XL Bullies not banned in Scotland

I'm Dun

Visit site
Honestly I’m happy to foster any dog they’ll let me
I’ve been rejected by 4 so far due to my unneutered boys so just have to keep asking!

You might struggle as every ad I see says not dog friendly and unneutered boys seem to bring out the worst in dogs like that. Try and find an older dog where the temperament is known. The risk of a youngster maturing into a not very nice dog with others is pretty high sadly.

JBM

Visit site
You might struggle as every ad I see says not dog friendly and unneutered boys seem to bring out the worst in dogs like that. Try and find an older dog where the temperament is known. The risk of a youngster maturing into a not very nice dog with others is pretty high sadly.
I would be going off the rescues recommendation so there would be a meet and greet first I’m sure

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I understand that but I think everyone would be a bit weirded out if I said she enjoyed pts animals.
It’s needed but it doesn’t pull on the heart any less.
I think you’ve misunderstood my point in agreeing that vets have a difficult job
Then again it's the vets who have been having to deal with other people's pets that have been mangled by bullies.

inandout

Visit site
I understand that practices in areas where they are likely to pts large numbers are trying to draw up plans where the sad task is shared between all vets, and they are of course also going to be offering extra support to their vets. Sadly vets will no doubt get a lot of abuse for something they have no choice about.
They do have a choice though, vets can refuse to pts and many are.

Fom the efra meeting on the xl ban. https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/b...ve-dangerous-dog-problem-leading-vets-2695293

Snowfilly

Visit site
I wonder if there are any vets on here who would like to comment? Although I appreciate the sensitivity of the issue, and that they not want to.

My dog vet, having stitched up several survivors of XL attacks and lost a couple more, is in favour of ‘shooting the ****ing things.’

We were discussing this when I was in there a couple of months back for the annual jabs.

But he’s a practical man with a hunting background.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
You’ve just said nobody enjoys that.
I think it’s rude to say she shouldn’t be in that industry just because she also doesn’t enjoy it?
I know several people, including qualified vets, who have left the industry because they can't handle the emotional toll of euthanasia; what's rude about that? I also didn't imply that she shouldn't do anything.

Arzada

Visit site

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
It is so, so, easy to speak from your armchair about euthanasia, isn't it? Especially when you've never done them day after day. We can act like we know how we'd feel in someone else's shoes, but if we haven't been in those shoes...

Either way, what a sh*t spot to put vets and rescues in. Congratulations English society, you've done well. Bravo.

Get your bl**dy sh*t together.

This doesn't mean that I don't support bans and I know that there is a problem, but once again, it's because of pure idiocy.

maya2008

Visit site
It is so, so, easy to speak from your armchair about euthanasia, isn't it? Especially when you've never done them day after day. We can act like we know how we'd feel in someone else's shoes, but if we haven't been in those shoes...

Either way, what a sh*t spot to put vets and rescues in. Congratulations English society, you've done well. Bravo.

Get your bl**dy sh*t together.

This doesn't mean that I don't support bans and I know that there is a problem, but once again, it's because of pure idiocy.
Vets coping (or not coping more to the point) with euthanasia, even when it's desperately needed for an animal that is in pain and declining, is why I use the knackerman for my horses and not the vet. Knackerman - kind and caring, but professional and certainly not breaking down in tears. Vet - we had one that upset the poor pony because she was sobbing before she'd even done anything! I think there needs to be some kind of resilience training for vets, teaching them to cope with euthanasia better. After all, most owners will pts when the time comes rather than wait for the animal to decline and die in pain, so every animal they treat, they are likely to one day have to pts.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Vets coping (or not coping more to the point) with euthanasia, even when it's desperately needed for an animal that is in pain and declining, is why I use the knackerman for my horses and not the vet. Knackerman - kind and caring, but professional and certainly not breaking down in tears. Vet - we had one that upset the poor pony because she was sobbing before she'd even done anything! I think there needs to be some kind of resilience training for vets, teaching them to cope with euthanasia better. After all, most owners will pts when the time comes rather than wait for the animal to decline and die in pain, so every animal they treat, they are likely to one day have to pts.
You should hear my near-retirement vet friend on the subject of younger vets and the current training regime. Scathing.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
You can keep posting articles all day long; most of us interested in the subject have probably read them already, there's no shortage. But if you think you're bolstering your argument, you really need to read more widely and outside of spittle-flecked opinion pieces.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
You can keep posting articles all day long; most of us interested in the subject have probably read them already, there's no shortage. But if you think you're bolstering your argument, you really need to read more widely and outside of spittle-flecked opinion pieces.
And actually respond to some of the responses and questions asked of you…

