Updated BHS advice on Covid 19

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I am probably going to have to wait for whatever the BHS say as YO takes their pronouncements as gospel. But if they say it's ok to travel horses for exercise I'll be over to trainer's place in a heartbeat.
I'm also a key worker with shielding relatives I look after etc, none of that really affects my views. If people can drive to take exercise as much as they want then it's no different really.

my bfg

Visit site
I'm a key worker, we are incredibly short staffed, my hours are all over the place, the yard is my down time
I have continued riding as long periods without it effects my riding confidence, if im worried my girl gets worried and then we are more likely to have an issue
I only use my own tools and tack, I wash my hands a lot (was a germaphobe before this anyway) and keep hand sanitiser in my car
I think as long as people are doing everything possible to protect themselves and others then riding can be classed as a priority to some, I see people still meeting up with others outside their household as a much bigger issue
Our generation has never experienced a pandemic like this and hopefully never will again, I dont believe there's any set way of feeling about what's happeing, just got to do what get's us through it safely

JFTDWS

Visit site
My local arena hire place is opening up with sensible restrictions and rules in place. I'll take my mare out at some point - it'll be nice to ride on a surface after my wonky field. All mine have been in work throughout anyway. None of the coaches I'd be likely to use are insured / accredited through the BHS anyway if I did decide to have a lesson.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Ah lovely the virtue signalling about boxing up a horse being non essential has already begun on Facebook. Why do people insist on hamstringing themselves when there is very clear direction that they are allowed to do something?

Where can I find the very clear direction that boxing up a horse is allowed and what does it say please?

Abi90

Visit site
Where can I find the very clear direction that boxing up a horse is allowed and what does it say please?

If you would care to read the 50 page document produced by the government then it says that you can travel however far you like, wherever you like in England for any exercise you fancy as long as it is socially distant. This voids the “essential travel only” when it comes to exercise.

No, they don’t specifically say that you can put a horse in a trailer, nor do they say you can put a dog in a car, nor do they have a specific list of what constitutes exercise and what doesn’t or what type of vehicle you can use to travel in. They are not going to either, travelling a horse in a horse box in order to do your daily unlimited exercise wherever you fancy is covered by those guidelines. Essential and non essential no longer comes into it. It is implied with the guidelines that it is acceptable.

I’m sure that you will disagree, you were quite vociferous that people shouldn’t be riding as I recall.

I have attached and circled the government advice on travel for exercise 020B0457-6AE2-4871-8FEC-0406E976EF94.jpeg

Upthecreek

Visit site
If you would care to read the 50 page document produced by the government then it says that you can travel however far you like, wherever you like in England for any exercise you fancy as long as it is socially distant. This voids the “essential travel only” when it comes to exercise.

No, they don’t specifically say that you can put a horse in a trailer, nor do they say you can put a dog in a car, nor do they have a specific list of what constitutes exercise and what doesn’t or what type of vehicle you can use to travel in. They are not going to either, travelling a horse in a horse box in order to do your daily unlimited exercise wherever you fancy is covered by those guidelines. Essential and non essential no longer comes into it. It is implied with the guidelines that it is acceptable.

I’m sure that you will disagree, you were quite vociferous that people shouldn’t be riding as I recall.

I have attached and circled the government advice on travel for exercise View attachment 47010

That’s great - thank you.

maya2008

Visit site
Why is this what I want to do? Well... because you cannot live your life in constant fear. You must be responsible and follow advice, but arena hire without contact with another person is about as low risk as you can get! Far, far less risky than going to the supermarket or even taking your bins in straight after the bin men have been.

I have lived most of my life with my health being a fragile thing. I spent my childhood struggling to breathe, my adulthood so far with a variety of health scares. I cannot walk far, or run more than a few steps. I break myself constantly doing basic things like opening drawers and driving the car. But I can still ride. On a horse I am able to go as fast and far as anyone else. So yes that is the first thing I ever want to do - to feel free again. And schooling is part of that.

Horsey people using arenas - not really an issue. Hordes of people heading to the beach - probably far more of one!

And we are as sure as you can get without testing that we have all had the virus- keyworker OH brought it home. We think not from work though, best guess is shopping.

Lexi_

Visit site
Personally I don’t agree with that particular section of the guidance but it is what it is. As Abi said up the thread, it’s not against these new rules to box up and go for a farm ride or arena hire, so it’s completely understandable that places are reopening and that some people want to go to them.

