The Egypt Horse Project ?

Spring Feather

Visit site
Yes I meant the OP of the trash talking post, sorry if you were confused, though if you know you've never trash talked PFK or asked for posts removed then you must have known I didn't mean you.

We all knew you meant Lochinvar, probably Lady La La did too, but for clarities sake she asked :smile3:

Lady La La

Visit site
Yes I meant the OP of the trash talking post, sorry if you were confused, though if you know you've never trash talked PFK or asked for posts removed then you must have known I didn't mean you.

I was reasonably sure, but since you said 'this OP' I thought I had better check in case you had me mixed up with a TEHP supporter! No offence intended.

Does anyone have any news on the donky with the false leg?

Capriole

Visit site
No offence meant or taken, I could definitely have worded it better but was knackered due to insomnia and no sleep, again :eek:

Capriole

Visit site
Not even that this year, just can't sleep. With one thing and another nothing due this year, few next year though so at least I'll have a valid reason to be up all night. (Maybe it's 'I'm-usually-on-foal-watch' time of year related insomnia, lol)

Spring Feather

Visit site
Not even that this year, just can't sleep. With one thing and another nothing due this year, few next year though so at least I'll have a valid reason to be up all night. (Maybe it's 'I'm-usually-on-foal-watch' time of year related insomnia, lol)
Well ... you could be! A 6 and a half hour flight is all it takes to help me out :smile3:

Tazzytop

Visit site
If it weren’t for the sad fate of the horses, donkeys and assortment of cats and dogs at TEHP, this situation reads like a (very) bad play. Ashleigh Lotherington; who has stupidly believed the hype and is a deluded fantasist, shored up by her increasingly demented Mother, Di – if there is an award for Top Tiger Mum, she must be on the shortlist! I don’t think telling the truth was high on the list in the Lotherington house when Ashleigh was growing up.

Then you have the Concerns & Questions page, whipped into a regular orgasm of frothing spittle by Narnia von Trapp (Narieda); the equally deluded ‘Big Momma’ Maryann of RWI fame #jokes; crap photographer Paula S and her many sheep; Sheridan (Russian doll of Big Momma), Cupcake Kim, various old women called Jan, Oily, Debbie, Eloise to name the few and now their page has been hi-jacked by PFK devotee Hayley Wilson – she runs the Fluffy Feet page for that other Angel of Death, Marte – these ridiculous women (Ash/Marte) think observing a vet, dentist, farrier then makes them one, I am including Marte’s staff, Sherif and Emma, in that statement. The excruciatingly fawning Hayley thinks Marte is spelt Martyr and worships the ground (Red Sea perhaps?) she walks on. HOW MISGUIDED

Sammi G, Chrissi C and Maryann – now lifelong ‘FB’ forever friends *rolls eyes* after Continental Horse Rescue failed spectacularly and Beth Satan dumped Sheba from the promised ‘loving lifetime home’ she had offered, so they rallied themselves to be the Angels of Mercy (so many angels, how do they keep up!) - must be gnashing their collective molars; have you read Maryann’s blog about PFK? And now they are all on the same page (metaphorically as well as literally), having to play NICELY together in their combined aim to take TEHP down. What’s the trite phrase these bored and witless expats love to spout ------ “Only in Egypt”

Egyptian horse charities warning...Long, very long.
2 posts by 2 authors

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
2/16/13
I've been very skeptical of a lot of the groups who were going to "save the starving horses of Giza" for a very long time and have gotten internet stones thrown at me for it. But I live here, I know the businessmen (I will NOT call them horsemen) in the Nazlit Semman area of Giza and there has been a huge upsurge of these sorts of groups since the revolution. Some of them were relatively misguided efforts on behalf of charities from outside Egypt, like Princess Alia's charity (from Jordan) that was distributing bags of yellow corn to some of the guys in the pyramids area in the spring of 2011. In the first place, yellow corn is hardly the feed of choice for starving horses. It's expensive, too high in sugar, and likely to cause founder. On the other hand there was little chance of horses being damaged by it because 90% of it never made it near a horse. It was being bagged up in smaller quantities and sold in the market instead.
And to be honest, there are no more horses starving in Giza than there have been horses ridden to death in Giza in the past when tourism was booming. The bottom line there is that horses in this area are viewed as disposable assets and if they are not needed, generally they aren't just starved to death, but water (which is free) is denied to them so that they die of thirst. Nice people, those.

