn't you say you had one before? Should also meet your preferred build and is hopefully safe and steady

Caol Ila

Visit site
The advert sucks. Why he is pulled way behind the vertical with a martingale in the first pic, and why is he wearing a flash and what looks like a standing martingale? I can't really tell from the photo, to be honest, but he's got some hardwear around his mouth. And he's a million miles from the camera in the jumping pic. What's the point? The third pic shows a genuine looking horse out on a hack with no weird tack, so that's promising. Legs look straight in the BTV pic, and the pasterns aren't too upright and angles look decent, so that's good. I think he looks weak in the back end and heavy in the front, but that should be solvable with correct training.

I'd probably phone up if I didn't live too far away and that's the sort of horse I was after.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Also what about the chestnut YBCM was local to? She sounds like someone whose opinion I'd trust even if she could do the initial viewing before either suggesting you go or ruling him out?

I've called and left 2 messages but no reply yet.
I would absolutely ask YBCM to have a look first...IF they get back to me. I'll try to call them again this eve.

The b/w cob is in Birmingham, so just about an hour from me. Friend said she doesn't really like the pics they've put up and to ask for more but he may be worth a look at?

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
The advert sucks. Why he is pulled way behind the vertical with a martingale in the first pic, and why is he wearing a flash and what looks like a standing martingale? I can't really tell from the photo, to be honest, but he's got some hardwear around his mouth. And he's a million miles from the camera in the jumping pic. What's the point? The third pic shows a genuine looking horse out on a hack with no weird tack, so that's promising. Legs look straight in the BTV pic, and the pasterns aren't too upright and angles look decent, so that's good. I think he looks weak in the back end and heavy in the front, but that should be solvable with correct training.

I'd probably phone up if I didn't live too far away and that's the sort of horse I was after.

The jumping photo made me laugh you cant even see him! Like you say there is complete contrast between the 2 other photos, it may just be a teenager wanting him to look "cool" where hes so kitted out, I'm drawn to him in the final photo of him on the hack he's in a plain snaffle, no noaeband and both look to be ridden by youngish girls.

If you're drawn to him op at least call and have a chat and if he sounds like what you want and hes local go see him but I'd want to try him in a variety of scenarios, including ones where he may hot up to potentially see if theres a reason for all the kit in the first photo. I'd probably even ask them about it on the phone if he wore it in all his photos I wouldn't be keen but really like the 3rd photo

Also does he hack alone? Very sensible on the roads sounds promising but will he be as sensible on his own?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
SLH i am concerned that you seem to be looking at younger horses that need to be bought on, i thought you had said you wanted something safe and sane, a 5 or 6 year old is just the age for horses to be testing the boundaries and , from all of your posts, that doesnt seem likely to be your cup of tea. please dont buy anything in a hurry and make sure that any horse you consider is of good calm temperament,you dont need can be nervous types, also make sure they will hack safely and confidently alone and also behave when in a group.....some of the horses you have suggested i had already seen and discounted as not suitable....

TRECtastic

Visit site

JJS

Visit site

I agree with all of this. The pictures are terrible and do him no favours, but I actually think he might be a good sort for what you want to do. Yes, plenty of other posters think you should be looking at older horses, but you’re the one who’s buying, and you’ve repeatedly expressed a preference for not picking a teenager. He might not be perfect in terms of conformation, but at the end of the day, you only want a horse that will stand up to hacking and some low level stuff, so you hardly need the Brad Pitt of the horse world. I definitely think it’s worth getting in touch with the seller to ask for more information.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The cob reminds me of mine, who I bought when he was 5. I had a lot of help (BDA instructor friend, very experienced YO who was a mate of the dealer and a fortnight's trial). I'd say a sensible cob is worth its weight in gold, but I'd ask someone to try him for you in an open space and in a school if possible before travelling.

Mine hadn't ever been in a school so was a bit taken aback at all the mirrors and used to try to go round on tip toes to look at himself (they were placed for the big warmblood dressage stars on the yard)

be positive

Visit site