XL Bullies not banned in Scotland

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I don’t understand the owners who are abandoning/putting dogs into rescue. No matter how traumatic having Zak was (and omg, he was a nightmare sometimes, screaming across the road at another dog-only once ever-was a particular highlight) and no matter how much he cost emotionally and financially (at least 3 rubbish trainers, finally found a really good gundog trainer who probably trained us more than him), I couldn’t have re-homed him. I loved him massively, he was
my baby. Dog not loving this cuddle, yet demanded to be held constantly.
IMG_0567.jpeg

inandout

Visit site
Awful isn't it, most of them being described as friendly sweet dogs, clearly pets too. 😞
Doesnt that rather prove the point about the situation though, these dogs dont seem to have the best owners and are in a stressfull situation yet are sweet and friendly.
There owners will be abe to go and buy another dog and continue the cycle. They might get a dog with a bad temperment that goes onto kill someone but isnt an xl so until that happens totally legal of course. Were as there xl might have been sweet for the next 10 yrs.

Reactions: JBM

Jenko109

Visit site
I think supporting bsl is very short sighted for anyone with gsds probably the most legislated none bull breed in the world.

I have one and support BSL.

If the breed became responsible for multiple fatalities in the same fashion then I would absolutely understand why the decision would need to be made to add them to the list.

They aren't though. Bloody pointy eared beauts.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Doesnt that rather prove the point about the situation though, these dogs dont seem to have the best owners and are in a stressfull situation yet are sweet and friendly.
There owners will be abe to go and buy another dog and continue the cycle. They might get a dog with a bad temperment that goes onto kill someone but isnt an xl so until that happens totally legal of course. Were as there xl might have been sweet for the next 10 yrs.
Well it  might, but it stands a much higher liklihood of  not being of reliably stable emperament than the majority of other breeds. That is the reason for the measures being put in place, so no, it doesn't prove a point at all.

inandout

Visit site
I have one and support BSL.

If the breed became responsible for multiple fatalities in the same fashion then I would absolutely understand why the decision would need to be made to add them to the list.

They aren't though. Bloody pointy eared beauts.

I have no issues with gsds, Ive always been clear I dont own a large bull breed but do own multiple large dogs.

Heres my concern. Xls ae banned, then all big bull types, then lgds, then the only big tough dogs left are the guarding breeds like dobes and gsds. Bsl targets the dog not the owner so they move onto a legal breed after dumping there banned dog. Gsds and dobes ect are the obviouse choice and of course have an historical reputation as a tough dog. Gsds have killed people and are banned restricted in many parts of the world. Bad owners and breeds make the temp worse and as they r the last of the tough dogs left they become madly popular and kill a bunch of people and are banned. its not cause of the breed as such but the circumstances.

You could say thats ok if it happens but in reality the end result is people just keep dieing needlessly as the legislation doesnt work and ultimately if al ''dangerous'' breeds are banned other breeds will be made dangerous by selective breeding into new temperments.

So its pointless. It doesnt save anyone just means they die from a different breed.

Like I say I have no large bull breeds. Im not bothered about the legal side anyway as I wud just ignore it like 1000s of others have done since bsl started. Remember 2.5k pits were exempted in 1991 and now there are 3.3k exempted (pits not xls) so were did they all come from lol.

I think its ineffective and simply moves the problem on to a different breed or type as opposed to resolving things.

inandout

Visit site
Im actually opposed to the ban because I dont want other breeds banned. I have highlighted gsds lgds and a variety of other breeds as example of dogs that cud become the next xl bullie and thus be banned.
I have multpie large breeds and dont want them banned. Its purley selfish as I dont own an xl or similar but its clear that the legisation can be expanded easily, is driven by the media and has no impact on irresponsible owners or breeders.
I believe xls wud of fallen out of fashion naturally within a few yrs anyway.

skinnydipper

Visit site

When they had killed how many people and other pets?

We were just supposed to wait?

Are you are saying XL bullies would have gone out of fashion and GSD and LGDs would be the dog du jour then anyway?

Last edited:

Caol Ila

Visit site
Can you blame “the media” for reporting “the news?”

If Newfoundlands or Tibetan Mastiffs or GSDs or whatever were involved in significant numbers of fatal dog attacks, you don’t think it would be reported? There something wacky in the behaviour of this particular breed which appears to make them more unpredictable and aggressive than other dogs.

For all who say, don’t blame the breed, then why do you accept that collies are likely to herd and spaniels are likely to retrieve. Surely something with aggression as an inbred trait will be aggressive.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Im actually opposed to the ban because I dont want other breeds banned. I have highlighted gsds lgds and a variety of other breeds as example of dogs that cud become the next xl bullie and thus be banned.
I have multpie large breeds and dont want them banned. Its purley selfish as I dont own an xl or similar but its clear that the legisation can be expanded easily, is driven by the media and has no impact on irresponsible owners or breeders.
Well it remains to be seen if "other" breeds start to attack and kill people in the same numbers. I doubt that will happen simply because "other" breeds are less well equipped to do the job, which is a large part of the point that you are spectacularly and consistently missing. I also doubt that XLBullies were going to go out of fashion without the encouragement of legislation.

