Should hunting with hounds be banned?(poll)

Should all hunting with hounds be banned

• Yes

Votes: 94 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 49 20.3%
  • Allow drag hunting only

Votes: 58 24.1%
  • Allow trail hunting but with much tighter restrictions.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Continue trail hunting as it is now

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Hunt the clean boot ie follow a human trail

Votes: 68 28.2%

• Total voters

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
What you're describing is illegal and should be stopped. They are not allowed to start as a group on a time trial.

There are frequent time trials on the A roads around here and I've never in over 30 years seen what you have described.

I have, though, been out with drag hunts that trashed verges parking, blocked roads parking, left horse shit all over urban roads outside people's homes, trashed bridleways, went on land where the land owner said not to, held up traffic for long periods, had hounds run into roads and be hit, killed sheep, caused horses in fields we passed to get into a dangerous frenzy, upset dog walkers ....

And I do question whether we are now simply too over populated for such antisocial behaviour.
Obviously then, our regions differ greatly in observed entitlement from 'sporting' people.
I too comment from 1st hand regular experience over many years.

SEL

Visit site
I'm ok with drag hunting and the blood hounds. Theoretically I'm ok with trail hunting too but there's too many reports of hounds off trail for me to believe hunts are consistently following the law. I've seen hounds go after foxes that have broken cover.

On private land I am pretty ambivalent about what hunts get up to but where they cross public land / roads / bridlepaths then I think there should be a code of conduct and I think at the bare minimum that includes contacting residents and repairing damage - including damage to public bridlepaths.

One of the posters above pointed out this is the Horse and HOUND forum. I think that publication in its current form is on borrowed time unless they and hunt supporters sort out their sport so all packs operate within the law and with courtesy to the public.

I'm Dun

Visit site
It doesn't sound like the same incident- on the video I'm thinking of, the rider was undertaken by more than one cyclist, and there were also other cyclists passing a (distressed) horse far too close on the other side (which may not be illegal but was certainly inconsiderate. I'll see if I can find it, although it's perhaps not super relevant to the thread.

I know the one you mean and it looked terrifying for the poor girl caught up in it.

Clodagh

Visit site
They are pretending to trail hunt at the moment but actually hunting fox. If all hunting is banned they can't do this any more, simply being out with a pack of bhounds managed from horseback would be illegal.
The original ban (as you know) was worded very ambiguously. Equally, legally, how easy would it be to draw up legislation that stipulated which breed of dog is or isn’t allowed to be worked in multiples?

Sandstone1

Visit site
Do you mean all hunting with dogs? And is this specific to foxes? I have working bred whippets, I dont work mine but they have relations who do an excellent job of pest control. My youngest does regularly pick off squirrels and rabbits though.Same with terriers and ratting. I dont think theres anything better for a big rural rat infestation, than a pack of ratters.

For what its worth fox hunting, aka trail hunting cant carry on. They have been absolute idiots about it and brought this upon themselves. I dont think theres any way at all it can be salvaged now.

Blood hounding is a totally different beast and I cant see any reason why that cant continue.
I am specifically thinking of hunting with packs of hounds. I do understand that some dogs are used for pest control. Ie rats, squirrel etc but for the purposes of this poll I'm talking about organised packs of hounds

Rowreach

👀
Visit site

Fred66

Visit site
They are pretending to trail hunt at the moment but actually hunting fox. If all hunting is banned they can't do this any more, simply being out with a pack of bhounds managed from horseback would be illegal.
The law would be a nightmare and the consequences of trying to write the law could be catastrophic for your average pet owner.

If foot followers adopt 2 hounds each, kennel them and pay kennel fees for them and then exercise them on private land whereby other like minded people do the same prosecution could be even more problematic than it is now.

Banning exercising dogs off the lead even on private property would have quite significant consequences to the general public even if unintended.