Last time we went to Kelsall to do the farm ride and use their outdoor school I think we literally only saw the person in the welcome cabin and touched maybe two gates (with gloves on). It’s very low risk* compared to other forms of exercise like going for a run in a busy park or on a narrow canal path.

* transmission wise, that is. I’m not getting into the argument about the risk of jumping or XC schooling.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I'm in Wales & therefore locked down for another 3 weeks at least, my youngster I'm waiting to bring across from England is now unable to be moved until this is lifted as transporters aren't operating. Frustrating but it is what it is.

SOS

Visit site
All steps Of reducing lockdown will be met with unease and people wanting to stay ‘safer’ for longer but this virus is here to stay. I have seen people sharing a post a lot on social media saying ‘reducing lockdown does not mean it’s over, it means there is space for you in ICU’... well yes that is exactly what it means. The NHS is not overwhelmed and that is what we are trying to keep in control.

I believe this is how business and/or the self employed will go under though. Instructors have been told to go back to work (their job being outside, not able to be done from home and can support social distancing) yet they are unlikely to get the same business they normally do or will struggle too as cannot do group lessons of more than two etc. It will be the same for hospitality, allowed to be open but with reduced numbers and I imagine little support financially from there forward. Whether that means the government should wait longer until more people are comfortable with reducing lockdown measures I don’t know.

Personally I haven’t been riding and turned my horse away as he was due a short break after a hunting season and I wasn’t going to pay to have a horse standing in that I couldn’t take anywhere. With the updated news, I will likely be bringing him back into work in a few weeks with the hope to being able to get out a little over the summer (to training).

Kat

Visit site
I believe this is how business and/or the self employed will go under though. Instructors have been told to go back to work (their job being outside, not able to be done from home and can support social distancing) yet they are unlikely to get the same business they normally do or will struggle too as cannot do group lessons of more than two etc. It will be the same for hospitality, allowed to be open but with reduced numbers and I imagine little support financially from there forward. Whether that means the government should wait longer until more people are comfortable with reducing lockdown measures I don't know

This is why I am keen to get the updated advice. Not because a lesson or arena hire is the most important thing to me right now - it isn't. But because lots of people are struggling as the BHS/BEF have made it impossible for them to earn a living and the government scheme for the self employed hasn't paid out yet.

There's not much I can do about lots of the things that worry me in this pandemic but I can book some lessons with my instructor, and make an appointment with my back lady. That isn't charity, I need both, but I hope that others will do the same so their income returns to normal.

I won't be booking an arena hire just yet but likewise this will help struggling businesses.

When people are earning again hopefully they will spend their money with other independent businesses. A great many self employed people are facing an extremely difficult time.

The BHS/BEF did freelance coaches a huge disservice by stopping them from working even when it could be done safely.

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
We have to find the balance between reducing transmission risk and keeping small businesses afloat. There's no precedent for this, so there will be a sense of muddling along at first.

I'm acutely aware how lucky I am to still be employed; and during lockdown I've actually saved significant money as aside from the usual household bills all I'm buying is a weekly shop for one. I really want to be able to support people who can't trade online.

Visit site
I don't understand why they have said it's ok in Scotland immediately, we have a higher infection rate than England. What I am waiting for is some clarity over riding schools reopening, we will need some time to bring horses back into work before starting lessons and then I assume it will private lessons only initially.

I am also confused why they have said with immediate effect in Scotland - as we have been locked down for another 3 weeks at least! Told to continue staying home.....

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I can't remember there being any suggestions on the forum that people should stop riding to reduce pressure on the NHS two years back, when the news was full of pictures of people on trolleys in hospital corridors because it was a very bad year for flu. What's the difference this time?

Ambers Echo

Visit site
The BHS/BEF did freelance coaches a huge disservice by stopping them from working even when it could be done safely.

I agree, it was really unfair and an over-reach on their part. In fact coaches were allowed to work within the guidelines and they continued to be insured. Thery could travel to private yards and teach people who were there anyway as their exercise for the day. They were allowed to travel for work and the riders on their own yards. were allowed to be there too obviously. But many didn't because the BHS advised against it and a lot of them are now really struggling.

Abi90

Visit site
I can't remember there being any suggestions on the forum that people should stop riding to reduce pressure on the NHS two years back, when the news was full of pictures of people on trolleys in hospital corridors because it was a very bad year for flu. What's the difference this time?

