XL Bullies not banned in Scotland

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Must be livestock owners on here, how many incidents do you exerience or do farmers you know experience v prosecutions and shootings? its a massive problem because its hard to enforce, sound familar.

No it doesn't sound familiar. Farming incidents with dogs aren't caught because nobody is around when they happen or the farmer hasn't got his gun with him. When was the last time anyone saw a dog attack sheep in the centre of a town with the owner and a load of other people present?

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Well I have been keeping sheep for 30 years now and that with a very well used footpath down one side of the field. In that time I have had just two incidents of dogs chasing my sheep, one off lead lurcher being walked on the footpath and a large Labrador that jumped the fence to get in. No damage done and two very apologetic owners who took care not to do it again. I have had a good many sheep that have been found dead in the field but no foul play, just typical sheep. It is what they excel in. Foxes only take small lambs, any damage they do to sheep would be to a cast sheep or a dead one.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
A small white fluffy thing was chasing my sheep one day. One very embarrassed elderly owner who could not get over the fence. Dog was captured and returned, no serious damage done (sheep were being weaned and no lambs about). The small white fluffy things still walks on the footpath every day but it has never been let off the lead again. The easy way to solve a problem and someone learnt a lesson on dog size and sheep.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have in the past had a few sheep (max herd size: 5 :) ), and my ram was killed by a cocker spaniel and a poodle, owner didn’t “believe” in leads. Prosecuted and compensated, I didn’t exercise my right to have the dogs shot. I have caught dogs chasing sheep 3 times in total, it’s a common scourge, especially if the fields are close to towns, farmers here will shoot on sight any dog in with sheep.

moosea

Visit site
U will see increase in livestock attacks as people dump them in country and take there dogs into country for under the radar walks.
Realistically these are exactly the sort of people who should not own a dog capable of killing a human. So in effect the ban will be doing exactly what it meant to, removing dogs from idiots.

do please be quiet, or go on a critical thinking course.
Please don’t be quiet. An open public forum is for everyone.
The fact that your views differ from others shouldn't, and doesn't mean you have to be quiet

Clodagh

Visit site
Please don’t be quiet. An open public forum is for everyone.
The fact that your views differ from others shouldn't, and doesn't mean you have to be quiet
I’ve no problem with opposing views but ingenious off topic subjects that are completely irrelevant are… what we are all guilty of! 😄. I give you that. 👍

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
U will see increase in livestock attacks as people dump them in country and take there dogs into country for under the radar walks.
I can assure you that any 'under the radar' walks around this countryside will very soon result in a swift lump of lead downward spiral in the XL bully population walking around these lanes and fields. I doubt any loose XL dumped bully would be around too long either, attacking livestock or not. :rolleyes:

SilverLinings

Visit site
I can assure you that any 'under the radar' walks around this countryside will very soon result in a swift lump of lead downward spiral in the XL bully population walking around these lanes and fields. I doubt any loose XL dumped bully would be around too long either, attacking livestock or not. :rolleyes:
As this thread was about XLBs in Scotland (not criticising you Mrs J, just relating it to the topic), it will be interesting to see what the attitude of farmers there will be with right to roam plus an increased number of XLBs who are unsettled after changing homes.

An awful lot of the dogs that have been up for rehoming recently have had ads that say they aren't good with children/dogs/other animals, so shipping them off to new homes in Scotland may well result in an increase in problems there, and eventually a ban being introduced.