Fred66

Visit site
I am specifically thinking of hunting with packs of hounds. I do understand that some dogs are used for pest control. Ie rats, squirrel etc but for the purposes of this poll I'm talking about organised packs of hounds
Its illegal to use dogs for ratting or hares, albeit mice and rabbits are ok, squirrels are ok too.

Wishfilly

Visit site
The law would be a nightmare and the consequences of trying to write the law could be catastrophic for your average pet owner.

If foot followers adopt 2 hounds each, kennel them and pay kennel fees for them and then exercise them on private land whereby other like minded people do the same prosecution could be even more problematic than it is now.

Banning exercising dogs off the lead even on private property would have quite significant consequences to the general public even if unintended.

If the goal was to ban everything including bloodhounds, I actually think it would be very easy to write a law which stated that a large group of riders (obviously you'd have to put a number on it, but let's say 5+) can't ride out with a large group of dogs (again, let's say 5 for ease)- how many ordinary pet owners ride out in this way? You could add something in there about following a scent if people thought it was necessary, but I think it could be easily made about the number of riders and dogs together, rather than ownership.

Fred66

Visit site
If the goal was to ban everything including bloodhounds, I actually think it would be very easy to write a law which stated that a large group of riders (obviously you'd have to put a number on it, but let's say 5+) can't ride out with a large group of dogs (again, let's say 5 for ease)- how many ordinary pet owners ride out in this way? You could add something in there about following a scent if people thought it was necessary, but I think it could be easily made about the number of riders and dogs together, rather than ownership.
You didn’t read what I wrote, foot followers

Old school

Visit site
Delighted hunting is legit in our jurisdiction. 300 in lamb ewes and free range poultry operation. They are a vermin, first hand experience. A few excitable TB horses for a bit when hunt is about. But definitely not to the extent of it being for ‘days’ as other unfortunate posters seem to experience. Adding a goat to the yard was a far more upsetting experience for the horses.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Delighted hunting is legit in our jurisdiction. 300 in lamb ewes and free range poultry operation. They are a vermin, first hand experience. A few excitable TB horses for a bit when hunt is about. But definitely not to the extent of it being for ‘days’ as other unfortunate posters seem to experience. Adding a goat to the yard was a far more upsetting experience for the horses.

How would you feel if this were your sheep?

There are other ways to control foxes.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Why can't you shoot them? What do you do in late spring when you have lambs and no hunting? In summer when you have hens and no hunting?

Interestingly, it's been reported by the hunt lobby that there are now fewer foxes in areas where there is no hunting. Make of that what you will but it sounds like good news from your point of view.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Why can't you shoot them? What do you do in late spring when you have lambs and no hunting? In summer when you have hens and no hunting?

Interestingly, it's been reported by the hunt lobby that there are now fewer foxes in areas where there is no hunting. Make of that what you will but it sounds like good news from your point of view.

Kind of linked to this I guess..... we live in West Berkshire in a small hamlet. We are surrounded by estate land. All I can see from our house is fields, the odd bit of woodland, less than ten houses and a new vineyard on the opposite side of the valley. Now, they do shoot pheasants in the neighbourhood, so I am not sure how much fox culling goes on, but..... in the 14 years we have lived here, I could count the number of foxes I have seen within 1/2 a mile of our house on one hand. I saw more when I stayed in London (Canning Town for LIHS) for three nights last December. They were scavenging bins etc., but looked pretty healthy. I do think they are becoming more urbanised.

Fred66

Visit site
You're getting desperate here Fred.
No I am pointing out that the law would be both difficult to write and difficult to enforce.
If I am out walking two dogs off the lead on private property where I have permission and someone else is doing the same then how can you make the presence of others on horseback unconnected to me or them an offence ?
I am not saying this would happen I am just pointing out that trying to write that law could have unintended consequences.

