The agility thread

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Last run of the last day - in the driving rain - strike 5, G6-7 jumping. Champ here we come!

View attachment 123329
Well done. I assume that was Southam. I was there too, luckily did my last run just as the rain was starting. Have you got more than one Schipperke? I spoke to a woman with two and she said she had another as well.
We had some much better runs than usual and had a 5th in G2 Jumping. I found the Galican contacts a bit slippery, my girl literally slid to the end of both the A-frame and dogwalk, never known her do that before. Lovely show as usual.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I was running in that 15 minutes or so when it properly rained, it stopped just as we got back to the car - typical!

The person with two has his grandad and auntie, one is enough for me. 😜 If I’d known you were coming I would have offered you a cuppa, I was camping. Definitely last camping show of the season, very glad to be home!

I love Galican contacts but their jump cups are a huge pain in the bum.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I was running in that 15 minutes or so when it properly rained, it stopped just as we got back to the car - typical!

The person with two has his grandad and auntie, one is enough for me. 😜 If I’d known you were coming I would have offered you a cuppa, I was camping. Definitely last camping show of the season, very glad to be home!

I love Galican contacts but their jump cups are a huge pain in the bum.
I did see another black schipperke that I now know was you. Those jump cups really are a pain aren't they. First time I had seen them and not impressed. I thought the contacts were ok until Maddie slid on them, still not sure why as she never normally does and they seemed very rough. So very glad that I only had 4.5 miles to go home, think I would have fallen asleep if any further. I am getting a bit old to do 7 runs in a day.

sarah.oxford

Visit site
Loki is now 15 months now, this was him at club night tonight.
Tentatively thinking about getting him measured and dipping my toe in at nursery steeplechase in the not too distant future 😱

You definitely should, looking really good.

Arthur had a jumping win at Inspire on Saturday, so we are now grade 3, after however many days 'in limbo '.
He also got his bronze agility warrant through the post last week, which is another goal achieved!

Jenko109

Visit site
So we have booked our first show away from our usual training ground.

A month away and officially bricking it.

My dog has some reactivity. Does not show it whatever really at our usual show ground as she is used to it there, but it is almost certainly going to rear its head in a new environment.

Now it never lasts long. When we first get there she will be barky-lungy. This will quickly change to a bit of anxious screaming. In total this wont last longer than maybe 3 minutes at the maximum.

She will then relax and be absolutely fine. I will be able to line up alongside other dogs and walk past other dogs and all the rest of it. I'll be able to sit her pretty much within 2 foot of another dog, no problem. She might take the odd bark at a scatty eyed collie or similar who is zoning in on her, but generally will stop having any response to any other dogs who are not paying attention to her.

She is absolutely not aggressive, just initially reactive under pressure. Are people usually understanding? Do you see reactivity from time to time at comps?

Basically, will we be immediately ordered out of the show ground 🙈🤣

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Do you have a yellow "needs space" jacket for her or you? You see quite a lot of these at competitions and most people just give the dog a bit of space. Presumably it is an indoor competition which can be a bit more restricted but people are generally understanding. Do you have someone who could queue for you if need be ?

Jenko109

Visit site
Do you have a yellow "needs space" jacket for her or you? You see quite a lot of these at competitions and most people just give the dog a bit of space. Presumably it is an indoor competition which can be a bit more restricted but people are generally understanding. Do you have someone who could queue for you if need be ?

I was actually just looking into the leads. Will look at jackets.

I'm not worried about queuing with her. Once she has settled she will be fine. It's just that initial few minutes that she will appear unhinged 🤣

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I've seen people wearing just cheap workmen type hi viz vests, written on in felt tip, which would be a reasonably priced option.

There was a huntaway at the show I was at yesterday, he was absolutely gorgeous but very loud. People were clearing space for him but it wasn't aggression, he was just being a huntaway ! :D

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Well done! I'm sorry to have missed it, had breed club champ show so a 5am start, a long drive and a day's work (on committee) to finish 5th of 5. Didn't even win a raffle prize 🤣

Jenko109 if it's genuinely just three minutes of noise, controllable and with no danger to anyone else, I would do laps around the edge of the exercise area and just brazen it out until she's settled. I dare say there's more reactive (to greater or lesser degrees) dogs at agility than 'normal' ones.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Jenko my lurcher gets reactive at shows, and sometimes in training, no one pays any attention and I manage it by a mix depending on what’s really going on. With Rew it’s generally the noise of a dog going flat out through the tunnel, and he does react to black labs and black cockers, because we have one of each and they all play rough.

We you know anyone at the show, or are you on your own?

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Well we ventured out in the wind and the rain today and had a fab time at a new venue. Pebs was so good. 3 clears and we managed to stay within the time 😊 An agility win meant we are now Grade 3. Plus two 2nds in agility and jumping. A long day but well worth it!

Attachments

• Compress_4634dbec-ce38-43ce-acbf-ebe39ea4903020231104_182712.jpg
    Compress_4634dbec-ce38-43ce-acbf-ebe39ea4903020231104_182712.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 5

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Well we ventured out in the wind and the rain today and had a fab time at a new venue. Pebs was so good. 3 clears and we managed to stay within the time 😊 An agility win meant we are now Grade 3. Plus two 2nds in agility and jumping. A long day but well worth it!
Well done, you have well and truly earned your place in G3.