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
I don’t agree with putting down dogs. That won’t solve the problem
I believe in more rules and regulations.
Not having a littler unless you can prove the pups would have homes before breeding.
Having to have a licence to own a dog in the first place after doing a test/classes
Allowing dogs into rented accommodation to stop them being rehomed when people have to move
There is more dogs than we need and yet people are still being allowed to pump out litters of pups for no good reason
Humans are selfish and destructive. Instead of fixing the problem by rehoming the dogs available we will just kill them and continue buying puppies.
I don't necessarily agree with some of the other arguments/POVs that you have posted but I do agree with a lot of what you have said on this one.
I wish the the various welfare organisations would do more to promote the 'Adopt don't shop' ethic unless you need a specific breed for a specific purpose and know what it takes to raise a successful, well rounded dog. Also that they were more realistic about what constitutes an appropriate home when rehoming the dogs in their charge.
I also wish that greedy, irresponsible, ignorant people would stop breeding weird crosses with inherent health issues and unknowable temperament tendencies to appeal to idiots who want the latest 'fashionable ' cross and which will, sadly, soon be featuring on the euthanasia list at over- whelmed rescues along with the xl bullies. Also not in favour of imported rescues - we have plenty of homeless dogs in the UK already not to mention the disease issues.
So I agree that (while I'm not in favour of over-weaning government interference - although we accept it in children's welfare issues) it might very well be better to impose more restrictions/some form of licensing on breeding and owning dogs (and enforce it properly- good luck sadly) to try and bring some sanity and humane perspective to the 'entitlement ' of pet ownership and end the overproduction of dogs and especially the tragic, sometimes fatal and life-changing results of wrong dog, wrong home.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
On the issue of Vets pts the XL, at mine we have a mix of vets who feel uncomfortable with pts a healthy dog and vets that will do it no problem as they have seen first hand the damage they have done to both animals and humans. They said its nothing agaisnt the dog, its the breeders and owners, even if they put the time in training etc, that habe put the dog in this position.....the dog breed should have never been created in the first place.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
From what I've seen, tennants will need to reapply to their landlord for permission to keep their dog and there's no obligation on the landlord to accept.
This surprises me. Having applied for permission to have a dog in rented accommodation I don't remember anything in the additional tenancy clauses about banned breeds or DDA. I can't find a copy of it now to check. Nor did breed of dog or DDA turn up during any of thr research I did about it at the time.

Clodagh

Visit site
This surprises me. Having applied for permission to have a dog in rented accommodation I don't remember anything in the additional tenancy clauses about banned breeds or DDA. I can't find a copy of it now to check. Nor did breed of dog or DDA turn up during any of thr research I did about it at the time.
I also got told the same on fb. I can’t imagine a landlord necessarily knowing what breed of dog you had? We did when we rented but it was actually no pets so when they asked if they could have a dog the breed mattered to us (was in our farmyard).

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Given the furore surrounding XL’s it wouldn’t surprise me if landlords do give tenants notice even if the dog is exempted.

skinnydipper

Visit site
From what I've seen, tennants will need to reapply to their landlord for permission to keep their dog and there's no obligation on the landlord to accept.

Do you know the numbers that have been refused and why?

From what I can see as long as they already have permission to keep a pet on the property and there have been no previous complaints or Police involvement there doesn't seem to be a problem.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I also got told the same on fb. I can’t imagine a landlord necessarily knowing what breed of dog you had? We did when we rented but it was actually no pets so when they asked if they could have a dog the breed mattered to us (was in our farmyard).

Ours were listed on the tenancy agreement, 'number and type of animal(s) to be kept: 2 x Siberian huskies' which I remember surprised me at the time.

skinnydipper

Visit site
There are more providers listed in the comments. My local authority is not on the list but they say as long as the tenant already has permission to keep pets they just need to provide copy of exemption certificate.

"LIST OF HOUSING PROVIDERS WHO WILL ALLOW EXEMPT XL BULLIES TO REMAIN
If you are refused permission please contact Shelter for advice https://www.shelter.org.uk/"

paddy555

Visit site
I understand that practices in areas where they are likely to pts large numbers are trying to draw up plans where the sad task is shared between all vets, and they are of course also going to be offering extra support to their vets. Sadly vets will no doubt get a lot of abuse for something they have no choice about.
that sadly just reminds me of foot and mouth and vets, who having tended generations of cattle carefully bred, were then having to kill them.