XL Bullies not banned in Scotland

inandout

Visit site
No it doesnt matter what breed was banned deaths go up in association anyway. Either from the breed as they end up in hands of bad owners or from the replacement breed.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Maybe people who don't want to go through the rigmarole of exemption or impoundment should think about purchasing a registered breed from a reputable/responsible breeder with papers and a proven lineage and DNA proof linked to their microchip and then there'd be much less of a faff trying to prove what a dog is or isn't by sight and measuring.

People are putting themselves in a very tricky position by supporting backyard breeders producing pups from God Knows What x Who The Hell Cares, inbred on a freak dog or two, or are they....because nothing is properly recorded.

If the XL bully people truly wanted to create a powerful looking family dog, they should have started by doing things right, from the beginning and maybe laid off the APBT and instead bred in a bit of usefulness so they can do something else to help their case, apart from look a certain way. They haven't and this ban is one of the consequences.

I suspect responsible breeders wouldn't want to sell to many of the owners I have seen posturing with their XL bullies.

EstherYoung

Visit site
Re Dogs being PTS - I think the main issue is that a) quite a few landlords have said they don't want the dogs in their properties, leading to a lot of them being handed over to rescues and b) as of today, rescues in England can't re-home them at all as per the regs. So any left in English rescues or handed over to English rescues from today will either have to be kept by the rescue for the rest of their life (with the additional insurance etc required by the regs) or they will need to PTS.

I guess there are worse things than being PTS....

Clodagh

Visit site
Re Dogs being PTS - I think the main issue is that a) quite a few landlords have said they don't want the dogs in their properties, leading to a lot of them being handed over to rescues and b) as of today, rescues in England can't re-home them at all as per the regs. So any left in English rescues or handed over to English rescues from today will either have to be kept by the rescue for the rest of their life (with the additional insurance etc required by the regs) or they will need to PTS.

I guess there are worse things than being PTS....
I was coming on to say that. I do feel enormously sorry for the rescuers and the vets that will have to deal with this. Mental health in the veterinary industry is a huge problem already, I wonder how many dogs will actually be pts over the next month.
I’m also not sure why if you live in a flat you want a large powerful dog bred to successfully fight and attack? But that’s another story. And I know it’s not only flats that people rent.

inandout

Visit site
Dpg numbers also shot up in the past few years not just xls but all breeds.

if people comply with the law or not its up to them, histpry shows significant law changes when people dont comply. The goverment seem to have ignored a huge amount of research and public feeling on this (petitions with 20 times in favpur of not banning them for exampe) so good luck to them trying to enforce it lol.

Many vet groups are now stating they wont pts healthy xls as is there legal right.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Dpg numbers also shot up in the past few years not just xls but all breeds.

if people comply with the law or not its up to them, histpry shows significant law changes when people dont comply. The goverment seem to have ignored a huge amount of research and public feeling on this (petitions with 20 times in favpur of not banning them for exampe) so good luck to them trying to enforce it lol.

Many vet groups are now stating they wont pts healthy xls as is there legal right.
What research have the government ignored? I’m genuinely interested to know.

As for the vets. Yes a hideous position for them to be in I agree.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I wonder if there are any vets on here who would like to comment? Although I appreciate the sensitivity of the issue, and that they not want to.

JBM

Visit site
*I am not speaking for my cousin only assuming*
My cousin is a veterinary nurse and she often talks to me about how hard it can be seeing animals in pain, not being able to help or having to put an animal down.
I don’t think she could watch a healthy animal be put down as she struggles a lot on the days where dogs in pain have to be put down.
My heart goes out to all in the veterinary industry they have a very difficult job and I couldn’t do it

inandout

Visit site
The 2018 efra recomendations on updating the dda.

The dog control coalations up to date recomendations based on there research

If u go on the various wefare groups on fb there vets being listed as not pts xls. Many vets r aware that it is bad publicity even if they arnt bothered but the majority dont want to anyway. This was discussed at length in the recent efra meeting with bva stating that up to 90% of vets had indicated they wud refuse (indivadual vets as opposed to groups)

CrunchieBoi

Visit site
Of course there's a gofundme per TP's screenshot above.
'
Sammy is currently driving Day and Night from the Black Country to Scotland, each time taking a group of XL bullies with him and finding them new homes in Scotland.
About 30 dogs so far he's saved and he’s still going!

