XL Bullies not banned in Scotland

Clodagh

Visit site
There are more providers listed in the comments. My local authority is not on the list but they say as long as the tenant already has permission to keep pets they just need to provide copy of exemption certificate.

"LIST OF HOUSING PROVIDERS WHO WILL ALLOW EXEMPT XL BULLIES TO REMAIN
If you are refused permission please contact Shelter for advice https://www.shelter.org.uk/"

AI draws dogs with ears! Get that!

paddy555

Visit site
Vets coping (or not coping more to the point) with euthanasia, even when it's desperately needed for an animal that is in pain and declining, is why I use the knackerman for my horses and not the vet. Knackerman - kind and caring, but professional and certainly not breaking down in tears. Vet - we had one that upset the poor pony because she was sobbing before she'd even done anything! I think there needs to be some kind of resilience training for vets, teaching them to cope with euthanasia better.
on the other side I have had many animals, dogs, horses and cats, PTS over the years. All by injection, all vets were very professional and I was very happy with all of them.
None of the animals were upset by the vet.
Most of my horse vets are now young females. No problem at all with them.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
How many of the reported fatal dog attacks were not XLs?

Have you seen what a locked on XL does to a human?
D31D319B-824F-44FE-AEEB-71AEC225F069.jpeg This boy was attacked by a loose XLBully dog while walking outside his home. This is after extensive reconstruction surgeries. His arm was also almost ripped off: he has full use of it now but the scarring is horrific.

paddy555

Visit site
Didn’t they send in the army at some point? In terms of pure numbers the f&m cull was exponentially massively more than any likely dog numbers.
yes they did. The numbers were massive and, as someone keeping goats with fires(from the destruction) over the top of the common it was very scary.
The effect on people was beyond awful. Living next to a farmer who was trying his best to import FMD was no fun.

The difference here is that with the exception of bullies in rescues no one has to have their dog destroyed. Life can carry on as normal for them. Just comply with the regs.
If they are in rescues then either their owners didn't care enough to comply or alternatively they are there because they have the possibility of being dangerous

This is not rocket science. I am starting to think that we don't have an XL bully problem but a very "thick" owner problem if they cannot deal with simple instructions or they are simply drama queens.

equinerebel

Visit site
View attachment 131460 This boy was attacked by a loose XLBully dog while walking outside his home. This is after extensive reconstruction surgeries. His arm was also almost ripped off: he has full use of it now but the scarring is horrific.
Exactly. And he survived.

A boy of a not dissimilar age was killed by one a few years back close to where I live.

SOS

Visit site
I’ve written out a response several times but can’t sum it up, this is my opinion.
The veterinary industry is in a bad place currently aside from BSL - there are not enough vets and nurses willing to stay in the industry to look after all the new pets.

Veterinary staff not participating in the euthanasia of XL bullies under BSL are being hailed heroes online. They are within their right to refuse to euthanise (although should recommend a vet willing too).

Veterinary staff willing to participate are being called murderers online, as well as taking on the emotional toll of the euthanasias themselves.

So why just not participate? Many different beliefs but mine is, this is the final act of ‘kindness’ we can give these dogs - a peaceful, dignified death.

The heaviness of BSL should not be placed on the veterinary industry’s shoulders - some goes to the government who made the decision but also the bad owners and the breeders who made £££££. I haven’t seen any posts asking why the huge XL bully breeders have disappeared off social media, why they haven’t accepted the unwanted dogs back (pre laws coming into place) like any good breeder would…

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I’ve written out a response several times but can’t sum it up, this is my opinion.
The veterinary industry is in a bad place currently aside from BSL - there are not enough vets and nurses willing to stay in the industry to look after all the new pets.

Veterinary staff not participating in the euthanasia of XL bullies under BSL are being hailed heroes online. They are within their right to refuse to euthanise (although should recommend a vet willing too).

Veterinary staff willing to participate are being called murderers online, as well as taking on the emotional toll of the euthanasias themselves.

So why just not participate? Many different beliefs but mine is, this is the final act of ‘kindness’ we can give these dogs - a peaceful, dignified death.

