Should there be a weight limit for people at shows (and if so, what and how?!)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
From reading parts of this thread and the constant 10st being referred to that we are all talking about women riders? My OH at 10stone would be a skeleton with organs, he’s 6ft4. Even when he was fit he was healthily around 13st with his height and build, he’s not a slim built guy. Do you think olly Townsend or William fox Pitt are 10st?

So again are we prejudicing against men or are we just bashing our fellow women who can’t be 10st? Me at 10st on the scales does not look like 10st. 15% of Farans weight right now is 86kgs, me with tack is less than that, 20% of Farans weight would be 117kgs however when you look at me in picture riding folk would say I’m too heavy for him but I’m less than the 15% rule.

I personally find these threads disgusting. Yes it’s about welfare but it is also very telling in our ways of looking at each other that we are very willing to speculate on peoples weight and suitability for riding based on looking at them.

I haven’t read every reply but what I have read has made me rather sad in all aspects
I must have missed where people were commenting on anyone's appearance, I think the vast majority of the discussion has centered around what weight it is reasonable or ethical to expect a horse to carry.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I must have missed where people were commenting on anyone's appearance, I think the vast majority of the discussion has centered around what weight it is reasonable or ethical to expect a horse to carry.

It must be about appearance as how can you comment on if someone is too big or heavy by not looking at them?? The whole thread is about speculating on peoples weight. People have mentioned how they sit in the saddle and hanging over it so again going on appearance.

cariadbach10

Visit site
It must be about appearance as how can you say someone is too big or heavy by not looking at them?? The whole thread is about speculating on peoples weight. People have mentioned how they sit in the saddle and hanging over it so again going on appearance.
From a place of love, I think you've misunderstood. The thread has focused more on numbers (rider weight in kg/stone and percentages) than images. It can be very hard to tell weight from visuals, unless they're REALLY striking!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
It must be about appearance as how can you comment on if someone is too big or heavy by not looking at them?? The whole thread is about speculating on peoples weight. People have mentioned how they sit in the saddle and hanging over it so again going on appearance.

So what do we do? Just ignore it? Never address it? Horse welfare isn't a thing? Genuine questions.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
So what do we do? Just ignore it? Never address it? Horse welfare isn't a thing? Genuine questions.

So are we accusing world class male riders in all disciplines of animal abuse now then? Genuine question??

I never said don’t address it, however more thought needs to go into it other than setting weights etc. more factors come into it than just weight

PapaverFollis

Visit site
People know how much they weigh. Other people's perceptions of them may vary.

If world class male riders are heavier than 15% of their horse's weight including tack... then yeah. MrPF is my height and weighs the same as me. Granted he looks slimmer than me.

Healthy weight range for a 6ft4 male is 10st12lb to 14st9lb... Still less than 16 stone.

Dexter

Visit site
So are we accusing world class male riders in all disciplines of animal abuse now then? Genuine question??

I never said don’t address it, however more thought needs to go into it other than setting weights etc. more factors come into it than just weight

Such as? Weight is one of the only ways we can measure what a horse can comfortably carry surely?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site

Not sure why you put "??" after Genuine question? Did you think mine weren't?

But weight is a factor. Sometimes the heaviest (no pun intended) factor.

No one is accusing male riders in all disciplines of animal abuse. Many people here accept that there can be factors other than weight or in addition to weight, and that it can vary amongst different horses, even if the horses are the same weight or height.

There are times when someone it simply to heavy for their horse.

There are indeed some male riders too heavy or tall or both for their mounts. Generally you don't see that at the top of the sport, for a variety of reasons.

I think fitness of horse and rider plays a huge role too. As does height and body shape sometimes (yes those are appearance things but how else do you access).

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

How many world class riders are more than 15% of their horses normal fit weight?

