Why does everyone hate coloureds??

Suec04

Visit site
Now you mention it, neither have I. :eek: So I guess my nightmare horse would be a ginger section D

thank god its not just me! i thought i was being mean! :) my nightmare would be a chestnut TB mare!! (shivers). even though i have worked in a couple of TB studs in my time! :)

3Beasties

Visit site
I don't think there's any colour I wouldn't buy (apart from a cremello) but there are some colours I prefer more than others. I'm not all that keen on few spot appys, flea bitten grey or coloureds that are mainly white. I wouldn't discount a horse on colour but if I am spending money on buying/keeping a horse I would like something that looks nice (imo!) and does the job I want it for. There are no colours I 'hate' though but like everything in life everyone will have a preference to what they prefer.

I currently have a 'plain' bay, a coloured and a chestnut with 4 white socks and a blaze, all of which I think are gorgeous!

SAM_0589.jpg

PJP0448P_zps3ce66cb5.jpg

CIMG4455.jpg

Charmel

Visit site
Don't mind coloureds, some are really pretty. I have bay, black, chesnut, dun and a grey. Never liked greys and swore I wouldn't have one but this pony is a one in a million pony who is the most uncomplicated and talented pony I have ever had the pleasure to own. She will jump 1.9 with a 6 year old and win or 3ft 3 with my 15 year old and win. Working hunter or X country nothing fazes her and she always is in the ribbons in everything she turns a hoof to, absolutely gutted my daughter has grown out of her. She is 13.3/14h Arab x Welsh. No colour is a bad colour except when it comes to keeping clean!

texas

Visit site
I'm with the people saying that there are so many horses out there, why can't I pick one in a colour I like too? If it takes me longer to find the right one, so be it. I can wait, and have (for a cremello :) ). I'm not keen on coloureds or chestnuts unless they are really special, nothing wrong with them, just personal taste. But then I don't like greys and I have owned 3, so colour wouldn't put me off if I had a connection or wow factor. I wouldn't tell anyone shame about their horses colour though!

Last edited:

only_me

Visit site
I don't like traditional native coloured horses. And I definitely don't like feather!! I like show cobs, who couldn't like the humdinger! :D

I do like coloured but minimal white competition horses - Mine is 3/4tb but is coloured!

I mean, who couldn't like this?
P1030230.jpg
[/URL]

or this?
get-attachment_zps0baa6903.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

MiniMilton

Visit site
I love them. They are a pain in the bum to keep the white bits clean though.

After owning a number of coloured horses, with lots of white to wash, I swore I would just buy a bay or chestnut the next time. But every time I see a horse that fits the physical and mental description of what I want, they happen to be coloured!

telfs

Visit site
My friend recently bought a coloured. When looking for a horse to buy, she swore she didn't want a coloured but came home with the most stunning blue and white ID cross. He never fails to get a 'wow' when people look at him. He looks like a full ID but with blue roan/flecked patches on him.

I don't like the 'typical' skewbald/piebald gypsy cob as they're really common where I am but I'm ambivalent when it comes to coloured sports horses etc. My dream would be a chestnut/bay/black with 4 white socks and a big blaze!

devonlass

Visit site
but very against breeding for colour or trying to force coloured into breeds that pure breds are only ever solid. They can never be pure breds so what is the point getting to 99.xxx%. there has been indiscriminate breeding because they were fashionable.

Totally agree with this.

Ironic to see a thread asking what's wrong with them,when I remember threads not that long ago asking why everyone liked them!! Fashion is a fickle thing ;-)

Personally was never a fan,don't like a lot of white,especially on the face.

I have often considered colour when buying a horse,they're a lot of work and time may as well have something easy on the eye ;-)

FionaM12

Visit site
I don't hate coloureds and wouldn't say I'd never have one.

However I love the outline and shape of a horse, and to me the patterns of a coloured horse confuse the eye and detract from the beauty somewhat. Just an aesthetic point. :)

bexcy-bee

Visit site
When I went out looking to buy my last 2 previous horses, smokey and the one before him, I went specifically looking for a horse that wasn't 'boring bay', not because I don't like bays, or find them boring for that matter, but I have had 4 bays and 2 chestnuts, but only 1 palamino, 1 dun and 3 coloureds, along with a handful of greys. I ended up with a piebald first time round, and smokey as the next one, who as most know was a steel grey, but that's only because I saw his ad and fell in love with him, I was looking for a coloured the second time round aswell! I would like to be picky when I was looking for a share aswell, but ended up with another bay. I would never turn down a horses because of its colour though, but the last 2 I purchased were unbroken/broken to race and turned away for 2 years, so I could be more picky with the colour.

Coloureds are so popular nowadays, I think if someone is being mean about your horse, it's because their jealous because he's so beautiful!

Bexcy-bee x

Last edited:

pip6

Visit site
I have a chestnut mare who has never bucked, reared or bolted, didn't realise this was unusual.....oh and a pure bred arab so not exactly a plod.

showpony

Visit site
I think its just a matter of taste BUT have experienced " Racism when out and about" towards my coloured, one girl in a warm last year said to me shes very pretty ..... FOR a Coloured! lol... Also in another show class I did last year all the bottom four were coloureds & all the solid colours at top, judge just didn't seem to have much time for any of the coloureds in the class..

