Oliver Townend Fence 4 (Shallow Springs)

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Depends how many you went round or under

It was mentioned yesterday by the commentator during the latter stages of the trot-ups about the fence judges, and how the honour of fence judging there was passed down through generations and sometimes it was down to even one particular fence which was inherited as such by the next generation of that family. It was an interesting aside.

Hmm the fence judge I spoke to said they get assigned new fences/ move round every year, he was on a fairly straightforward fence, so we asked if he’d have wanted a more exciting fence.

fetlock

Visit site
To respond to the general point of why people don't like Oliver T, a lot of people will point to when he was on for the Rolex Grand Slam, and used the whip quite heavily on a horse that was clearly tired coming home (at Badminton). BUT I think other riders have received yellow cards for similar actions (with less at stake, not that it matters) and not really received the same public backlash.

He was quite outspoken at the start of his career about certain issues, and I think this led some people involved in eventing to take against him- and so any time he does something wrong it is magnified, whereas other riders who may seem more personable have similar events overlooked.

He's also, perhaps, "not quite" from a typical eventing background, which I think he has felt strongly at times, so he can sometimes seem like a bit of an outsider.

I also think that internal politics about teams etc have sometimes cast him in a bit of a negative light.

I think he milked (excuse the pun) the "not from a typical eventing background" bit and guessing - if he did, that is - that was a savvy move to get mainstream media interviews to help promote himself and his business. Even now he still gets "son of a milkman" headlines - I don't think they ever mention he did pony trials and his Dad actually rode at Burghley himself. Outspoken/arrogance aside, how much of an outsider was he really? He had more going for him, horsey background wise, than Ian Stark did in his own youth. That's not taking away what Oli has achieved results wise and in terms of the business he's built up wise too, and entirely off his own bat. I admire him immensely for the hard work over the years and what he's achieved.

I actually quite like him now and, dare I say it, was pleased his elimination was reversed on Saturday. I was disgusted at his whip use on both horses at Badminton 2018 and his subsequent interviews about it didn't help him either. He appears to have learnt from both mistakes since then however and couldn't be faulted in his interviews during the Olympics so fickle I may be, but he's redeemed himself in my non-important eyes.

fetlock

Visit site
Hmm the fence judge I spoke to said they get assigned new fences/ move round every year, he was on a fairly straightforward fence, so we asked if he’d have wanted a more exciting fence.

Maybe that's what they do now, but in days gone by they didn't. Can't recall the commentator saying that's how it is currently. It was about the fence judges in general :)

Wishfilly

Visit site
I think he milked (excuse the pun) the "not from a typical eventing background" bit and guessing - if he did, that is - that was a savvy move to get mainstream media interviews to help promote himself and his business. Even now he still gets "son of a milkman" headlines - I don't think they ever mention he did pony trials and his Dad actually rode at Burghley himself. Outspoken/arrogance aside, how much of an outsider was he really? He had more going for him, horsey background wise, than Ian Stark did in his own youth. That's not taking away what Oli has achieved results wise and in terms of the business he's built up wise too, and entirely off his own bat. I admire him immensely for the hard work over the years and what he's achieved.

I actually quite like him now and, dare I say it, was pleased his elimination was reversed on Saturday. I was disgusted at his whip use on both horses at Badminton 2018 and his subsequent interviews about it didn't help him either. He appears to have learnt from both mistakes since then however and couldn't be faulted in his interviews during the Olympics so fickle I may be, but he's redeemed himself in my non-important eyes.

I agree that he is from a pretty horsey background, and I do think he has perhaps put a spin on things to make a good story for the press. I do also think on a personal level he hasn't had the financial backing that some really top riders have. But I do also think that for whatever reason at times he has genuinely felt like a bit of an outsider within the eventing circuit- but maybe he just gives that impression?

I do think over the years he's learnt from his mistakes. But I also think his mistakes seem to get the spotlight shone on them far more than the mistakes made by others- I'm not sure why that is.

Nicnac

Visit site
Am copying and pasting a PUBLIC Facebook post by Natalie McGoldrick. An equine vet and 4* rider who, in my humble opinion, talks a lot of sense.

As this thread is in Tack Room it is public and therefore equates to posting on Facebook rather than being in a members only part of the Forum.

