XL Bullies not banned in Scotland

JBM

Visit site
Sorry, I wasn’t clear. If I didn’t want to keep said unsound field horse (for whatever reason), what should I have done with it?
Well if a horse is unsound just walking in a field I would say they’re in pain (assuming it was attempted to be fixed whatever the issue was) I would pts
The quality of life is affected if they cannot even walk comfortably in a field

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Well if a horse is unsound just walking in a field I would say they’re in pain (assuming it was attempted to be fixed whatever the issue was) I would pts
Both were sound enough to be happily retired to a field. Just not up to ridden work.

JBM

Visit site
Both were sound enough to be happily retired to a field. Just not up to ridden work.
Then I would’ve retired them in a field
I can only control what I do

If you want me to say I would’ve put them to sleep to have another horse I wouldn’t have but I’m aware many would

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
We have what I think is an Anatolian shepherd which has been adopted by an older couple and it’s being let off lead. I met it once and it was quite frightening and the owner assured me he was ok, I’ve had dogs for over 60 years and it certainly wasn’t ok, I had pushed my very old collie into the hedge and it had its hackles up, I insisted he put it on lead as my collie was scared, he did but I now don’t walk in my own village as I can’t risk meeting it again. I now don’t have my collie but have 2 small dogs and a whippet cross who wouldn’t stand a chance with a dog of that size and a numpty owner who can’t read dog body language.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Then I would’ve retired them in a field
I can only control what I do

If you want me to say I would’ve put them to sleep to have another horse I wouldn’t have but I’m aware many would
Ok. I obviously haven’t been clear enough. What I expected you to say was that you would have given them to someone who wanted a companion (or such). And I would have responded asking how I could have been assured that they wouldn’t have been buted up and sold on etc.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Its ok, JBM will give up her riding horse and take it
I think that's quite spiteful.

I have no issue in people having their ridden horse pts when it can no longer do the job they purchased it for but tbh I wouldn't do it myself, I've kept my retired mare. JBM is perfectly entitled to that opinion and has clearly said what she'd do.

JBM

Visit site
Ok. I obviously haven’t been clear enough. What I expected you to say was that you would have given them to someone who wanted a companion (or such). And I would have responded asking how I could have been assured that they wouldn’t have been buted up and sold on etc.
I’m sorry to disappoint but I wouldn’t have given them away especially due to the fact you don’t know peoples true intentions
I would’ve retired my horses with me

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I don’t currently have one but the sarcasm isn’t appreciated
I wouldn’t kill my horses that could happily retire because they can’t be ridden im aware most would
Actually I think many, many people don’t. They keep them, or pass them on.

Wishfilly

Visit site
We have what I think is an Anatolian shepherd which has been adopted by an older couple and it’s being let off lead. I met it once and it was quite frightening and the owner assured me he was ok, I’ve had dogs for over 60 years and it certainly wasn’t ok, I had pushed my very old collie into the hedge and it had its hackles up, I insisted he put it on lead as my collie was scared, he did but I now don’t walk in my own village as I can’t risk meeting it again. I now don’t have my collie but have 2 small dogs and a whippet cross who wouldn’t stand a chance with a dog of that size and a numpty owner who can’t read dog body language.
One of the ones I've seen I think was an Anatolian shepherd, but it looked a bit hairier than the photos I can find online. It was in a very busy area, and not far from a children's play park. There were lots of cyclists about, and it was very interested in them, and to be honest, I felt the owner was struggling to hold it. TBF I haven't seen it in the same area since, but it didn't seem like the sort of dog suited to a town home.

[135546]

Visit site
It depends on the degree of all of those
Many horses are sold with all of these and are happy
Some horses are in more pain than others
Personally if they’re happy I would retire them
An animal is more than the job it does and I believe if they are comfortable unridden and they are pts it’s killing to make the persons life easier not the horses
If an animal is more than the job it does where's your big meadow full of non producing, elderly ex dairy cows?

Oh, wait.

JBM

Visit site
@Nykur
I meant that horses especially with kissing spine can be sore when ridden but perfectly happy retired it depends on the degree
Which isn’t contracting my statements but badly worded

[135546]

Visit site
Able to walk comfortably doesn't mean they might be safer pts than sold on, though.
Ditto a bully which has lived amicably in a family home in the past would be better off pts than shipped off to say, Scotland or Ireland to be 'rehomed'.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I saw an Eurasian shepherd a few months ago. It was lovely. On a lead etc, no bother to anyone.

I don’t have a problem with big dogs being owned by responsible people but it’s very scarey when people tell you their recently aquired rescue dog is ok when it clearly isn’t and it’s big enough to overpower a female in her 70’s quite easily… 😱

JBM

Visit site
If an animal is more than the job it does where's your big meadow full of non producing, elderly ex dairy cows?

Oh, wait.
I did explain that I see pets and animals produced for food differently
Able to walk comfortably doesn't mean they might be safer pts than sold on, though.
I wouldn’t sell on a horse that was retiring or close to it

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Was about to comment on the not seeing animals produced to eat as different, but obviously we think differently. Animals produced for eating still feel emotion, still feel pain, and if you regard PTS of a pet as murder then the same applies to cows etc. I don’t think of it as murder for cows or pets but it seems you differentiate between them

webble

Visit site
Was about to comment on the not seeing animals produced to eat as different, but obviously we think differently. Animals produced for eating still feel emotion, still feel pain, and if you regard PTS of a pet as murder then the same applies to cows etc. I don’t think of it as murder for cows or pets but it seems you differentiate between them
In all fairness I think farmers have to in order to do the job they do. If they didn't there would be no meat or dairy, some may say that's how it should be but that's a whole different thread

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
In all fairness I think farmers have to in order to do the job they do. If they didn't there would be no meat or dairy, some may say that's how it should be but that's a whole different thread

I agree, I’m not saying that animals shouldn’t be used as meat but I don’t like the fact that OP says it’s murder when it’s pets and we are using pretty language like euthanise instead of murder. That was my point , I don’t think it’s murder for either pets or farm animals

JBM

Visit site
I agree, I’m not saying that animals shouldn’t be used as meat but I don’t like the fact that OP says it’s murder when it’s pets and we are using pretty language like euthanise instead of murder. That was my point , I don’t think it’s murder for either pets or farm animals
We do murder farm animals but we do it for a reason and I’m not putting a pretty word on it but I do see it differently than murdering a pet