The HHO LGV (HGV) Info clinic

charlimouse

Visit site
I have another (slightly random) query, which hopefully somebody can shed some light on! I have my category C1 licence. I need to renew my photo on my licence, so went to the post office and asked for the relevant form (I think it would be a D2???). At this point the woman behind the counter looked at me like I had 3 heads and said she had never heard of it and gave me the D1 form, which says at the top, not to use it for renewing a bus or lorry licence. So where can I get this elusive form from if not the Post Office? As far as I can see it isn't possible to do it online. Also whilst googling to try find the answer I found some info which said I will need another medical to apply for a renewed photocard. Is this true? I passed my C1 in 2008.

Thanks, I hope this isn't too off topic, but I can't find any clear answers anywhere!

ROG

Visit site
I have another (slightly random) query, which hopefully somebody can shed some light on! I have my category C1 licence. I need to renew my photo on my licence, so went to the post office and asked for the relevant form (I think it would be a D2???). At this point the woman behind the counter looked at me like I had 3 heads and said she had never heard of it and gave me the D1 form, which says at the top, not to use it for renewing a bus or lorry licence. So where can I get this elusive form from if not the Post Office? As far as I can see it isn't possible to do it online. Also whilst googling to try find the answer I found some info which said I will need another medical to apply for a renewed photocard. Is this true? I passed my C1 in 2008.

Thanks, I hope this isn't too off topic, but I can't find any clear answers anywhere!
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/uk-driving-licence-photocard-renewal
You are only renewing the photo and not anything else so every other form besides the photo renewal form is irrelevant

Take photo renewal form/letter you got from DVLA to a post office that has the facility to take photos for this purpose and its all done and dusted in less than 5 mins

I got my new licence back in 3 days !

Gemmabel

Visit site
Quick Question for ROG

so i now have my provisional, passed my theory & hazard perception yesterday (1st time yay! :) ) and am ready to start training for my practical. I got the provisional for both C & C1 categories but haven't decided what to do yet.

do you know of any good training centres in the Maidstone, Kent area?

ROG

Visit site

RobinHood

Visit site
Another question from me, sorry! My DQC card has come through with category CE, even though I haven't done my C&E test yet.

Have they made a mistake or does the CPC cover your provisional entitlements as well?

ROG

Visit site
Another question from me, sorry! My DQC card has come through with category CE, even though I haven't done my C&E test yet.

Have they made a mistake or does the CPC cover your provisional entitlements as well?

I assume you drive commercially as you have got a DQC (driver cpc card)?

A DQC refers to all LGV categories so when issued the lot are listed

Entitlement to drive certain LGV categories are on the driving licence

Emmalou.e

New User
Visit site
Hi
New on the forum and needing to pick some brains regarding downplating a lorry.
Looking at a 5.5 ton and wondered if it would be possible to downplate to a 3.5 ton so I can drive it on my licence without having to take my C/C1 test?
Would only plan on carrying a sec a and occasionally my 14.2hh cob. Max horse weight 500kg.
Would this be possible?
And would a C test be needed to drive a vehicle after downplating just because it 'used' to be over the 3.5t weight??
Sorry for the rambly post :)
Any help very much appreciated!

ROG

Visit site
Hi
New on the forum and needing to pick some brains regarding downplating a lorry.
Looking at a 5.5 ton and wondered if it would be possible to downplate to a 3.5 ton so I can drive it on my licence without having to take my C/C1 test?
Would only plan on carrying a sec a and occasionally my 14.2hh cob. Max horse weight 500kg.
Would this be possible?
And would a C test be needed to drive a vehicle after downplating just because it 'used' to be over the 3.5t weight??
Sorry for the rambly post :)
Any help very much appreciated!
Weighbridge it to find empty weight

Now take empty weight from 3500 and see how much payload that leaves for everything which will add weight such as people horse fuel tack coffee flask etc etc

If there is enough payload for everything then down plate it from 5.5 to 3.5

I have never gone through a down plate process so perhaps a google search on that might help or call DVLA and/or VOSA

The licence required goes on the plated weight at the time not what it could be or was before

DragonSlayer

Visit site
...just to double-check this....

OH's boss is ADAMANT we need the CPC licence even though we are going to be driving our 7.5 lorry privately, I'm adamant we don't...

Who is correct??

:p

ROG

Visit site
...just to double-check this....

OH's boss is ADAMANT we need the CPC licence even though we are going to be driving our 7.5 lorry privately, I'm adamant we don't...

Who is correct??

:p

You are

The driver cpc and operator cpc are for LGV vehicles used commercially

OH boss needs to read the law more carefully and if in the transport industry that boss really needs to get up to speed

maggiehorse

Visit site
hi rog my son passed his c1 (i think thats right , he can drive any rigid body lorry) he has bought a 7 1/2 tonne recovery lorry (which has a tacho he fills in each time he drives it ) he uses it at weekends to transport his off roader for recreation , his full time job is driving to clients around the southwest , is he breaking the law driving at weekends?

ROG

Visit site
hi rog my son passed his c1 (i think thats right , he can drive any rigid body lorry) he has bought a 7 1/2 tonne recovery lorry (which has a tacho he fills in each time he drives it ) he uses it at weekends to transport his off roader for recreation , his full time job is driving to clients around the southwest , is he breaking the law driving at weekends?