"Driven by the media"? No, the driver here is the number of attacks, and specifically fatal attacks. That's not invented by the media, that's facts.
GSD's have been very popular dogs for many, many years and haven't at any time been anything like the problem that pitbull types have.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
Well it remains to be seen if "other" breeds start to attack and kill people in the same numbers. I doubt that will happen simply because "other" breeds are less well equipped to do the job, which is a large part of the point that you are spectacularly and consistently missing. I also doubt that XLBullies were going to go out of fashion without the encouragement of legislation.
I hope the Covid boom has faded so there will hopefully not be a new breed stepping into the XL bullie slot, at least not in the same numbers.

But looking at the videos fb now keep sending to me, if they just seized all dogs who’s ears had been lopped off with scissors that would largely fix the problem too.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I hope the Covid boom has faded so there will hopefully not be a new breed stepping into the XL bullie slot, at least not in the same numbers.

But looking at the videos fb now keep sending to me, if they just seized all dogs who’s ears had been lopped off with scissors that would largely fix the problem too.
Is earcropping illegal in the UK? If yes, it beats me why they haven't been seized and owners prosecuted already.

inandout

Visit site
Will the ban stop that happening? It didnt with pits!

What will replace xls and how many people and pets will they kill?

I just think its short sighted to bame one breed and assume a, u can elminate it and b, that will work.

The media reported every large bull breed attack as an xl which inflated the figures.

As a breed they were dropping off anyway, cost of living ect plus the pup prices had dropped from 2k to just £££ like a normal dog.

Now they are banned something werid is happening. They are cheap/free with a big rescue movement behind them. They have made them the martyr dog for some and affordable for others who previously wudnt have got one. This is unlikely to be the best way of making sure they have responsible owners.

Re cropping its not my thing on ashetic level. I dont think its worse than docking tbh. Both r less invasive/risky than neutering. U cud argue cropped dogs attract inner city bad owners. U cud argue that docked dogs attract rural bad owners (working terriers used for stuff thats lost its social license and isnt always legal). In ireland were docking is banned dont terrier owners just say the bitch chewed the tail off, just like xls owners say the dog was imported cropped.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site

I just think its short sighted to bame one breed and assume a, u can elminate it and b, that will work.

The media reported every large bull breed attack as an xl which inflated the figures.

As a breed they were dropping off anyway, cost of living ect plus the pup prices had dropped from 2k to just £££ like a normal dog.

Now they are banned something werid is happening. They are cheap/free with a big rescue movement behind them. They have made them the martyr dog for some and affordable for others who previously wudnt have got one. This is unlikely to be the best way of making sure they have responsible owners.

Re cropping its not my thing on ashetic level. I dont think its worse than docking tbh. Both r less invasive/risky than neutering. U cud argue cropped dogs attract inner city bad owners. U cud argue that docked dogs attract rural bad owners (working terriers used for stuff thats lost its social license and isnt always legal). In ireland were docking is banned dont terrier owners just say the bitch chewed the tail off, just like xls owners say the dog was imported cropped.
No, actually, in Ireland it is now vanishingly rare to see a docked dog. Unfortunately there are many pitbull types in rescue with cropped ears, and yes, people lie about it.

I'm not sure why people are separating XLBullies out from pitbulls; they are simply variants of the same breed, which as far as I know isn’t Kennel Club recognised.

In response to your presumably rhetorical questions, we'll have to wait and see, but I highly doubt that all of the owners of bull breeds are going to suddenly show up with Ovcharkas or the like. They are most definitely not "fur babies" or "big softies".

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

But, but, but neutering a dog is usually done by a vet with the dog under a general anaesthetic isn’t it? Whereas ears are clipped off with a good old fashioned pair of scissors (possibly with some illegally obtained pain relief - who knows….)

How can you possibly compare the two procedures?? 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
I think supporting bsl is very short sighted for anyone with gsds probably the most legislated none bull breed in the world.

And yet in Australia, which has had some of the most punitive measures, there is a thriving IGP and show scene and people aren't getting wiped out by GSDs.

You don't know the name of the dog you cited, do you?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I think, in the case of dogs which capabilities and purposes for which responsible owners will want them, like GSDs, then restrictions have probably been the making of them. It makes it difficult to manage for the wrong kind of owner, and the responsible ones would take precautions around their animals anyway.

That has probably led to them falling out of fashion with the wrong crowd, which leads to more responsible breeding and no breeding for the sake of exacerbating the wrong traits. Better dogs, better owners, better outcomes. Unfortunately, without a strong purpose beyond Tik Tok status dog, I’m not sure the XL bully is really going to be improved.

I’ll add that I perceive the trend to position these dogs as ‘babies’ on social media, and pose them in cutesy videos, often with children, as just another form of status chasing. It’s a transparent bid to obtain social media likes in support of the ‘poor misunderstood gentle giant’ rhetoric. I think it’s just as self-serving as the ear-cropping, wannabe drug dealer types.

But perhaps I’m being a bit harsh, I am hungry and too lazy to put my slippers on to fetch a snack.

On a complete aside, is Nykur no longer on HHo? They have numbers on their name. I must have missed some kind of exchange but I was interested to understand more about the Carpathian import.