Mark Todd was big on the tiny Charisma but he was whip thin, his saddle was minute and the horse himself was running at least 25 kilos light that can be counted in to lower the rider weight.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Not 'people' but me.
I've seen a few in the last couple of years, 18" saddles and a huge bottom spreading over the back, from a clearly overweight person. A local was exactly this, she was 19 stone and deluding herself and still riding, till her horse broke - 3 times - till her vet told her he wasnt at all happy about treating the horse for her if she wasnt prepared to help it. Yes, I know her weight as she did a slimming plan and proudly stated start weight once she had shed 9 stone. Her 17hh horse is now in a 17" saddle, not the 18.5, it's been ridden since last October and stood up to the work to date.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
These threads always favour those naturally look thinner and make out that they are the only ones that should be privileged to ride.

Yes there are people out there that are too heavy I never once denied that however they are raw raw spot for someone that has always been told no matter their weight that they look too chubby due to body shape.

Sitting here with a spinal injury scared to eat is making this an extremely raw thread so going to step away now

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
There are several equestrian disciplines that require the rider to meet weight requirements. I'm not aware of there being any obese riders at competitive levels of the main equestrian sports, but perhaps others can inform us.

There seem to be several contributors to this thread who are upsetting themselves with even contemplating weight being a factor to be considered. This is not about you, it's about HORSES and their welfare, and rider weight is very much something that must be thought about.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Carl Hester weighs 86kg.
Edward Gal weighs 70kg.
Ben Maher weighs 68kg.
Oliver Townend weighs 83kg.

If a person looks chubby but rides at less than 15% of their horse's weight then where's the issue? Noone is focusing on how a rider looks here, just the weight. If I'm talking about how someone looks it is to say that we are probably underestimating rather than overestimating how much people weigh because we have completely normalised being overweight.

But in terms of horse welfare it is a person's actual weight that matters. But they do also have to fit in an appropriately sized saddle.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Totally agree, ☺️

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
These threads always favour those naturally look thinner and make out that they are the only ones that should be privileged to ride.

Yes there are people out there that are too heavy I never once denied that however they are raw raw spot for someone that has always been told no matter their weight that they look too chubby due to body shape.

Sitting here with a spinal injury scared to eat is making this an extremely raw thread so going to step away now

Maybe thats what I should do @Cheeky Chestnut .. step away from the crisps ???

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I mean, if someone is overfilling or hanging over the back of their saddle it doesn't fit them and it's more than likely uncomfortable for the horse too. Yes, that's appearance, but people aren't just saying it to mean it looks bad off of pure aesthetics, they're saying it because it's not correct. No matter your size, you need a saddle that propery fits you and your horse. That's basic

I'm not ashamed to admit when I don't fit into a saddle. Or when the saddle doesn't fit me and/or the horse.

JoannaC

Visit site
Seriously though, I knew I had put on some weight and just by cutting out alcohol and junk food, I shifted it easily. It’s quite amazing now when I go to Supermarkets, the amount of junk food, the average person has in their trolley. I’m sure there are more overweight people now than back in the olden days when there was no junk food! Just meat and veg!
I can relate to this as last year my weight had slowly crept up to 11 stone, i'm 5/6, so I decided to try Noom. Well I lost the grand total of 2 pounds which went straight back on so I decided to accept that this was my new weight. This year I was going in for an op and discovered my blood pressure was through the roof so had to change my diet in order to have the op. Cutting out caffeine, salt and sugar basically meant no junk food whatsoever and I have dropped a stone. Now I would have said I was really good when I was on Noom but we do kid ourselves. I do still have fish and chips and the odd bit of cake etc but just eat far less and feel so much better. The other interesting thing is I don't look any different really so it would be difficult to gauge what someone weighs. The other thing in relation to exercise I agree it is mainly what you eat but also when. When I was working full time I always did the horses before work in the Winter and could eat far more than when I did them in the evening over the Summer months even though I was doing the same amount of exercise. I think this falls into the intermittent fasting as I would go longer without eating.

marmalade76

Visit site

Look up Blog of a cob on Instagram ( I hadn't seen it before it was mentioned on this thread and I was horrified), this is what people are referring to when they talk about hanging over the saddle! I'm no expert but this one looks nearer 20st than 10. IMO people of 10st should be able to ride just about anything over 13.2.