Hugely upsetting to see that the Facebook ground jury and “experts”, most of whom couldn’t even get round a 90, have yet again been out in force today. I would hope none of you who have written vile comments about ANY of the riders tackling Badminton today, follow this page. If you do, kindly b****r off now.
Cross country riding at that level (I only have experience at the level below, but I would imagine it’s similar) is intense. As riders, we have to make split second decisions as to whether to push for a long stride, or hold for a short; sometimes the horse takes that decision away from us. If we’ve survived a sticky jump, we make the split second decision as to whether to carry on and see how our horse feels over the next fence, or to pull up; today, that decision for Oli was whether to pull up at pretty much the biggest 5* in the World.
STOP the vile comments!!! STOP posting screen shots to demonstrate how the ground jury were incorrect, and yet you (most probably sat at home on your sofa, having never jumped bigger than an 80) were absolutely correct, and the ground jury were blind. Just mutter to yourself, and SHUT UP! YOU, the Facebook expert, are not about to be asked by the Badminton ground jury to give your opinion, so shut up! Please remember which owner/stud Oli now rides for, and why. I’m sure most of the “experts” stating how “vile” Oli was for not jumping off to check how his horse was, post those ridiculous “Be Kind” profile photos. Practice what you preach.
When we Event at a high level, we will know by the next fence at the very latest, if our horses aren’t right, and we will pull up. Most of us don’t need to get off to know if our horse has injured itself. When my horse, Harry, suffered an 80% rupture of his tendon whilst out on XC at the 3* Europeans, I had a huge battle to pull him up. I could just feel that something wasn’t right. I didn’t need to pull up and get off to know. Just as Oli didn’t need to get off Swallow Springs today to know if he was injured. The way he carried on jumping, he clearly just suffered a bruise at worst.
These top horses are probably looked after much better than a lot of your own horses. These horses wouldn’t have to wait a minute, let alone a day, to see a vet for anything, to try and avoid an emergency fee. The fitness of these horses is monitored to the millimetre; I’ve seen more welfare issues with fat/unfit horses (and riders) competing at grassroots. There are also more pressing welfare concerns with ponies that are so overweight that they have to live in a stable for 20 hours a day to avoid laminitis. These Event horses receive the best of everything.
Watch Badminton, and enjoy watching the absolute TOP equine athletes you will ever be lucky enough to see. The ground jury honestly don’t need your help. More than anything, these riders, who work harder than anyone I know, don’t need to read your s**t on social media.
Rant over.

https://www.facebook.com/southcoast...FPTOHbLdIJtZq484FTJKb7jQ2LQuBn4KT&__tn__=EH-R

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Am copying and pasting a PUBLIC Facebook post by Natalie McGoldrick. An equine vet and 4* rider who, in my humble opinion, talks a lot of sense.

As this thread is in Tack Room it is public and therefore equates to posting on Facebook rather than being in a members only part of the Forum.

Hugely upsetting to see that the Facebook ground jury and “experts”, most of whom couldn’t even get round a 90, have yet again been out in force today. I would hope none of you who have written vile comments about ANY of the riders tackling Badminton today, follow this page. If you do, kindly b****r off now.
Cross country riding at that level (I only have experience at the level below, but I would imagine it’s similar) is intense. As riders, we have to make split second decisions as to whether to push for a long stride, or hold for a short; sometimes the horse takes that decision away from us. If we’ve survived a sticky jump, we make the split second decision as to whether to carry on and see how our horse feels over the next fence, or to pull up; today, that decision for Oli was whether to pull up at pretty much the biggest 5* in the World.
STOP the vile comments!!! STOP posting screen shots to demonstrate how the ground jury were incorrect, and yet you (most probably sat at home on your sofa, having never jumped bigger than an 80) were absolutely correct, and the ground jury were blind. Just mutter to yourself, and SHUT UP! YOU, the Facebook expert, are not about to be asked by the Badminton ground jury to give your opinion, so shut up! Please remember which owner/stud Oli now rides for, and why. I’m sure most of the “experts” stating how “vile” Oli was for not jumping off to check how his horse was, post those ridiculous “Be Kind” profile photos. Practice what you preach.
When we Event at a high level, we will know by the next fence at the very latest, if our horses aren’t right, and we will pull up. Most of us don’t need to get off to know if our horse has injured itself. When my horse, Harry, suffered an 80% rupture of his tendon whilst out on XC at the 3* Europeans, I had a huge battle to pull him up. I could just feel that something wasn’t right. I didn’t need to pull up and get off to know. Just as Oli didn’t need to get off Swallow Springs today to know if he was injured. The way he carried on jumping, he clearly just suffered a bruise at worst.
These top horses are probably looked after much better than a lot of your own horses. These horses wouldn’t have to wait a minute, let alone a day, to see a vet for anything, to try and avoid an emergency fee. The fitness of these horses is monitored to the millimetre; I’ve seen more welfare issues with fat/unfit horses (and riders) competing at grassroots. There are also more pressing welfare concerns with ponies that are so overweight that they have to live in a stable for 20 hours a day to avoid laminitis. These Event horses receive the best of everything.
Watch Badminton, and enjoy watching the absolute TOP equine athletes you will ever be lucky enough to see. The ground jury honestly don’t need your help. More than anything, these riders, who work harder than anyone I know, don’t need to read your s**t on social media.
Rant over.