Sammy will continue to do this for as long as he can. Please everyone let’s support him and lets help save more XL Bullies
'

Sammy can go and sit on a traffic cone.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Speaking of EFRA.

14 December 2023 (so this is following the evidence session)

Rt Hon Sir Robert Goodwill MP, Chair, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee

"My Committee shares the Government’s concerns about the rise in incidents and fatalities caused by XL Bully dogs. Public safety and the safety of other animals is paramount. As such, we want to place on record our support for the Government’s decision to list XL Bullies under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. It is a matter of record that this Committee has previously raised concerns about the nature and operation of that Act. While it is imperfect, we feel the circumstances presented by the proliferation of XL Bully attacks and fatalities make its use necessary as the most effective tool available to the Government."

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
*I am not speaking for my cousin only assuming*
My cousin is a veterinary nurse and she often talks to me about how hard it can be seeing animals in pain, not being able to help or having to put an animal down.
I don’t think she could watch a healthy animal be put down as she struggles a lot on the days where dogs in pain have to be put down.
My heart goes out to all in the veterinary industry they have a very difficult job and I couldn’t do it
Perhaps she is in the wrong industry for her. Putting animals down is unfortunately part and parcel of veterinary work and nobody enjoys that. One of my vet friends works mainly with racing greyhounds and putting down the ones that don’t make the grade. As she says, they are the lucky ones and she’d rather do that than have them suffer the DIY methods that some people resort to.

JBM

Visit site
Perhaps she is in the wrong industry for her. Putting animals down is unfortunately part and parcel of veterinary work and nobody enjoys that. One of my vet friends works mainly with racing greyhounds and putting down the ones that don’t make the grade. As she says, they are the lucky ones and she’d rather do that than have them suffer the DIY methods that some people resort to.
You’ve just said nobody enjoys that.
I think it’s rude to say she shouldn’t be in that industry just because she also doesn’t enjoy it?

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
I don’t think anyone enjoys watching an animal die no matter the circumstances

Yes I am applying to rescues in ireland which you already know

I know no one 'enjoys' it but putting a suffering animal down is the last and most dignified thing we can do for them.

We can't do it for humans, who just have to struggle on in horrendous pain.

JBM

Visit site
I know no one 'enjoys' it but putting a suffering animal down is one of the last ans most dignified things we can do.

We can't do it for humans, who just have to struggle on in horrendous pain.
I understand that but I think everyone would be a bit weirded out if I said she enjoyed pts animals.
It’s needed but it doesn’t pull on the heart any less.
I think you’ve misunderstood my point in agreeing that vets have a difficult job

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I was coming on to say that. I do feel enormously sorry for the rescuers and the vets that will have to deal with this. Mental health in the veterinary industry is a huge problem already, I wonder how many dogs will actually be pts over the next month.
I’m also not sure why if you live in a flat you want a large powerful dog bred to successfully fight and attack? But that’s another story. And I know it’s not only flats that people rent.

I understand that practices in areas where they are likely to pts large numbers are trying to draw up plans where the sad task is shared between all vets, and they are of course also going to be offering extra support to their vets. Sadly vets will no doubt get a lot of abuse for something they have no choice about.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
On the other side of the vets having to pts healthy dogs, I have just seen a piece from a rescue . They refer to an XL bully they have in their kennels for which they have applied for exemption . The quote from a member of staff " That means a life in kennels which he is not going to be happy about but at least he's alive ".
That poor dog.

Clodagh

Visit site
I hadn’t thought that you were looking for a bullie. I don’t think they’d be a breed BRX rescue get involved with, although they do some collie x and others.

JBM

Visit site
I hadn’t thought that you were looking for a bullie. I don’t think they’d be a breed BRX rescue get involved with, although they do some collie x and others.
Honestly I’m happy to foster any dog they’ll let me
I’ve been rejected by 4 so far due to my unneutered boys so just have to keep asking!