Angry, disgusted, devestated...trust no one!!!

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
I've read all the pages but haven't commented until now. Would just like to say I'm so very sorry that you've lost your girl. I would like to give you a very big hug. Rest in peace Silver shoes, it's a shame you had to suffer due to the neglect of the YO. OP please don't let them get away with this, animal suffering is unexceptable xx

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
I'm so sorry OP. How devastating. I also go a few weeks at a time without getting paid by clients. These are long term clients or I wouldn't do this. But I never ever consider stop feeding the horse in between payments. I'm never left without long and if I needed it ASAP they would send it. Not uncommon to pay a balance at pick up.

People can we please just be a little nicer. OP just lost her mare because some asshat did not take care of her as paid to do.

Terri

be positive

Visit site
So sorry:(

As for those that still seem to think this is somehow the fault of the OP, whether she owed 1 month 3 months or 6 months if this is due to neglect and not acute grass sickness or something similar, although it would still be hard to justify not getting a vet , there is no excuse for what has happened to this horse, the duty of care is with the YO, the OPs only mistake was trusting the wrong person.

RIP Silver Shoes

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your mare OP :(. Not much consolation, but at least she is no longer suffering :(

Really hope you can get a resolution with the yo one way or another, if a friend left a horse with me, I'd care for it better than my own most likely!

Nothing to add except to offer a slobbery kiss from my dog and a whiskery face wuffle from my horse :eek:

Bubbles

Visit site
Poor horse and poor you :( your trust in your friend was misplaced, we've all been there. I came back from a holiday to find my precious mare had laminitis, had it for a week, two of my dearest friends trusted to look after her genuinely didn't think she was anything other than stiff. And one had a degree in eq science! Send pictures to the RSPCA, WHW.Sorry for your sad loss :(

Ouch05

Visit site
Am I missing something as I only read through the first 3 pages but you owe the YO 3 months livery

You obviously read wrong as we owed her 1 month. It was agreed the bill would be paid in full when we collected them. Anyway its totally irrelevant now as she has lost her battle and has been PTS. Disgusting what people can do over meaningless money.

I am sorry we crossed posted. I am very sorry for your loss

Littlelegs

Visit site
Really sorry to read the update. I haven't commented so far as I didn't have anything useful to add. But please keep all records op & pursue the yo so 'it' doesn't get chance to do the same to another horse. Even if a horse is effectively dumped on a financially strapped yo, the least they could do is involve a charity rather than letting the horse suffer. Not saying at all that's what you did op, just making the point that regardless of whether you owe livery or left shoes overdue etc, the yo has failed completely in her duty of care.

Fluffy bunny

Visit site
Im so sorry to hear this silvershoes, you must be devastated. Please try not to beat yourself up, you did what you thought was right at the time. She is beyond pain and suffering now xx

browbrow

Visit site
Sorry silvershoes that your horse didn't make it

To summarise I would say the best thing you can do now is move on

This was a horse, by owners account, a typical TB was left out 24/7 in the snow on grass livery and was to be checked by YO and given hay and I doubt the 20 acre paddock was knee deep in grass at this time of year - that's NOT enough for a typical silly TB that is prone to colic so it wasn't a good solution for a horse that is such high maintenance. The other horse was ok - so YO doing something right. The law states its an OWNERS responsibility to look after a horse's welfare - all these dreamers on here banging on about YO this that and the other take em to court blah blah blah. I am thinking if you didn't have the money to asap pay for additional private transport to take the two horses to your new 500 mile away new home which would have been about 600 quid max, you wont have thousands to spend on legal fees. save yourself more heartache and just grieve for your loss and look forward.

Ignore all the duty of care yard owner crap on here, you have no leg to stand on in a court of law.

