please show me pictures of your horse's head

cptrayes

Visit site
Cpt he's your horse you decide what's best with your vet .
I hope there's a way forward for you both .
It's a very difficult situation to be in but the time does come when enough is enough .
Best wishes as you get through this .

GS thank you for both your posts, it does help.

charliejet

Visit site
I really hope he makes some improvement when the fracture settles and that the new drugs give him some relief in the meantime.

As you know my horse has been blinking and frowning, she is now developing head shaking symptoms. Sigh!

I have been using Pulsed Electromagnetic Therapy for her fractured withers and it does seem to help her relax. I have the machine on hire from my physio for a month and use it 2 x daily. My girls fractures cant heal as they are displaced so I use the machine on the lower settings for the pain relief and muscle inflammation. It can be used to help promote fracture healing though. I have no idea if it could be used in your situation but may be worth asking Vet / physio about?

cptrayes

Visit site
So sorry to hear that your mare is getting worse, I'll cross my fingers that the can help her withers and that it solves the head problems.

STRIKER

Visit site
Sorry to hear this OP, hugs. Has the vet checked out his sinus due to the fractures, they may be crushed causes pressure for the veins to be engorged and also it does cause head shaking.

I hope you find an happy answer, thoughts are with you

DiNozzo

Visit site
RE. Xrays

You say he's fractured his head repeatedly in the last 4 months was it?

How do you know that he hasn't chipped a bit of bone off that has migrated to the trig. nerve and is causing problems by pressing on it?

A bone chip can take longer to dissolve than a fracture would to heal.

To give him another month without pain and then shoot him, could potentially not be long enough. The horse may need longer to dissolve the bone chip that could potentially be causing pressure points on his trig. nerve.

So, yes, whilst it might not need surgery, more time could be needed, especially if the experimental drugs work and keep him out of pain long enough to heal properly.

But you won't know this as you refuse to xray.

hayinamanger

Visit site
Some very unpleasant attitudes coming through here.

To all the experts who clearly have MRCVS after their names, have you never heard this saying?

Do not judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes.

Auslander

Visit site
RE. Xrays

You say he's fractured his head repeatedly in the last 4 months was it?

How do you know that he hasn't chipped a bit of bone off that has migrated to the trig. nerve and is causing problems by pressing on it?

A bone chip can take longer to dissolve than a fracture would to heal.

To give him another month without pain and then shoot him, could potentially not be long enough. The horse may need longer to dissolve the bone chip that could potentially be causing pressure points on his trig. nerve.

So, yes, whilst it might not need surgery, more time could be needed, especially if the experimental drugs work and keep him out of pain long enough to heal properly.

But you won't know this as you refuse to xray.

Still won't explain why the horse has been repeatedly fracturing his head though! I can see both points of view, but the thing that would most concern me is why this horse is self-harming to a point where he is fracturing the bones in his head. Suggests a pretty major headache to me!

Auslander

Visit site
Vets will do whatever YOU want. I myslef couldn't live without giving the poor ****** an x-ray before shooting him

Just as a matter of interest, why then, did you suggest I shot one of mine yesterday, just because she's an old girl who won't be left alone in the field? I know you added a half hearted "Joke" after it, but after having the other old girl PTS less than a week ago, I didn't quite see the humour.

PolarSkye

Visit site
This thread makes for some pretty unpleasant reading . . . some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

P

PolarSkye

Visit site
Vets will do whatever YOU want. I myslef couldn't live without giving the poor ****** an x-ray before shooting him

Actually, vets won't. I can think of at least two instances in recent memory where vets refused to PTS a horse because it simply wasn't broken or ill enough.

By the way, are you a vet? Have you visited/diagnosed CPT's horse? No - thought not.

P

zigzag

Visit site
Just as a matter of interest, why then, did you suggest I shot one of mine yesterday, just because she's an old girl who won't be left alone in the field? I know you added a half hearted "Joke" after it, but after having the other old girl PTS less than a week ago, I didn't quite see the humour.

It was a joke... Most threads on here say PTS the horse, and I apologize, I did not know you had lost a horse or I would never have put it

zigzag

Visit site
Actually, vets won't. I can think of at least two instances in recent memory where vets refused to PTS a horse because it simply wasn't broken or ill enough.

By the way, are you a vet? Have you visited/diagnosed CPT's horse? No - thought not.

