The thread of all Olympic Threads

piebaldproblems

Visit site
Credit where credit's due - Richard Vaughan is less annoying today. Haven't heard anything controversial or overtly stupid so far.
To be fair to the man, he must have been told to bring up the conversation about CDJ.

I don’t mind him at all anymore, he does provide the information that the other commentators don’t. But this is my fifth day of listening to him so I think I’m used to him now.

Boots*McGruber

Visit site
I'll give credit where it's due. Yes the mouth needs to be much quieter and drier, but that was probably one of the most harmonious tests I've seen Glamourdale do. Very little tail swishing and a more open frame than in the past.
Watching it I thought the same thing so I think my eye is getting better (I’m no expert but always want to learn). I didn’t know whether to watch her or not as I haven’t enjoyed some of her tests in the past but Glamourdale seemed more relaxed today.

SAS56

Visit site
I do wish Nicky ( whoever she is) the female commentator would actually stop fangirling over some of the horses/riders and say what is actually in front of her. Freestyle was very fussy in the mouth ( as she always has been) and Wendy was both in front and behind the vertical on many of the movements. She seems to be so splayed behind on the centre line, she is narrow in front but still looks a bit like a wheelbarrow shape to me. But hey, what do I know! lol

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
The chestnut horse (which is gorgeous) for India is all front end with little else in his movements.. that extended trot was laughable. I do wish this spidery leg nonsense would disappear!

Parrotperson

Visit site
It this is always the way. Certain people always get great marks. Whether the test is correct or not. Whether it has tension or not. When her the horse has a fussy mouth or not. Tis the way of top class dressage. Makes it difficult to watch for me. A lot of under marking yesterday for some lovely horses.

Today the complete opposite. 🙄

piebaldproblems

Visit site
Nicky's saying that it's interesting how the riders differ in their choice of music but I'm pretty sure this Austrian rider has just picked her favourite film's soundtrack (Spirit and something else).

j1ffy

Visit site
I'm just catching up on some key tests after a morning of work calls.

I didn't think Glamourdale was more open in his frame than usual tbh - he has a much better neck conformation than Everdale and has always presented a nicer picture IMO. Lottie rode it fairly quietly, he can do a far more 'spectacular' test but I suspect team orders have been to play safe for qualification and save the horses for the weekend. Let's hope they maintain the softness while they go for more expression...

Freestyle definitely looked a bit tense, aside from the contact issue her ears are usually a lot floppier! She looks better than she did with CDJ because she's stronger and more experienced - I don't think we should underestimate how many of the basics were installed by CDJ (hopefully without whips.....).

Back to work now so will watch more later, I'm not sure I can face watching the Werth/Helgstrand combo though!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I skipped the Werth test, I absolutely will not entertain her as a rider in any way - and her public speaking out about horse welfare is the most laughable thing I have ever heard of.

I quite enjoyed the first Finnish rider (I'm playing catch up) and the slack he had on his curb rein throughout, it almost feels like a protest in some way against needing to have the double. Whilst the Spanish horse downed tools somewhat, it was also nice to see a non-warmblood go, even if the Lusitano does truthfully hold the dressage pedigree ;)

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
To be fair, BTV wouldn't make much sense to the non-horsey audience and she is saying that the neck needs to be more open for a better test.
I think they're using a fair amount of terminology that wouldn't be understandable to a non-horsey audience anyway and BTV isn't a complicated thing to give a little explanation to.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Quite liked this Australian combo. Not sure why she's chatting again like they've done a crap test.

Also, in the judging - are they comparing the horse to itself for the marks? So for example: marking extension as the difference it shows to its own collection, or against other horses (i.e., it's not as extended as someone else's horse.

piebaldproblems

Visit site
Aquamarijn is one tense mare today, very unsettled and frothy mouth. I'm not a fan of this ride but the rider's done well to keep everything going smoothly after the reinback mishap, which was quietly ridden.

piebaldproblems

Visit site
The frame's alright for the most part and the overall picture's not bad, just some tail swishing, but it's rare to see a Lusitano at this level show so little sitting in the piaffe. Maybe he'll score better in a few years time. And he could really use a more open frame in the extended movements as the "simpler" movement of the breed don't help create an illusion of extension.

SAS56

Visit site
Listening to her comments gives me a good insight into why dressage judging is as it is now. Top riders are awarded best marks, flashy front end movers ditto, ignore the mouth and obvious tension and undermark perfectly correct movements that lack pizzazz. A halt that is all over the place gets a mark of 8 if you are a "name" - Time to move on FEI

Burnttoast

Visit site
Not sure what I was hoping for when I decided to watch but it's no more horse friendly than it was before. So many horses wishing (if they could) that they were anywhere but there. Since I'm now feeling slightly nauseated after flipping back to look at Freestyle's test, I'm going to have some tea and do some work and try not to think about the practically zero influence I have in this situation.