Last winter was a busy time for groups like this and some of the local entrepreneurs saw a good thing and hopped on the band wagon. This was the point when I really started noticing because I ended up with one of the mares rescued from the pyramids by some of the workers. Sheba is a 14 hh mare, about 6 yrs old, who must have weighed in at about 200 kg when she was purchased by one of the workers. She had scars all over her body, open wounds and someone had beaten her on the face with enough force to break the orbit of her right eye. The rescuers thought that they had a place for her to heal at a stable run by an English woman and her Egyptian husband in Hurghada (a diving resort on the Red Sea that is in the desert and a good long haul for anyone needing to bring in feed from the Nile Valley...not really a great place for stables). It didn't exactly run as planned. Although apparently the couple had registered as a charity in the UK, they were well aware that there was pretty much no one on the ground in Egypt to check up on them. Money sent to them for the upkeep of Sheba and a number of other horses who went to the stable was used for the keeping of the owners' horses, as was the medications and equipment sent by the sponsoring groups. When they were called on this and local people went to check, they found that one horse had been definitely sold back to the pyramids, and a few others had been abandoned in the desert. Sheba was one of the lucky ones in that someone found and recognised her and got her back to Cairo where she was being boarded at a stable (near the pyramids again) but at least under the watchful eye of one of the group members. When this person had to leave Egypt to deal with personal matters in the UK, they looked for a more stable home for her and that's where I came into the picture.

Being the new keeper of one of this FB group's rescues, I then became more aware of some other groups in Egypt claiming to be horse rescues. I don't advertise as one because I can't take in just any horse since I don't sell horses. There isn't a great future in Egypt for most horses once they hit a trough in health or performance. Most horse owners board their horses and can't afford the bills of an unusable horse PLUS its replacement. When horses come to me, they stay here until they die. They work to their physical capabilities giving lessons, pony rides to kids, being Barbie horses for little girls who like to brush manes and tails, or if they are fit, doing our more energetic rides (which are VERY energetic).

To get to the point, there is a group on FB soliciting funds to "rescue" horses in the pyramids, Prince Fluffy Kareem, (to be honest the name makes me want to retch) that is run by a Norwegian ex-belly dancer and a groom from Nazlit Semman. They take horrific photos of horses in the pyramids (and there are many horses there in horrific shape) and solicit funds and donated equipment to help the horses. They have bought a number of horses and installed them in a tiny stable somewhere near the Sphinx, but they are not terribly forthcoming on exactly where. Visits to the stable tend to have to be stage managed. One of the reasons for this is that the horses are doubled up Other horse charities who have collected equipment (fly fringes, nose fuzzies, girth covers, saddles, bridles and so on) have been a bit disturbed by the fact that when they brought things to PFK they were shown a stall filled with other donations. Asked why these hadn't been handed out to people who might need them, they responded rather vaguely that the "right" people hadn't been found. The pyramids area has literally hundreds of stables of anywhere from one horse owned by someone to take people for a ride at Giza to stables with close to one hundred horses, some of whom are registered Egyptian Arabians. It is, in fact, a giant horse market and most of the money is made in the buying and selling of horses and tack. Many of the horses are only a couple of years old, thus being very inexpensive and quite malleable psychologically, that are trucked in, tacked up and worked without any training, the hope being that someone with more money than brains or a soft heart will buy the horse for anywhere from 8 to 10 thousand LE (about $1200 to $1800)...generating a profit of about 6 to 8 thousand LE. Not too bad.

I don't want to feel bad that I've been aware of the fact that PFK is a major scam and I haven't warned friends about it. There are good groups who are trying to help the health issues of the horses and to educate the owners. The Brooke, The Donkey Sanctuary, Egyptian Society of Animal Friends, and others are all legitimate. PFK is not and most of the donations are being used to increase the wealth of the people running the "charity"...paying for travel to and from Egypt, accommodations, and other things such as camels and carriage horses to be used by the Egyptian partner at Giza.
So please, if any of you want to help some of the horse charities here, contact me. Back when the sheikhs were buying up a lot of American horses about 12 years or so ago, people asked me if what they were being told about retirement to pastures was true, and I told them that retirement pulling a cart in Iraq was far more likely. The Gulf simply doesn't have pastures. It's desert, empty, sandy desert. Most of Egypt is also desert. We live on and farm only perhaps 4% of our land, and the rest is uninhabited and pretty much uninhabitable. Egypt is a tough place for people, especially now with the economy in a tailspin, and a very tough place for horses. If you really want to help people in Egypt, come on over and visit. It is hardly as dangerous as the news enjoys making it out to be and we would all appreciate the tourism...and you will get some awesome discounts.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
msga...@gmail.com