C1 is for LGVs with a max GVW of 7.5 tonnes
C is for all LGV rigids with no upper max GVW

A C1 used privately is OUT OF SCOPE for the tacho regs so the weekend driving counts as REST for the regs

What I strongly suggest he does is to set the digi tacho to OUT OF SCOPE or insert an analogue card and mark that OUT OF SCOPE so that the authorities do not bombard him with questions and cause him grief

maggiehorse

Visit site
C1 is for LGVs with a max GVW of 7.5 tonnes
C is for all LGV rigids with no upper max GVW

A C1 used privately is OUT OF SCOPE for the tacho regs so the weekend driving counts as REST for the regs

What I strongly suggest he does is to set the digi tacho to OUT OF SCOPE or insert an analogue card and mark that OUT OF SCOPE so that the authorities do not bombard him with questions and cause him grief

thanks very much rog thats very helpfull

another area of confusion is wether my husband has to fill in a log book when he transports his own horses to competitions at weekends and evenings , he works full time and what he needs to do about his tacho

ROG

Visit site
thanks very much rog thats very helpfull

another area of confusion is wether my husband has to fill in a log book when he transports his own horses to competitions at weekends and evenings , he works full time and what he needs to do about his tacho

If using any vehicle under 7.5 tonnes GVW then its out of scope for the tacho regs and is NOT a commercial enterprise

A commercial enterprise is the using of the vehicle in a business situation making or intending to make a profit

Gemmabel

Visit site
ROG

just wanted to say thanks for answering my queries regarding my lorry license. I used Kent Metro Ltd to take my test last week and passed 1st time :) I took them as a recommendation from your site & wanted to say they were very helpful, professional, lovely people and would recommend them to anyone in the area needing training.

Thanks Gemma

ROG

Visit site
ROG

just wanted to say thanks for answering my queries regarding my lorry license. I used Kent Metro Ltd to take my test last week and passed 1st time :) I took them as a recommendation from your site & wanted to say they were very helpful, professional, lovely people and would recommend them to anyone in the area needing training.

Thanks Gemma
fireworks9.gif
fireworks11.gif
fireworks10.gif

C-1.jpg
LPLATE.jpg
:D
welldone.gif
:D

rema

Visit site
ROG, please could i have some of your invaluable information... I am going to do my C1 test and wondered if you could recommend a training place in Devon or Cornwall...Got my Medical tomorrow and looking into booking my Theory/Hpt..The company i have looked at (Celtic Training seems really expensive and you take the test in a 7.5t wagon as opposed to a Long wheel base van) which i would prefer..Any ideas most gratefully received

ROG

Visit site
ROG, please could i have some of your invaluable information... I am going to do my C1 test and wondered if you could recommend a training place in Devon or Cornwall...Got my Medical tomorrow and looking into booking my Theory/Hpt..The company i have looked at (Celtic Training seems really expensive and you take the test in a 7.5t wagon as opposed to a Long wheel base van) which i would prefer..Any ideas most gratefully received
You might as well do C if the only choice for C1 is in a 7.5 lorry

I will try and see if I can find a company down your way that does C1 with a van but I do not hold out much hope

angiek

Visit site
(Have searched the forums for info on this but can't find it, sorry if same question already asked)
My daughter does some freelance teaching of horse riders on their own horses, some mucking out and hacking/schooling for a few people, and teaches one day a week at a riding school. She has her own horses which she transports in our lorry to shows/competitions/schooling venues. She is 28 years old and passed her LGV last year. She does not drive a lorry for anyone else, nor transport any horses for financial reward. Occasionally one of the people she teaches may hitch a lift with her to a show, and contribute to fuel costs, but she is not paid as a driver as such. We have read and reread all the info we can find about the new CPC 'card' and training requirements for this, but still cannot work out of she has to have this?
Thanks in advance to anyone who actually KNOWS the law and can advise us!

ROG

Visit site
(Have searched the forums for info on this but can't find it, sorry if same question already asked)

My daughter does some freelance teaching of horse riders on their own horses, some mucking out and hacking/schooling for a few people, and teaches one day a week at a riding school.

She has her own horses which she transports in our lorry to shows/competitions/schooling venues. She is 28 years old and passed her LGV last year.

She does not drive a lorry for anyone else, nor transport any horses for financial reward. Occasionally one of the people she teaches may hitch a lift with her to a show, and contribute to fuel costs, but she is not paid as a driver as such.

We have read and reread all the info we can find about the new CPC 'card' and training requirements for this, but still cannot work out of she has to have this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who actually KNOWS the law and can advise us!
If the lorry is not being used in any commercial way (making or intending to make a profit) then it is private (should be taxed as such) so does NOT NEED DCPC for the driver = no DQC (driver cpc card) required

That is 100% correct legally

BCG

New User
Visit site
Hi ROG, just wondering if you could help me. My lorry is an F reg, and over 7500kg GVW. I've been told that as it is now over 25 years old it is exempt from the European driving regs. Is this right?
Thanks for the help,
BCG