They are a potentially very difficult breed to rehome safely and successfully given their size and power, the fact some seem to become aggressive without warning, and the large number who will be rehomed with limited background information being shared.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
As this thread was about XLBs in Scotland (not criticising you Mrs J, just relating it to the topic),

Good point and no problem at all with fair criticism.:) I was, of course, referring to the swift no nonsense reaction of irish rural farmers but I am fairly confident that most self respecting farmers across the pond in Scotland will quite rightly react in the same way.

fankino04

Visit site
I just can't understand people shipping their pet off to Scotland, they say its because they live it so much and want it to have a better life than it would have with the restrictions??? Personally I would much rather work within the restrictions and find a way to enrich my dogs life alongside them than hand them over to a stranger and trust that they will have a good home for life. I can't imagine ever rehoming any pet ( I feel terribly sorry for some who have no choice and hope I'm never in that position), I would seriously consider PTS rather than hand them over to an unknown fate.

maisie06

Visit site
On another note surely there should be rules/restrictions around canine semen being imported into the uk? Assuming XLB's are mostly pit bulls, supposedly banned in 1991 so in theory shouldn't be many around, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that semen was being imported from one particular stud dog in the US....I can understand semen being imported for recognised breeds such as GSD's if you wanted to use a German Stud say to widen the gene pool or add a particular line to your breeding....but XLB's are not recognised by the UK kennel club, how you would restrict it I have no idea but I can see it still happening and these dogs will still be bred and used for illegal fighting etc - we can only hope the ban will remove most of them from idiot owners..time will tell.

Poing

Visit site
XL Bully Facebook and the bad AI is wild.
I’ve searched this for the first time on FB, and it’s eye opening. All the groups / pages going on about the dogs being killed unless rescued, etc. Really over the top in most cases.

I know it’s been done to death, but I just can’t understand why owners suddenly need their pets rescued, instead of complying.

I live in quite a rural area, with just a few dog walkers passing the house most days. One lady has a gorgeous golden lump of a dog. He may be a mastiff, I’ll ask next time I see her. He’s a gentle lump, but it has made me think carefully about his interaction with my little dogs.

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
There's a few around here, all young and relatively well behaved so far.

And the chap I've mentioned before with the blue staff who could certainly be described of as 'of type' but who is quite delightful and dog neutral. She and my male completely ignore each other.

conniegirl

Visit site
The problem with the ban as with any ban is that the responsible owners will comply/get rid/pts/do a bit of attention seeking and the eff the law types will continue as normal. All in all nothing changes.
As i mention above The eff the law types generally have control of thier dog (not always through kind methods) and the other owners (responsible or not) are the type we need to stop owning the dogs. They are the type who allow children to crawl all over the dog and the ones most likely to lose control of the dog inna public setting

twiggy2

Visit site
As i mention above The eff the law types generally have control of thier dog (not always through kind methods) and the other owners (responsible or not) are the type we need to stop owning the dogs. They are the type who allow children to crawl all over the dog and the ones most likely to lose control of the dog inna public setting
The thing is that's not the case.
Scarily it really isn't, those who have dogs for status and 'protection' often have no idea how to deal with the dog when it kicks off

ycbm

Visit site
I have in the past had a few sheep (max herd size: 5 :) ), and my ram was killed by a cocker spaniel and a poodle, owner didn’t “believe” in leads. Prosecuted and compensated, I didn’t exercise my right to have the dogs shot. I have caught dogs chasing sheep 3 times in total, it’s a common scourge, especially if the fields are close to towns, farmers here will shoot on sight any dog in with sheep.

I have a friend who was prosecuted for shooting a dog that had been worrying his sheep. He failed to kill it but wounded it badly so he followed it home a short distance and finished it off.

He was found not guilty.

He also knew, because he had been told, that two doberman had been worrying his sheep. Those doberman belonged to a man who was reputed to be a local drug dealer. He went into the garden and shot the dogs. Downright illegal but the owner didn't report him. But a couple of weeks later his barn burnt down....

I think a lot of people don't realise the danger they put their dogs in allowing any possibility of them worrying sheep.

ycbm

Visit site
I predict that this ban will be similar to the laws on microchipping and the law on passports for horses. Only responsible owners will comply and everyone else will just carry on as they did. Until there is funding to uphold the laws that we have, nothing will change.

Horse passports and chip scanning have completely removed the practice of selling ex race horses as 3/4 or 7/8 RC or event horses, which was the norm on the 70s and 80s. And horse theft is now extremely rare (though obviously there are other reasons for that too). I think they've worked really well.