Egypt Face to Face
www.alsorat.com
http://www.facebook.com/AlSoratFarm
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...s-Al_Sorat_Farm-Abu_Sir_Giza_Governorate.html

Weblogs:
Living In Egypt
miloflamingo.blogspot.com

Lady La La

Visit site
I don't think you'll have much luck with your attempts to demonize PFK here... their results speak for themselves.
The problem TEHP are having, is that (unlike The Brooke, PFK, ESAF etc) there appears to be a wealth of proof (yes! Factual proof!) showing the poor animal care and dubious accounting that is occurring within their organisation.

As an aside, you need to delete your post. Naming names will only get this post deleted and that is NOT going to be beneficial. This post has had thousands of views, and thats thousands of people that are hopefully now not about to part with their hard earned money in the name of helping TEHP. Getting this entire thread removed because of your one post littered with unfounded allegations and names, wont help anything.

P.S Marte the 'angel of death' ...Really? You dont need to be Colombo to see that ANY horse in Egypt would benefit from being in her care, and the care of PFK.

Clearly rescue within Egypt is a bitchy place, with charities trying to bring eachother down left right & centre... but what it boils down to at the end of every day, is that the lives of the horses over there are improved. Something that PFK deserve a bloody medal for achieving.

Last edited:

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Tazzytop if your research was as thorough as reading H&H rules then you have failed, its a big no no to name names and you have done that which leaves me to believe you have an actual grudge against lots of people including PFK.

Lady Luna

Visit site
Well, that gave me a chuckle Tazzytop until I realised there is nothing remotely funny about scamming people into parting with their hard earned cash and the suffering of the animals involved, shame you can't do something more productive with your time than poking fun at people who are genuinely trying to help
Has anyone seen the latest video on Q&A page with those 2 oafs manhandling that poor foal? What was the point of trying to make a very sick foal who was so obviously very, very ill stand up? Absolutely baffling and bordering on torture

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I don't think you'll have much luck with your attempts to demonize PFK here... their results speak for themselves.

P.S Marte the 'angel of death' ...Really? You dont need to be Colombo to see that ANY horse in Egypt would benefit from being in her care, and the care of PFK.

Clearly rescue within Egypt is a bitchy place, with charities trying to bring eachother down left right & centre... but what it boils down to at the end of every day, is that the lives of the horses over there are improved. Something that PFK deserve a bloody medal for achieving.

This, this and this!!

sheikha

New User
Visit site
"Then you have the Concerns & Questions page, whipped into a regular orgasm of frothing spittle by Narnia von Trapp (Narieda); the equally deluded ‘Big Momma’ Maryann of RWI fame #jokes; crap photographer Paula S and her many sheep; Sheridan (Russian doll of Big Momma), Cupcake Kim, various old women called Jan, Oily, Debbie, Eloise to name the few"

As much as I have tried to resist getting sucked into this thread, I have now joined the forum to respond to some of the personal attacks on me. In the interests of transparency, I would like all readers to know that I am Sheridan, who at the request of admin went in to the stables at Nazlet Samman on several occasions, including when Ms Lotherington broke herself and abandoned the place with little or no feed or instructions for care of the animals there.
Frankly I really do have better things to do, but the sheer bile and pointlessness of Tazzytop's post cannot go unchallenged. We all know exactly who you are and I for one am shocked at your disloyalty to persons that you have so resolutely defended/supported despite being appraised for months and months that things were not right, both by locals (vets and horse people) and visitors to the stables. But then again, you did ask me to assess and report back, just unfortunately you did not like what I had to say, preferring to 'shoot the messenger' rather than face the facts that you and others had been so seriously conned. What breaks my heart, Tazzlytops, is that you could have saved many lives and stopped so much suffering, never mind the fraud issues, if you had had the courage to act on the copious information made available to you as well as your own belief, as shared with me at the time of my involvement, that all was not right. And YES, I do have all the emails, PM's, photos, phone records, to back up what I am saying.
It has taken me a lot of courage to come here and write this after the abuse, intimidation and bullying I received from admins and the owner/her family and friends following my involvement last year - It made me quite ill, but enough is enough, it is time to move the whole sorry tale on and find a proper solution for the animals still struggling on at Mr and Mrs Ahmed's stables in NS Cairo. Helpful, respectful dialogue is what is needed, with transparency and truth as the guiding principles, not personal attacks, threats and diversionary tactics. That has got us where we are now - in a mess with animals continuing to die and suffer unnecessarily. PLEASE, if you know what is going to happen, what the game plan is, then just tell us, so we can all feel confident/comfortable that the future is secure for all the animals currently in the stables.