P

Vets will do what you want.. and no I am not a vet, but various people as well as myself have asked why an x-ray hasn't been given, and reasons why it would be a good idea .... It could be a simple thing that CAN be fixed

PolarSkye

Visit site
Vets will do what you want.. and no I am not a vet, but various people as well as myself have asked why an x-ray hasn't been given, and reasons why it would be a good idea .... It could be a simple thing that CAN be fixed

I'll say it again . . . no, vets won't.

P

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
Still won't explain why the horse has been repeatedly fracturing his head though! I can see both points of view, but the thing that would most concern me is why this horse is self-harming to a point where he is fracturing the bones in his head. Suggests a pretty major headache to me!

Or maybe a problem with his vision? Is there maybe a chance the first injury left him with wonky depth perception - this could explain the subsequent injuries? Just a thought as I have a friend who was left with this problem following a serious head injury.
CPT, sorry if you and your vet have already considered and discounted this possibility. Fingers and toes crossed for Ace.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Cob, of course.
IMAG0229.jpg

Hope you can resolve this.

diamonddogs

Visit site
Can't add anything useful to the thread but if I was ever in the mood to kick someone when they were down (actually not just kick them, but stand them up, kick them down again then boot them around the floor with a few insults thrown in for good measure) I'd know exactly where to come.

Shame on you - where's your compassion?

dianchi

Visit site
Dare we ask for an update? Be interested to hear if the new drugs are having a positive effect.

I personally would also be pushing for an xray, and would have done so earlier- personally choice/opinion

cptrayes

Visit site
Dare we ask for an update? Be interested to hear if the new drugs are having a positive effect.

I personally would also be pushing for an xray, and would have done so earlier- personally choice/opinion

Why would I want to set myself up for any more abuse Dianchi, especially when the request is from someone who has been pretty rude to me in the past just because I suggested that a footsore nineteen year old could be tested for Cushings?

For anyone who wants an update and will give up their anonymity, I do a regular email newsletter in place of the blog I gave up doing last year, and if you want to share that then I need your email address.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
a difference of opinion is not abuse!

100 people will do things 100 diff ways-i always say that even amongst my closest friends there are times we think "*****,wouldnt do that" but are able to discuss it in a controlled, adult manner and thus dont fall out over it.

TBH all the cloak and dagger stuff is not helping, asking for help on a problem but refusing to post pics of said issue, then refusing to update except for people you know are in 100% agreement with you anyway, does not really give the impression of being 100% open with everyone, or of someone calmly considering all options.

im not telling you what to do, or how to manage Ace, but that you may want to consider how this looks to outsiders and how you come across online: At times agressive, and at times bordering on irrational.

equally just because you have disagreed with another poster on a previous topic, it doesnt make sense to jump down their throat just for the sake of it now, when they have asked a genuine sounding Q and are only interested in how the horse is doing.Theres no need to be quite so dramatic about every person that doesnt share your views/doesnt work the same way as you do.

Patterdale

Visit site
Cptrayes you really don't help yourself.....you come on here asking for help quite often, usually pretty time consuming stuff such as counting blink rates, putting pictures up (which so many kind people reply to) and then are staggeringly rude to anyone who dares to voice a differing opinion to yours.

I just don't think it's really called for.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
My point proved, I think.

Yes.mine.perfectly.

Cptrayes you really don't help yourself.....you come on here asking for help quite often, usually pretty time consuming stuff such as counting blink rates, putting pictures up (which so many kind people reply to) and then are staggeringly rude to anyone who dares to voice a differing opinion to yours.

Quite.

cptrayes

Visit site
To close this thread on a positive note, I'd like to thank everyone who counted blink rates and posted pictures for me, they helped me very much.

Zero00000

Visit site

She's not holding a gun to anyone's head!!

CPT I have always found to be to the point, maybe some find it rude, others not so.
If you have nothing helpful to give why comment on the post, dear god!!

CPT I had not kept up with this thread as son is injured, Ill also send my email add, as I am very interested in your horse and his bizarre ways/injuries (not meant in a bad way)

charlie76

Visit site
Interesting how it's always the same people challenging the OP.....:p

Because they , including me, have been on the receiving end of her damn right rude responses on other posts. Honestly, the replies she has given to me in the past have been bordering on abusive and bullying.
It seems acceptable when the rudeness is coming from her side but not when its the other way round!