Yet another delightful rider..... not..... when will this end?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
It IS hard I think, because the industry has a culture of don't question, shut up an put up etc. So even something seemingly simple becomes a huge item.

I was shouted at/screamed frankly into silence in a lesson once, and those who know me KNOW I have an opinion šŸ˜‚ I barely said anything at the time, but I did put a complaint in writing a few weeks later (after a couple of other things happened).
I don't think I have had proper screaming at me. I've witnessed it and didn't do anything. To my shame. I think the person being shouted at has moved on now (because of the shouting, I believe). I would hope they did report it. I'm still in two minds about whether it is too late. If the other person did report, I am a witness to that.

I have definitely had multiple times where I thought afterwards, sometimes years later 'why on earth did I let that person (instructor) speak to me like that?!' So my stock phrase should this come up again, though current instructor seems that good balance of honest/straightforward but also kind and encouraging, will be: 'excuse me, why are you speaking to me like that?'

I will wait to see what response I get about today. It's weird, I am left with a lot of anxiety about it. Being 'nobody' in the horse world perhaps makes it easier to speak up as the stakes are lower, but also means I have little power to do much if those are 'someone' chose not to act. It then sits very uncomfortably.

little_critter

Visit site
Iā€™ve been brought up in an atmosphere of ā€œdonā€™t make a fuss dearā€ (not in the horse world, just generally, my parents were very much of the ā€˜keep the peaceā€™ type) so I find it incredibly hard to pipe up.
Iā€™ve had a couple of lessons that I should have ended early. They werenā€™t abusive but they were so far adrift from our usual training style that a) I just ended up with a confused horse and b) I would never choose to ride that way so there was no point to the lesson.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I have mentioned this elsewhere on the forum but I went to watch the BE Eventing at the South of England autumn show yesterday and it left me with a really nice feeling that out of easily 100+ competitors, and having spent a few hours watching all three phases and several warmups, I didn't see one bit of unsavoury riding/handling or tack. I wish that was the rule not the exception but take it where it comes.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
And it goes on and on..... I guess it's good that the FEI has acted, but so utterly disappointed that one of our under 25 riders has received a yellow card for misuse of a whip warming up in the European U25 dressage championships. I have heard of the rider, but no more than that. But seriously, I can't get my head around misuse of a whip on a horse before riding a dressage test. I don't agree at all, but can sort of understand a jockey in a race coming up to the finish line using a whip to get that extra oomph, or a show jumper/eventer aiming at a large/spooky fence and they feel the horse backing off, but in a dressage warm up..... I mean just why???

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Iā€™ve just seen that, too ā˜¹ļø.

Jeez, misuse of the whip in a dressage warm up by a Brit rider. What the heck goes on at home if he felt it ok to whack the horse right under the noses of the stewards at an FEI competition?

Iā€™d never heard of him before, either. Let him sink without trace from the horse world and go take up some other sport that doesnā€™t involve abusing a sentient being.

He can go smash a squash racquet or something instead.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Although Eurodressage quoted a statement from BD, there doesn't seem to be any statement on BD's website, or their social media sites. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

British Dressage issued the following statement:

"Angus Corrie-Deane was issued with a Yellow Card at the FEI European Championships for Under 25 riders hosted at St. Margarethen in July. The card was issued by the stewards for a breach of the FEI equine welfare policies, under General Regulations Articles 142 and 164.3, due to misuse of the whip. This resulted in Angusā€™s elimination from the individual medal competition. British Dressage reciprocated this action by the FEI, issuing a formal written warning to the rider about his future conduct."

Nicnac

Visit site
Maybe it would be better to remove their right to compete both nationally and internationally for 3 months for first infringement, then 6 months and so on. As that would really harm their reputation and business and make them think.

If I were an owner I would immediately remove my horse from anyone who was sanctioned for abuse of the horse. Hopefully some owners have done so, especially when one of the culprits is a serial offender.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Maybe it would be better to remove their right to compete both nationally and internationally for 3 months for first infringement, then 6 months and so on. As that would really harm their reputation and business and make them think.

If I were an owner I would immediately remove my horse from anyone who was sanctioned for abuse of the horse. Hopefully some owners have done so, especially when one of the culprits is a serial offender.

Agreed. Instead he was competing at the Nationals recently, and placed. Obviously mention of that on SM, but not the yellow card.

Last edited:

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
Iā€™ve never understood the admiration for Bubby Upton - I think she was doing a course walk at Blenheim for the BHS and youā€™d think theyā€™d take more notice of FEI sanctions.. Obviously she had a horrendous accident and has determinedly worked her way back but thereā€™s been quite a few incidents where sheā€™s shown a lack of judgment - I remember one post where she was dragging her dog along the ground and finding it funny .. and the constant H&H stories about her ā€˜dedicationā€™ when she was flying to and from university every week - what that really showed was her parentsā€™ bank balance ā€¦

daffy44

Visit site

I agree, I think the yellow card is not enough when its for abuse of the horse. I understand the principle of the yellow card, but I think its too easy to ignore, very few people know where to look for them, they are not generally made public and its too easy for riders to pretend they didnt happen, I would like to see real consequences for yellow carded horse abuse on an ascending scale for repeat offenders.

little_critter

Visit site
I agree, I think the yellow card is not enough when its for abuse of the horse. I understand the principle of the yellow card, but I think its too easy to ignore, very few people know where to look for them, they are not generally made public and its too easy for riders to pretend they didnt happen, I would like to see real consequences for yellow carded horse abuse on an ascending scale for repeat offenders.
Yes!
If someone keeps getting yellow cards for abuse of the horse then there should come a point when itā€™s decided that we donā€™t want that person associating with horses.

Goldenstar

Visit site
are the yellow cards and eventing warning cards completely separate or do they ever add up together for a suspension?

My knowledge is bit out of date but I think itā€™s two yellow cards in a year then itā€™s an automatic suspension which is for two months .

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
eventing has separate warning cards too, 3 of those in a year also generate a 2 month suspension. I wondered if you could say have a yellow, and 2 warning cards and still not be suspended.

daffy44

Visit site
I do think the yellow card thing needs a rethink .
You can get a yellow card for many things that have nothing to do with the horse and I think it would be helpful have a clear separation between things like that and abuse of horse type situ
Yes, I completely agree, messing up paperwork type of infringement, and abuse of the horse should be treated very differently.