The heaviness of BSL should not be placed on the veterinary industry’s shoulders - some goes to the government who made the decision but also the bad owners and the breeders who made £££££. I haven’t seen any posts asking why the huge XL bully breeders have disappeared off social media, why they haven’t accepted the unwanted dogs back (pre laws coming into place) like any good breeder would…
🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Clodagh

Visit site

Equally no vets or vet staff need to state their position on SM. I understand they may be outed going forward but nowadays unless your opinion is on fb or ‘x’ it doesn’t seem to count. 🤷‍♀️

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Equally no vets or vet staff need to state their position on SM. I understand they may be outed going forward but nowadays unless your opinion is on fb or ‘x’ it doesn’t seem to count. 🤷‍♀️

Interesting comment on a vet nurse page this evening, someone was asking what things were like in practice after the pitbull ban, a response ended 'in those days we didn't have the guilt and shaming of social media to contend with.'

I've also seen this evening some efforts encouraging people to email their vets and to collate on social media a list of 'participating' vets. Pray for my inbox come Tuesday 😬

EstherYoung

Visit site
Do you know the numbers that have been refused and why?

From what I can see as long as they already have permission to keep a pet on the property and there have been no previous complaints or Police involvement there doesn't seem to be a problem.
No idea - I was just going off what some of the rescue orgs have been posting as reasons why they're overloaded on social media.

inandout

Visit site
Every one that is PTS is one that isn't going to get in with livestock and one we won't meet straining to get at the horses when we are out riding.
U will see increase in livestock attacks as people dump them in country and take there dogs into country for under the radar walks.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
U will see increase in livestock attacks as people dump them in country and take there dogs into country for under the radar walks.
Well they’ll hardly be under the radar then will they?

Anyway back to a question a few of us have asked of you. What dog (since the original legislation came in) was responsible for the deaths and devastating injury up until 2020 you alluded to?

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Well they’ll hardly be under the radar then will they?

Anyway back to a question a few of us have asked of you. What dog (since the original legislation came in) was responsible for the deaths and devastating injury up until 2020 you alluded to?

I think you’ll find inandout isn’t keen on answering questions 😏

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Goodness, you have extraordinary powers of foresight. We really must make a list of all your rock solid premonitions and tick them off as they come to pass. Do you come from a long line of seers?

SilverLinings

Visit site
From what I've seen, tennants will need to reapply to their landlord for permission to keep their dog and there's no obligation on the landlord to accept.

Given the furore surrounding XL’s it wouldn’t surprise me if landlords do give tenants notice even if the dog is exempted.

This was discussed on the 'another fatal dog attack thread' too, with the list posted by @skinnydipper. Interestingly ALL housing associations in the county I work in are on the list as allowing tenants to keep XLBs (as long as they have an exemption cert). The subject came up (mixed discussion about child safety from XLBs in the home and also the risk of homelessness for children who have an XLB in the household) at a recent county children's group safeguarding supervision and no one was aware of any private landlords that had said they would be asking tenants with XLBs to leave or get rid of their dogs.

I'm sure there are some landlords in the country who may ask tenants with XLBs to leave (obviously there are already landlords who don't allow dogs in the first place), but there doesn't appear to be anywhere near the problem that I expected. I thought it would be the reason for the majority of surrendered/sold and PTS dogs, but it appears not.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Our landlord didn't know the breed until after we got our dog and even then they hadn't asked. I'd emailed the agent about something else and asked them to pass our thanks on to the landlord again as their permission meant we had been able to offer a home to a rescued Greyhound.

Anyone giving vets hassle about humane euthanasia needs to have a word with themselves. I think the stigma of pts is at least as bad as having to do it, if not worse.

inandout

Visit site
All dogs will attack livestock without appropriate training or mnagement. Would be 10000s livestock attacks occur each year in the uk, the majority are unobserved by anyone, the majority do not result in prosecution or dog being shot. I wud estimate about 90% in reality, just go on a farming group and discuss it. Must be livestock owners on here, how many incidents do you exerience or do farmers you know experience v prosecutions and shootings? its a massive problem because its hard to enforce, sound familar.

bonny

Visit site
All dogs will attack livestock without appropriate training or mnagement. Would be 10000s livestock attacks occur each year in the uk, the majority are unobserved by anyone, the majority do not result in prosecution or dog being shot. I wud estimate about 90% in reality, just go on a farming group and discuss it. Must be livestock owners on here, how many incidents do you exerience or do farmers you know experience v prosecutions and shootings? its a massive problem because its hard to enforce, sound familar.
The 90% who go on farming groups to discuss the problem can’t have much to say if no one observed anything.