https://www.facebook.com/southcoast...FPTOHbLdIJtZq484FTJKb7jQ2LQuBn4KT&__tn__=EH-R

Oh good grief, I’m never sure that ranting justifications are useful or wise.

And as for any part of HHO being “private”, it really isn’t. I’m always ? when people suggest that. There are thousands of forum members, the vast majority of whom sign up and lurk and hardly, if ever, post anything, but they can certainly read.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

Not sure what your point is about posting that in Tack Room. Club House is hardly any more private. That vet is a known ranty individual. I certainly wouldn't be using her after reading that - she could have put her point across in a much better way.

This thread has been pretty balanced really, a genuine discussion about the sport by people who have often followed and/or been involved in it for years,. Any outlier comments, such as the one postulating that Swallow Springs might have been given bute after XC, were corrected.

little_critter

Visit site

Damn it, I’m the daughter on a milkman. I seem to have missed out on the riding talent genes ☹️

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Oh blimey. she wouldn't last long on here, would she?? I noticed some comments disagreeing with her when she first wrote the post but they are all long gone. Fancy having such strong outspoken opinions and not being able do deal with any criticism.... o_O

meleeka

Visit site
She should hear what pretty much everyone,’professionals included, say about her in real life! I’ve yet to meet anyone who doesn’t think she’s arrogant and rude. She seems to have a little cult following though.

Upthecreek

Visit site
I agree with most of what she says but I don’t understand the need to denigrate people who “couldn’t even get round a 90” or “never jumped bigger than an 80” to get her point across. Not very professional of a vet to say that when most of her clients will probably fall into that category.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion on anything. We have to accept that social media provides the platform for any and all of these to be expressed, whether we agree with them or not. I’m not sure why people don’t just ignore stuff they don’t agree with and feel the need to engage in public arguments they are never going to win, which doesn’t show them in a very positive light ?

TPO

Visit site
She seems to have a little cult following though.

Isn't that always the way? Some people are just so desperate to be "in" with someone/something.

It reminds me of those bloggers Mother Tuckers who spoke out in defence of MT. Their defence was that they were there and found it funny/were laughing at the time it was happening. As if that makes it ok? Along with healthy dose, like the vet, of if you aren't doing it...

It makes me think that folk like that vet and those bloggers think the pros that they are defending (& I'd say they did the pros more harm than good) will become their pals. Social media is just full of people desperate to be "known" and "in". Its really quite sad (& pathetic).

tristar

Visit site
I'm still struggling to understand people insisting that a horse with no early evidence of injury can't be injured. Does anyone else remember riding once a week on Saturday and being absolutely crippled by pain from soft tissue overuse of the thighs on Monday afternoon?

agree with this, also the rider had the benefit of viewing the approach to the second element before riding it, the horse did not, he should have set up the horse better knowing it could land on top if taking off in wrong place

tristar

Visit site
that vet woman, well, those horses are not the `finest athletes you will ever see` she can`t have seen many horses, some of the horses i have seen that are the finest athletes

would be far too valuable to chuck over solid wood fences

as for the best cared for, no, the best ridden, no.

her views are to me very narrow, which reflects her experience of the horse world, a vet is vet, and should concentrate on being a good vet, then we would have better health care for horses, instead of the sometimes worse than useless ones that make you roll your eyes, and bite your tongue, well yes 10 out of 10 for effort, but a good vet may well be too busy being a good vet and have a wider view, and should have a wider view, i find her views very worrying actually

ihatework

Visit site