palo1

Visit site
I think the 15% calculation is a really sensible one; and 20% is probably unfair. Measurements and calculations are useful; you can weigh tape a horse easily enough and weigh ourselves and although weigh tapes are not 100% accurate they do provide good enough information to identify whether the rider and horse are appropriate (as long as the poor horse isn't obese too of course...) I am under the 15% calculation on my light horse though I often think I look plenty big enough BUT the maths works, the saddle fitter is able to work with both of us and the horse has worked from age 3 to 15 with nothing other than abcess related lameness. A fair weight is a huge part of keeping a horse sound and happy though other things matter too. Numbers aren't personal and have nothing to do with our appearance or sense of ourselves. I find it mentally healthier to use the scales as an indicator of healthy riding weight than as judge and jury of my dietary and other choices too tbh!! It is possible to choose not to ride or to find another horse if we cannot make the weight for a particular horse. That happens in other sports too and whilst it isn't healthy to struggle with weight management and emotional distress around that there are lots of choices available to us to find a way through.

Upthecreek

Visit site
I struggle to understand why some people on this thread have chosen to volunteer personal information about their weight/size if they are sensitive about it ??‍♀️ Also why they are offended by comments which are relevant to the subject but which are not personally directed at them.

It shouldn’t need to be about judging people by their appearance and making assumptions about their weight. It should be about individuals taking personal responsibility for ensuring they are not too heavy for the horse they ride. Or if they are too heavy find a more suitable horse. In the perfect world that’s all that needs to happen.

Peglo

Visit site
Look up Blog of a cob on Instagram ( I hadn't seen it before it was mentioned on this thread and I was horrified), this is what people are referring to when they talk about hanging over the saddle! I'm no expert but this one looks nearer 20st than 10. IMO people of 10st should be able to ride just about anything over 13.2.

just had a look at blog of a cob. Holy sh**!!! That’s the worst I’ve seen on Instagram. I couldn’t scroll past the 3rd post. Surely no one can see that and not feel desperate to help that poor horse? I’m not shaming anyone for their weight, be whatever size you want, but that rider should not be on that horse.

palo1

Visit site
I am very uncomfortable about referring to specific individuals but in the instance named above I think the issue of body positivity has literally overtaken equine welfare and I don't know why this is either tolerated or celebrated on social media. Does anyone know why this hasn't been called out to a degree that riders in this situation aren't making other choices? It utterly bewilders and concerns me and I cannot make sense of it.

Last edited:

TPO

Visit site
I am very uncomfortable about referring to specific individuals but in the instance named above I think the issue of body positivity has literally overtaken equine welfare and I don't know why this is either tolerated or celebrated on social media. Does anyone know why this hasn't been called out to a degree that riders in this situation aren't making other choices. It utterly bewilders and concerns me and I cannot make sense of it.

I don't know about this one but the Ray the goth account blocks anyone who doesn't gush about her. Anything that questions her or vaguely (as well as blatantly) questions thr weight of horse and/or rider or lameness is gone. Or so says the tattle life forum on the equestrian influencer threads.

palo1

Visit site
I don't know about this one but the Ray the goth account blocks anyone who doesn't gush about her. Anything that questions her or vaguely (as well as blatantly) questions thr weight of horse and/or rider or lameness is gone. Or so says the tattle life forum on the equestrian influencer threads.

Yes, that is what I suspected but how can companies supporting these riders not see that there are equine welfare implications in promoting their brand in this way? There are welfare implications for riders too and one of the good things about equestrian sport is the need for riders to remain fit and healthy in order to ride. I hate commenting on anyone's size actually and have my own struggle with the battle to both enjoy food (which I really do lol) and remain an appropriate weight for the horses I have chosen to keep and ride. I can't have it all lol. For me this kind of social media content is not remotely helpful in any way - to horses or riders. Are there people who feel otherwise though?