Reactions: TGM

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Our local drag hunt is nothing like hunting with the local foxhounds. The drag has their runner who is dragging scent in full view, the field and masters are fast & furious absolutely no chance they are fix hunting.
Quite and drag hounds rarely leave the sent trail(well they didn't when I went) they go over set course and jumps where as fox jump anything in their path, wire debris etc where horses get injured.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I think the results so far are very interesting. Given that this is a forum of riders, country people , landowners and horse owners etc. I know it will never happen but what do you think the results would be if there were ever a National vote?

moosea

Visit site
No I am pointing out that the law would be both difficult to write and difficult to enforce.
If I am out walking two dogs off the lead on private property where I have permission and someone else is doing the same then how can you make the presence of others on horseback unconnected to me or them an offence ?
I am not saying this would happen I am just pointing out that trying to write that law could have unintended consequences.
Wouldn't it just be a case of

All kennels to be licenced and registered with their local authority.

All dogs who stay more then 12 weeks and who are excersied off lead in open areas to have microchip and ear tattoo.

Exersicing more than 4 dogs from one kennel off lead to be outlawed.
Exersicing 5 or more dogs off lead in an open area to be illegal

That sort of thing would do it? Would prevent numpties from walking 8cdogs off lead in the local park and licensing of kennels would raise revenue

minesadouble

Visit site
I think the results so far are very interesting. Given that this is a forum of riders, country people , landowners and horse owners etc. I know it will never happen but what do you think the results would be if there were ever a National vote?
The horse owning demographic has changed hugely in recent years.
I've owned horses/ridden for over 50 years, was brought up on a farm with a mum who bred horses, and we now have a large livery yard, I also used to run a large local show so I have seen this at first hand.

The majority of owners are no longer Country people, they keep their horses like overgrown pets and I may sound harsh, but, compared to 40 or even 15 years ago the level of knowledge of the average horse owner is pitiful.
Sad, but I assure you it's true!

ycbm

Visit site
The horse owning demographic has changed hugely in recent years.
I've owned horses/ridden for over 50 years, was brought up on a farm with a mum who bred horses, and we now have a large livery yard, I also used to run a large local show so I have seen this at first hand.

The majority of owners are no longer Country people, they keep their horses like overgrown pets and I may sound harsh, but, compared to 40 or even 15 years ago the level of knowledge of the average horse owner is pitiful.
Sad, but I assure you it's true!

Are you suggesting that lack of knowledge about keeping horses means that people can't make reasonable judgements about fox hunting?

Because if you are, I know an awful lot of old horse people and country folk who disagree with fox hunting.

Clodagh

Visit site
Wouldn't it just be a case of

All kennels to be licenced and registered with their local authority.

All dogs who stay more then 12 weeks and who are excersied off lead in open areas to have microchip and ear tattoo.

Exersicing more than 4 dogs from one kennel off lead to be outlawed.
Exersicing 5 or more dogs off lead in an open area to be illegal

That sort of thing would do it? Would prevent numpties from walking 8cdogs off lead in the local park and licensing of kennels would raise revenue
I’d be stuck then!

ycbm

Visit site

I don't think it would be at all difficult to write a law that would immediately stop mounted followers and all the antisocial behaviour that goes with them, and probably shut down most hunts through lack of revenue from mounted subscribers.

Foot packs of course are already illegal and yes they will be more difficult to stop. But easier if everyone is aware that 20 years on it's still happening and very much illegal and the police stop colluding to allow it.

minesadouble

Visit site
Are you suggesting that lack of knowledge about keeping horses means that people can't make reasonable judgements about fox hunting?

Because if you are, I know an awful lot of old horse people and country folk who disagree with fix hunting.
As soon as I finished typing I realised that's how it looked! 🙈
My point was that Sandstone's description of the horse owning demographic is no longer 'landowners and Country folk' but more made up of urban dwellers who have not had what was once considered a 'traditional' horsey background.
I'm not suggesting that their opinion is not valid or that people who have had such a background are bound to support hunting, merely that the whole horse owners being 'land owning country folk' is now very far from the reality.