Potential New Horse Thread - Vetting Today!

EventingMum

Visit site
Congratulations, he looks lovely! One word of caution as I'm now paranoid about this (so feel free to ignore), please don't rely on a blood test for strangles - I did and it was a false negative so horse did actually have strangles albeit without a temperature etc, it was an absolute nightmare and cost me the best part of £20k in vet fees and lost income.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Congratulations, he looks lovely! One word of caution as I'm now paranoid about this (so feel free to ignore), please don't rely on a blood test for strangles - I did and it was a false negative so horse did actually have strangles albeit without a temperature etc, it was an absolute nightmare and cost me the best part of £20k in vet fees and lost income.
Oh god, how awful for you! I will definitely take that on board, thank you.

Shetland..can I just ask, if this happens when 'you are not really looking'. - what happens when you are?😂🤣
Just take it this way.. it's bl0ody lucky I dont' have my own land!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Buckets
Haynets
Headcollar-I’m assuming a full
Leadropes

Being Irish, I’ll bet he doesn’t know about polos, none of the Irish horses I’ve known have understood treats being hand fed.

Dummy question , do you have a yard sorted?!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Buckets
Haynets
Leadropes

Being Irish, I’ll bet he doesn’t know about polos, none of the Irish horses I’ve known have understood treats being hand fed.

I'll be interested to find out if he does know about treats, he's only been in from his youngster herd for a couple weeks so I highly doubt it! Confirmed full, so headcollar (and a field safe one just in case?). I have sorted a yard, it's one of the best ones in the area, I am so lucky they have a space. He will be on 5 day part livery which I need due to my working hours, but it's also good that he'll be on a yard with a bit of routine - hopefully that will slightly reduce the culture shock. Seller also said he is on haylage, no hard feed, and rugged at night as it's apparently still cold over there.

I will probably be on here to ask for lots of advice in the coming months, as this is my first real, real youngster - so apologies to everyone in advance! I am nowhere near an expert, but thankfully have a few trusted professionals who I can enlist to help if/when needed.

ETA: does anyone have any good recommendations for a floor feeder? I am keen not to use haynets.

JBM

Visit site
Buckets
Haynets
Leadropes

I only know TBs who don’t understand eating treats every other horse I’ve met does! Especially my girls they would eat anything
They enjoy the occasional oat and honey nature valley bar too

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
I'll be interested to find out if he does know about treats, he's only been in from his youngster herd for a couple weeks so I highly doubt it! Confirmed full, so headcollar (and a field safe one just in case?). I have sorted a yard, it's one of the best ones in the area, I am so lucky they have a space. He will be on 5 day part livery which I need due to my working hours, but it's also good that he'll be on a yard with a bit of routine - hopefully that will slightly reduce the culture shock. Seller also said he is on haylage, no hard feed, and rugged at night as it's apparently still cold over there.

I will probably be on here to ask for lots of advice in the coming months, as this is my first real, real youngster - so apologies to everyone in advance! I am nowhere near an expert, but thankfully have a few trusted professionals who I can enlist to help if/when needed.

ETA: does anyone have any good recommendations for a floor feeder? I am keen not to use haynets.
I am sooooo excited for you! I really am! He looks a darling. I reckon he might grow to an x full though 😆❤️

Nicnac

Visit site
He's gorgeous. Mine is by Crannagh Hero and is perfect in every way (yes I'm biased!) Glad I didn't see him first as we would have had a bidding war 😁

Reactions: JBM

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
He's gorgeous. Mine is by Crannagh Hero and is perfect in every way (yes I'm biased!) Glad I didn't see him first as we would have had a bidding war 😁
Oooh I'd love to see a photo! A couple of people commented on the sales ad to say they have full/half siblings and they were fabulous, so sounds like he's come from great lineage all round!

Reactions: JBM

Birker2020

Visit site
He’s only gone and passed!! Eeeeeek! I am utterly thrilled, won’t post the photos as the vet is in them but he looks brilliant too.

Just need to call yard in the AM to confirm ref: strangles test and delivery and he’ll be on his way! 😵

Oh god, I sold everything I owned two years ago… what do I need to buy! Wheelbarrow, head collar and buckets I think is about it!
So delighted for you. Congrats ❤❤

Birker2020

Visit site
Thanks Birker, when are you looking for your next one? I hope Lari's getting on well after his foot incident!
Lari doing well thank you. Heel healing and tendon much improved.

As soon as he is back at retirement and I can find another contract to start I will start looking.

I don't really want to lose another Summer but I'm glad I'm not working with all his rehabbing to do.

I'm so excited for you x

Nicnac

Visit site
Oooh I'd love to see a photo! A couple of people commented on the sales ad to say they have full/half siblings and they were fabulous, so sounds like he's come from great lineage all round!
My avatar was his sales photo. He'll be 16 this year and had him since he was 4. Would get another Crannagh Hero in a heartbeat.