BlueFriesian

New User
Visit site
This Egyptian Animal rescue web seems very tangled indeed... In my desire to make sense of it all, I have researched through all the charity pages mentioned in this thread; been directed to other ones; stumbled upon other horse forums; seen Brooke attacked; ESMA attacked; PFK attacked and now TEHP. Curiously, in all this, one same person is popping up everywhere. Has Wendy's journey within the Egyptian rescue scene taken her from ESMA to PFK to TEHP? And if so, why?

Lady Luna

Visit site
Very wise words Sheikha but words I fear that will fall on deaf ears. The complete lack of transparency and the covering up of numerous animal deaths at TEHP are what began this whole sorry saga in the first place and nothing that has happened since appears to have changed. They are still being secretive, still deleting valid questions and comments from supporters and hiding behind fake profiles. We all want change at TEHP but in reality you can't polish a turd and until it's completely flushed away nothing will change. I really feel for the animals that are now being held as virtual prisoners at TEHP and left in the 'care' of inexperienced people who, quite frankly, don't have a clue what they are doing. My only comfort is that ESAF are going in and making regular checks but still the death toll continues. The failure of TEHP to care properly for these animals and continue along the path they have blindly chosen to keep following ignoring advice from vets, farriers and other highly professional advisors leads me to the conclusion that it needs closing down immediately and the animals removed. I believe there are reputable places local to TEHP that are prepared to give a home to these animals as I know that is what concerns us most, nobody wants to see them thrown onto the street but this bickering cannot continue...........animals are dying behind the gates of TEHP

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I cant see a difference in TEHP mark 2 with the same admins in place, Im in agreement with Lady Luna it needs closing down now and all the equines moved elsewhere. My initial worry in this was they would end up on the streets but the opposition for want of a better word has made provisions for them.

Lady La La

Visit site
"Then you have the Concerns & Questions page, whipped into a regular orgasm of frothing spittle by Narnia von Trapp (Narieda); the equally deluded ‘Big Momma’ Maryann of RWI fame #jokes; crap photographer Paula S and her many sheep; Sheridan (Russian doll of Big Momma), Cupcake Kim, various old women called Jan, Oily, Debbie, Eloise to name the few"

As much as I have tried to resist getting sucked into this thread, I have now joined the forum to respond to some of the personal attacks on me. In the interests of transparency, I would like all readers to know that I am Sheridan, who at the request of admin went in to the stables at Nazlet Samman on several occasions, including when Ms Lotherington broke herself and abandoned the place with little or no feed or instructions for care of the animals there.
Frankly I really do have better things to do, but the sheer bile and pointlessness of Tazzytop's post cannot go unchallenged. We all know exactly who you are and I for one am shocked at your disloyalty to persons that you have so resolutely defended/supported despite being appraised for months and months that things were not right, both by locals (vets and horse people) and visitors to the stables. But then again, you did ask me to assess and report back, just unfortunately you did not like what I had to say, preferring to 'shoot the messenger' rather than face the facts that you and others had been so seriously conned. What breaks my heart, Tazzlytops, is that you could have saved many lives and stopped so much suffering, never mind the fraud issues, if you had had the courage to act on the copious information made available to you as well as your own belief, as shared with me at the time of my involvement, that all was not right. And YES, I do have all the emails, PM's, photos, phone records, to back up what I am saying.
It has taken me a lot of courage to come here and write this after the abuse, intimidation and bullying I received from admins and the owner/her family and friends following my involvement last year - It made me quite ill, but enough is enough, it is time to move the whole sorry tale on and find a proper solution for the animals still struggling on at Mr and Mrs Ahmed's stables in NS Cairo. Helpful, respectful dialogue is what is needed, with transparency and truth as the guiding principles, not personal attacks, threats and diversionary tactics. That has got us where we are now - in a mess with animals continuing to die and suffer unnecessarily. PLEASE, if you know what is going to happen, what the game plan is, then just tell us, so we can all feel confident/comfortable that the future is secure for all the animals currently in the stables.