So sorry for your outcome - you don't need to think about the what's if's now - what's done is done. Deal with your awful loss and think of the good times and maybe look at this situ in a positive one - that you wont do this to fellow owners that you take on as customers and write something in your contract that says each livery MUST see to their horses each day or put measures in place to ensure this happens etc......

again RIP to your mare and I do hope your new venture goes well.

touchstone

Visit site
A no win no fee solicitor will often take on cases if the claim is over £5,000, and fees may be covered on a household contents policy.
The free BHS helpline is the best bet rather than arbitrary opinions on a forum.

OP I am truly sorry to hear about your mare. :(

russianhorse

Visit site
Oh Silvershoes, Im so so sorry to hear of the loss of your gorgeous mare

FWIW, you did nothing wrong at all. I moved from Surrey to Peterborough and left my lad on grass livery for a couple of months, where he had been on DIY for several years. The YO offered to look after him, I had no reason to disbelieve her and when I picked him up (he'd had the winter roughing it out) he was a picture of health.

I was entrusted with my friends horses over the whole xmas period, and I looked after them (for free) better than I did my own

If I was you, I wouldnt be paying the outstanding livery and would be looking into legal action. What she did was down and out neglect

RIP and run free little mare xx

diamonddogs

Visit site
OMG I felt like I'd been punched when I read this.

Your poor poor little girl. I felt bad enough when my mare died suddenly after a short illness so I can't even begin to imagine how you must feel knowing you had yours stolen from you through willful neglect.

I'm sure your feeling numb right now, so before your loss hits you properly get things moving to get this "friend" of yours everything she deserves (take that however you like).

Honestly, I'm shaking with anger on your behalf, and shedding a few tears for your poor girl.

Run free, little girl. Nobody can hurt you ever again.

xxx

Nitro mouse

Visit site
I am so so sorry for your loss, please don't beat yourself up over this. You put your trust in someone and they have badly let you down. I hope your other horse is okay and you will get him/her home soon xxx big hugs....

Norfolk Pie

Visit site
So sorry to see this. nothing to add that hasn't already been said, can totally understand that you trusted yard owner - if i had a horse here on grass livery but knew the owners (best friend or worst enemy) were not able to check daily, I would do it. It's a basic obligation for any animal, certainly a domesticated one. If it needed hay or feed, I would contact owners. If they said no? I'd call a welfare centre, and feed it myself. We can all make mistakes - I'd like to assume that there was something underlying, and your friend may have been a little unobservant for 48 hours, but not 8 weeks. Im sure no one foresaw something so tragic, but I wouldn't be paying livery until its been established. Life can be so rubbish sometimes. RIP little horse :(

Tormenta

Visit site
I'm so sorry you have lost her.

YO, friend or whatever she has a duty of care surely as to what unfolded on her own land. She neglected to do at least one of many things she could have done when this mare started to go downhill. Money owing or no money owing, I as a horse lover would not and could not have let an animal suffer like this no matter if the owner hadn't made an appearance for eternity and never paid a penny! I fed two geldings for 6 months for nothing, owner never visited and avoided me until I finally managed to track them down and get them moved. Very sad situation, especially for the mare.

ozpoz

Visit site
I am so sorry you have lost your mare.
(I am incredulous at some posts, too - if the owner has made arrangements for someone too look after their horse and is kept updated, how can they be at fault?
I heard of a case locally only yesterday, of a horse being in full livery and returned to the owner starved. Unacceptable.)

maccachic

Visit site
Sorry to hear the update you need a big hug you poor thing.

I hope none of the negative posters every go away on holiday, get sick or have a sudden change of circumstances and have to rely on someone else, they are really out of line and hindsight is an horrible thing sometimes.

pizzi

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your poor mare. I was in the position where I couldn't see mine for 3 months. Left in the care of a friend. Paid her a fortune to keep up the feeding etc.
Mare didn't do well, she was put out on literally, a starvation paddock- idiot!

Mine pulled through but has long term problems. No-one knows what is round the corner and sometimes situations take over. Some people can't help themselves when it comes to pointing the finger. Might make them feel superior-who knows. Doen't change the fact you have lost your mare.

E13

Visit site
I am so sorry. Not your fault, ignore the negative comments, you had an agreement and YO is at fault. *hugs*