When I went looking I didn't base it on colour, the only thing that was on my list of no's was a heavy cob with plenty of feather - just not my thing...

Here is my girl..

rds1_zps419bd615.jpg

Bpro3_zps1206f9db.jpg

Kitei

Visit site
I love coloureds; I fell in love with a coloured ISH, and wish I knew where he was. It makes for some very, very attractive animals, but I do prefer low-white and 50/50 over high white animals.

I just don't like cobs.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
My eye is always attracted to a good solid colour and there is nothing "boring" about my bay :p

attachment.php

I would however not dismiss any colour provided the horse was suitable for what I wanted to do, although greys and coloureds always need a lot of cleaning to look decent.

HCJ

New User
Visit site
This is my coloured boy (3 year old Irish Draught x Traditional Cob). Had loads of people tell me they don't like his colour and have said he'd look a lot nicer if he was solid grey but I love it.

DSC_0123_zps5a3ee35d.jpg

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
I think a nice coloured can look lovely although I prefer those with more minimal white mainly because I have to clean one that is mostly white and I think if only you were solid chestnut lol. Having said that when I go horse shopping i'll prob come back with something completely white always the way.

joeanne

Visit site
I don't dislike coloureds (I have one after all!), but I do dislike badly marked/badly put together coloureds, and thanks to the fashion of having a coloured, there are many badly put together coloureds around.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I don't dislike coloureds (I have one after all!), but I do dislike badly marked/badly put together coloureds, and thanks to the fashion of having a coloured, there are many badly put together coloureds around.

Equally there are lots of badly put together bays around, in fact in any colour. Just that a badly put together coloured often will go for a higher price ATM, and that I think is the crux of what annoys a lot of people ;)

marmalade76

Visit site
Don't hate them, but very against breeding for colour or trying to force coloured into breeds that pure breds are only ever solid. They can never be pure breds so what is the point getting to 99.xxx%. To often horses parentage has been chosen for colour first, then conformation and temperament etc which should be primary reasons. Not saying all coloured bad, but there has been indiscriminate breeding because they were fashionable.

This, it makes me quite cross, TBH. And they just don't appeal to me, horses should not look like cows.

EstherYoung

Visit site
I like bays. I never think of Wolf as coloured, I think of him as bay. When people refer to 'my little coloured chap' it takes me a minute to realise they're talking about Wolf. He was accused of looking like a bull calf when he was born because of his big white face, but now he's grown up the first thing everyone says about him is 'I love his face markings'. Those fluttery white eyelashes were what got under my skin :) Nb his coloured bits aren't cob or warmblood, they're american.

mel_s

Visit site
I'd never liked them much but neither were they really on my radar. Until i got my american paint horse! I have now fallen in love with the breed and somehow have 4! (oops). One actually is solid coloured though. A good horse is never a bad colour i agree. And i also agree that people shouldnt breed for colour - they should breed for conformation too.

However - i will go on to say i hate coloured cobs as they tend to be more badly bred than solid coloured ones. Not that i like those either but for many people i think they think of cobs when they think of coloureds. Not only do i dislike them anyway but conformation of many seems to have gone completely out of the window because as long as they are coloured then the breeders are happy?! :eek: Dont get me wrong - i see odd ones that are well put together, and some breeders are breedign good ones. But the every day ones out there................. well, i'll say no more as i dont want to offend anyone!

xgemmax

Visit site
I don't think there's any colour I wouldn't buy (apart from a cremello) but there are some colours I prefer more than others. I'm not all that keen on few spot appys, flea bitten grey or coloureds that are mainly white. I wouldn't discount a horse on colour but if I am spending money on buying/keeping a horse I would like something that looks nice (imo!) and does the job I want it for. There are no colours I 'hate' though but like everything in life everyone will have a preference to what they prefer.

I currently have a 'plain' bay, a coloured and a chestnut with 4 white socks and a blaze, all of which I think are gorgeous!

SAM_0589.jpg

PJP0448P_zps3ce66cb5.jpg

CIMG4455.jpg

Wow your coloured is stunning!

I've always liked coloureds but its pureply coincidence that I ended up with one :D I'm not too keen on bays, just think they're so common but it wouldn't put me off buying one if it was the right horse

9tails

Visit site
I'm not a coloured fan, especially the proper-clonky-badly-put-together-mostly-white-moustachioed ones that get bred every year. I do own a horse with four white stockings, a small belly splash and a blaze so I'm not averse to white.

BTW 3Beasties, I love your bay and he/she would be stunning in any colour combination.

angellauren

Visit site
I can appreciate a nice piebald but I don't think I'd seek a coloured out to buy for myself. My best friend bred her own coloured from her mare, he's lovely but not my cup of tea personally.. He'll be perfect for what she wants though and she's happy with him so that's what matters! My other best friend also has a nice coloured Welsh X thing, we don't know what he is but he's very good looking!

ticker

Visit site
I love a good coloured, dislike bays always have but that's not to say I wouldn't not buy a well put together, perfect for the job horse if it was bay.