Gosh, there's a lot more to all of this than I had realised.

I do agree with your post though, respectful dialogue IS whats needed. I'm still so confused as to why TEHP continue deleting comments, and refusing to speak up about all of these accusations/concerns. Surely things might have a chance of progressing, if they would just break this ridiculous vow of silence they appear to have taken, and stop attempting to carry on like everything is normal. They simply can't keep this amount of censorship up, not when they run a page soliciting donations.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Gosh, there's a lot more to all of this than I had realised.

I do agree with your post though, respectful dialogue IS whats needed. I'm still so confused as to why TEHP continue deleting comments, and refusing to speak up about all of these accusations/concerns. Surely things might have a chance of progressing, if they would just break this ridiculous vow of silence they appear to have taken, and stop attempting to carry on like everything is normal. They simply can't keep this amount of censorship up, not when they run a page soliciting donations.

The problem with lack of updates etc is that the people who are actually on site are not informing the admin who are all in the UK so I believe.

If anyone dosn't know Morsey died four days before admins knew of it, one of the admins was so incensed by this she left, she did return at a later date but lessons havn't been learned at all. Its just a catalogue of disasters, their constant lack of informing their supporters to what is going on but they are very quick to whip out the begging bowl when they want more money.

The sooner this sham is shut down the better and perhaps the owner can finish her trimming course and look for gainful employment, preferably in Australia.

Lady Luna

Visit site
Originally Posted by Lady La La

The sooner this sham is shut down the better and perhaps the owner can finish her trimming course and look for gainful employment, preferably in Australia.

Indeed

Lady Luna

Visit site
He is stabled in Abu Sir not in "dreary, polluted Nazlet" gushes Ash
Charming, Nazlet is fine for her cash cows but her own horse deserves so much better!

scrunchie

Visit site
Well, I'm just gutted that it all ended this way. It seemed so good at the beginning - helping the locals to help the animals. :(

Last edited:

sheikha

New User
Visit site
Well, I'm just gutted that it all ended this way. It seemed so good at the beginning - helping the locals to help the animals. :(

I don't think that there is anyone on here who feels any differently, I certainly share your feelings scrunchie. Unfortunately I also feel a ton of guilt too as I have known for a long time what has been going on, though to be fair to myself I did try very hard to let people know, but guess I just wasn't able to sustain the attacks from supporters/admin/owner et al and had to withdraw. It has only been when others have finally seen the light so to speak, that I have felt able to speak out again :( May God and the animals forgive me........

Lady Luna

Visit site
You have absolutely nothing to reproach yourself about Sheikha, you spoke out and by the sounds of it were the victim of the most terrible bullying campaign by people who are, quite frankly, old enough to know better
The admin on TEHP are infamous for their bullying, I know of many people who say they received the most awful pm's from TEHP admin when they voiced their concerns that things were very wrong
It now appears TEHP is planning to start afresh in Dehab with the exact same admin which is absolute madness. This is the admin that deleted comments by concerned donators and also blocked them, covered up the abuse going on behind the gates of TEHP and have absolutely no equine experience. This would be the reason behind the posting of so many pictures of appalling treatment stating how well things are, posting photos of a terribly emaciated horse stating the owner had 'done a good job' and other excruciatingly cringing posts. You have to wonder what was really going on if they felt they were posting 'the best' !
How on earth can TEHP 2 hope to make a fresh start with the same people who were involved in the original 'scam'? In my opinion it shows what utter contempt they hold for their donators " we scammed you before but don't worry, we promise not to do it again". Anyone actually believe that?

Lady Luna

Visit site
I have it on good authority from somebody who lives in the area that the gates to TEHP are firmly shut, they are terrified of anyone with a camera that could expose them. I would think that EASF are the only people allowed access at the moment, at least I hope they are. I believe that Ash is still posting on her personal page to any die hard supporters but who knows how recent any of the pictures are?

sheikha

New User
Visit site
I felt physically sick when I saw this website :( So whilst all this turmoil has been going on, and yet more animals dying, Ashleigh has been busying herself building a new website to solicit donations for what and where? For ESAF who have had the Nazlet Samman animals dumped on them, or for her 'private' stables in Dahab? It all just beggars belief! I just cannot believe that there are still people defending what is going on....