please show me pictures of your horse's head

Auslander

Visit site
23 year old TB mare

1545606_10152383335155730_7985021677487262408_n.jpg

Circe

Visit site
In fairness, she could have asked.

For goodness sake guys, can you not make allowances for how damned stressful this situation is for me, to have to watch a horse in pain day after day so that I can prove to myself and others that he is too ill to be allowed to live?????

I didn't ask for advice. I asked for photos. If you can't give me those then please, please leave me alone!

OP, what ever you decide, please don't feel that you have to prove any thing to anyone else.
Its nothing to do with anyone but you and possibly your vet.
You don't really strike me as someone who asks for hugs, but I'm going to send you some anyway
Kx

Auslander

Visit site
Jus to add to pic above CPT. This mare has a serious heart condition - and I would say her facial veins are enlarged because of that

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
carrietwentytwo.jpg

This photo was taken to track the healing after she had a lump removed - hence the dry blood etc...
a6ee85d6-74d8-4a10-bb71-453de32c0666_zpsa58298bc.jpg

Anglo-arab

100_2208-1.jpg

Arab

10b08efe-ef21-4ec6-98f0-3273af1f86fc_zpsf249ba09.jpg

Arab

CPT - I'm so sorry that your boy is still having a dreadful time. It must be so tough for you. I really hope that he improves soon.

digitalangel

Visit site
How interesting. I'm not sure if you are aware, but two head fractures have left him with trigeminal nerve problems, which are often what cause head shaking, and he is a headshaker in everything except that he does not shake his head much. And I recently gave him a lump of rock salt that he is attacking with a vengeance.

Hi Cptrayes - my boy was born with deviation the muzzle and therefore is a headshaker due to nerve problems ( one of his ears is also mostly paralysed ) if you want any more info on how i manage him PM me.

ann-jen

Visit site
imagejpg1_zps6df79434.jpg

Horse on the left is 19yr old Anglo Arab cross and horse on the right is an 8yr old Anglo-European warmblood (but everyone thinks she's a tb lol)

digitalangel

Visit site
10154038_10203666521293008_5067997722673588410_n.jpg

23 year old KWPN

10308195_10203666522013026_4175047890940306804_n.jpg

16 year old welsh b

10168061_10203666550413736_281977177662992437_n.jpg

pic of my horse who has trig nerve problems/paralysis due to muzzle devation ( cant see it from the side so included a front pic )

cptrayes

Visit site
23 year old TB mare

1545606_10152383335155730_7985021677487262408_n.jpg

Thank you. He looks quite like that, with the fan of muscles showing when he eats. But he's eight, with quite flesh covered cheeks :(

He has just bitten me for the first time ever. That is so not his personality. I am trying to judge how much pain he's in from day to day so I know when to call it quits. He has to have a chance to heal himself first, though, the second fracture is only two months old. I wish he could talk.

Thanks for your help everyone, I've got enough pictures now to know the veins are definitely not within any normal bounds for a horse of his age and type.

Last edited:

cptrayes

Visit site
Trigeminal nerve pain is horrendous. I'm afraid I would agree with your vet. Sorry.

Thank you FP. This is why I will not let him carry on much longer. Human sufferers are telling me that the pain is unbearable, and to have bitten me when I went to do up his rug, I think he is trying to tell me the same thing. He will have pain killers from when they arrive, but I will not allow him more than a few days after they wear off, or don't work at all, before I end this.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It sounds just awful ,
I have nothing to add but to say I am sad you and he are in this situation .

Holly Hocks

Visit site
11 year old TB mare post serious sinus surgery - now left with trigeminal nerve issues as a result
blueresize1.jpg

18 year old TB
Rebel.jpg

2 year old native x
Newbaby006.jpg

zigzag

Visit site
Ditto the turmeric and ulcers, please don't feed him it.

I knew a mare whose face veins engorged, her temperament changed as well, this happened over a week, however this was due to ragwort poisoning (rescue mare, didn't get ragwort from me) and her liver failing causing brain damage. Bristol Vet hospital said veins engorge when under stress whether from pain or work and heart rate increases ( you probably know that .. )
Sorry I do not have a picture of the mare, but they were a lot more visible than the pics of the horses shown here. Do you or can you post a pic of him?

Wishing you all the best x

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
attachment.php

OP couldn't be more concerned about her horse so back off if you don't have anything constructive to add.

Rather unnecessary and completely pointless as you aren't a moderator.....people are entitled to ask questions or make any suggestion, the OP is capable of ignoring posts she doesn't find helpful.

A pic of the problem would be useful for those trying to help.

doriangrey

Visit site
huE6AvB.jpg

Pic of the same mare grazing if that helps OP, the cheek muscles working appear very similar to Auslander's mare who looks to be relaxed in the stable pic. My mare is also about 21 in the 'relaxed' pic but younger in the grazing pic and no health issues in either. As to the above post, no I'm not a moderator but then neither are you - and nasty insinuating, malicious posts are not my forte thanks.

cptrayes

Visit site
Rather unnecessary and completely pointless as you aren't a moderator.....people are entitled to ask questions or make any suggestion, the OP is capable of ignoring posts she doesn't find helpful.

A pic of the problem would be useful for those trying to help.

I'm not asking for help and I have enough photos now thank you everyone.

To those offering hugs, no I'd never ask for hugs but I'm not going to turn them down either :)

Last edited:

cptrayes

Visit site
Thanks guys, got enough now. Some lovely horses you people have :)

You have answered the question I had about how abnormal it is, plus more about how pronounced his frown is on bad days when it's windy. I know you'd all love to make suggestions and try to save him, but I need you to leave this with me to see through now please.

Thanks very much for your help.

Last edited:

nikkimariet

Visit site
Please can you post or point me to pictures of horses' heads without a head collar or bridle on?

My horse with the head traumas has developed swollen veins on his cheeks. I know these are not normal for him, but I need to know if they are normal at all, because I've never seen them, that I remember, on any other resting horse. If you could tell me what breed the horse is too, that will help.

Thank you.

I'm not asking for help and I have enough photos now thank you everyone.

....????

FWIW, looking at pics of Fig and CS, their veins vary from huge to invisible. Pics I have of either when chewing showing the 'fan of muscles'. Seems pretty normal. I won't post any pics as you have enough.

maletto

Visit site
Hi CPT, was going to add a pic of one of my boys' heads but then saw you'd had enough input. Have been lightly following your story and it sounds horrendous to have to go through - one of the worst things of horse (or other animal) ownership to go through is the lack of diagnosis, and I really hope you are able to find a solution soon.

Boysy

Visit site
As a sufferer of Trigeminal Neuralgia myself I cannot stress how hideously excruciating and debilitating the pain is, I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy let alone a horse who cannot have the meds to attempt to control it. Painkillers will not touch it in the slightest, not even morphine as the pain is from the nerve direct to the brain and only anticonvulsant drugs work to block the signals. There is a very valid reason it is nick-named the suicide disease.

CP - I hope to god your poor horse hasn't got TN, I wouldn't even begin to imagine how it could be treated in an animal successfully.