A new trend for virtue signalling, I’ve decided that the sooner I can buy a house up a valley in a remote part of the country so I don’t have to deal with people who are outraged simply because they want to be the better!

Wheels

Visit site
Another 3 weeks for us in NI. I think our R value is slightly higher than the rest of the UK.

I suppose it gives us a chance to observe what happens in England over the coming few weeks, sorry to use you guys as Guinea pigs :(

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I don't see the problem with waiting 2 days to see what the guidance is from Sport England as that is what BHS is waiting for as it may have insurance implications and people can make up their minds and venues can go ahead with hopefully clear guidelines on how to operate.

I have mixed feelings about whether trainers should have gone ahead. Going to a private yard and straight home, observing social distancing no problem at all. But then I've seen my livery yard with no attempts to follow rules, people gathering in groups, drinking tea, hacking together, sharing headcollars, tools etc., nothing disinfected, some people still working in high risk occupations. So a trainer coming to us would be entering a less than safe environment, touching gates, poles etc then going on to another yard.

It didn't help that the self employment help that freelance coaches would be eligible for can only be applied for from tomorrow - I'm self employed myself and having done the initial check, that's when HMRC have told me to apply.

criso

Visit site
There is no need at all for a trainer to touch gates or poles.

They have to touch 2 gate to get onto our yard and to the school. The other people on the yard would be having jumping lessons, they only stopped because the instructors stopped coming out. I guess that's my point about each environment being different.

And the mounting block moved out of the way once the person has got on, usually they'd get a friend to do it but then that's a 3rd person involved in the lesson.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
They can stand back while the person being trained opens and shuts the gates. And the mounting block can be sorted. This isn't rocket science to allow trainers to train safely and pay their mortgages.

Upthecreek

Visit site
The government is relying on the public to use good judgment and common sense as lockdown measures are eased so I’m sure everything will be absolutely fine ? As long as we do everything it says in the 50 page recovery plan or if it doesn’t specifically say we can’t do something assume that we can then we can’t go far wrong can we?

milliepops

Visit site
They can stand back while the person being trained opens and shuts the gates. And the mounting block can be sorted. This isn't rocket science to allow trainers to train safely and pay their mortgages.

Yeah our yard gate is generally open if there's someone on the yard, otherwise I would have asked him to beep the horn or call me on arrival and I'd have let him in. I ride with the mounting block in the middle of the arena every day so that's not an issue either.
we don't have formal time slots at our yard but most are full livery and don't come on weekdays anyway so it's generally very quiet and easy to maintain an appropriate distance. It would have been very easy to do safely.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Wash hands or sanitise ,wipe down handles with Virkon which can be mixed in a spray bottle and lasts for three days mixed up all these things are easy to manage on a yard / school/ outdoorsurface type situation .
It’s a question thinking through your system and sticking to it .
I am going to start slowly getting going again the horses and I both need the work .

criso

Visit site
I'm talking about gates onto the yard as well as into the school. My stable is a way away so I can't see it from there.

I tried to leave the yard gate open for the vet the other day and it was closed for me, twice! I asked the people on the yard to keep their distance from my stable while the vet was here, attitude was I've got the right to be here and go where I like.

We have to real with reality here not some perfect ideal environment and being on a livery yard that has absolutely no concept of social distancing and no flexibility in anything gives you a different perspective. I don't think a handle has been washed down in the years I've been there. I have my own tools anyway as I like them and they're not for general use as they would get broken.

That's why I said I have mixed feelings. You have the sensible people who will operate in a safe way and then you have the idiots.

Hopefully the freelance instructors will get something back when they can apply for the self employment grant tomorrow.

AnShanDan

Visit site
Biggest issue I can see with teaching is if your client needs first aid. This is what concerns me about (hopefully) getting pony club going again too, how to provide first aid safely. I can see how we might run small rallies with distancing and other measures to avoid transmission, but if someone falls off they need checked over by the first aider. Thing is that in my (very ;)) long experience with pony club, serious falls are rare, most are little tumbles, maybe a few tears and back on, but how do we manage that without risk to either the member or the first aider?

milliepops

Visit site
your experience is very different to mine criso, I guess that's why we have different views on how we could go forward. My stables are on the end of a block facing out into the fields, it's like my own private bit, I also have my own tools etc and the YO keeps a wide berth too (he hasn't been anywhere except home and yard since lockdown, not even shopping).