Another fatal dog attack

SilverLinings

Visit site
Has anyone heard if there has been an outcome from the investigation into the death of the dog walker earlier into the year? The last I heard the police were trying to establish which dog(s) had attacked her, but I haven't heard whether this was determined, or whether any of the dogs have been released to their owners. I realise that it may be that it can't be determined which dog(s) were responsible as so many were there.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Has anyone heard if there has been an outcome from the investigation into the death of the dog walker earlier into the year? The last I heard the police were trying to establish which dog(s) had attacked her, but I haven't heard whether this was determined, or whether any of the dogs have been released to their owners. I realise that it may be that it can't be determined which dog(s) were responsible as so many were there.
Funnily enough, I’ve been wondering the exact same thing.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The Peak Park Rangers put up loads of signs saying dogs must be on leads, all around Macclesfield Forest. The dog walkers removed them all.
They can request it but they can’t enforce it the law requires dogs to be under close control on a footpath and that’s not defined as on a lead .

SadKen

Visit site
It’s an odd coincidence that the death of the young dog walker has been on people’s minds today and the Mail has an update.

She is believed to have been killed by her own XL bully.

If that is so, I hope the other dogs are returned to their owners as soon as possible.

SilverLinings

Visit site
It’s an odd coincidence that the death of the young dog walker has been on people’s minds today and the Mail has an update.

She is believed to have been killed by her own XL bully.

If that is so, I hope the other dogs are returned to their owners as soon as possible.

I am glad they were able to determine the culprit, as hopefully it will mean that the five dogs still being held will be able to return to the owners (or be rehomed) soon. It is very sad that the woman was killed by her own dog.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I am glad they were able to determine the culprit, as hopefully it will mean that the five dogs still being held will be able to return to the owners (or be rehomed) soon. It is very sad that the woman was killed by her own dog.
It's tragic. The dog was apparently an XL bully, already euthanised. They've already returned 2 dachshunds, wonder when the other five dogs will go home.

SilverLinings

Visit site
This is slightly on a tangent but I do wonder if some of the issue with the increase in dog attacks (aside from the overall increase in the number of dogs in the UK) is how they are widely perceived by society. A lot of people no longer link dogs to any kind of wild ancestor in their heads, don't think of them as active, clever animals that can perform jobs, instead they are often called things like 'fur babies' in the press and on SM, or you see the opposite and it is all about status, aggression and owning the type of dog that makes you look 'hard'. There is little emphasis on the joy, achievement and necessity of owning a well-trained dog and even less emphasis on the needs of the dog, it is more about how the dog makes the owner feel/look.

I have seen an advert on ITV Player recently for a private GP service, and the storyline of the ad is about a dachshund that is relieved and happy when the owner is injured and the dog no longer gets taken for walks. I can't imagine any healthy dogs would prefer to never be taken out, but this is perpetuating the anthropomorphism of dogs and the idea that they like staying in a nice warm and dry house, avoiding exercise and having 'duvet days'. If you think your young XL Bully etc is happy being trapped indoors 24/7 then you are going to end up with a very large and powerful dog that on the rare occasion it is taken out is overstimulated and has a large amount of pent up energy. A lot of people are setting their dogs up to fail, and caring only about there own needs and desires with very little (or no) interest in those of the dog that they don't deserve to own.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Agree SL, I loathe the term furbaby and if I read it I dismiss the owner as an idiot. Too many people got a first dog during lockdown and as there were no training classes available (if they were bothered to take the dog) they just bumbled along and didn’t treat them like dogs. A 20 min on lead walk round the block is not enough for most dogs even the small dogs benefit from plenty of exercise once they are mature… I don’t know what the answer is but something needs to be done

some show

Visit site
A woman posted on local facebook yesterday a photo of a big burly XL bully saying 'we've just moved to the area, can anyone recommend a good groomer for my baby?' 🙄

SilverLinings

Visit site
A woman posted on local facebook yesterday a photo of a big burly XL bully saying 'we've just moved to the area, can anyone recommend a good groomer for my baby?' 🙄
IT'S NOT YOUR (her) BABY! :mad:

I know that lots of us probably call our animals silly, affectionate names at home, but the ones who quite happily always publicly refer to their dog as a baby/furbaby often seem to be the owners who don't understand/recognise the dogs needs AS A DOG, have limited understanding of dog behaviour, and want to treat the dog like some kind of cute and furry 'mini me'.

Smitty

Visit site
A child in Doncaster has life changing injuries. An American Staff has been taken from the home and I think, destroyed, by the police.

I think people are either ignorant or in denial about what dogs are bred to do. My terrier is very good at killing rats but I would be surprised if he could herd sheep.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
2 more dog attacks in South Yorkshire this week, an American Bull Terrier type dog was taken away by police after leaving a 6 year old with potentially life changing injuries, and also injuring an adult Male. The 2nd one a GSD bit a 2 year old on the leg and was detained by the police.

I think this report might be those two attacks. Police highlighting concerns about people buying dogs via social media: https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crim...ies-in-horror-dog-attack-in-doncaster-4146121.

The fur baby thing brings me back to not caring who is at the other end of the lead, whether they have nefarious intentions or are just a bit clueless the consequences when it is a large, powerful, driven breed are the same (i.e., potentially lethal).

some show

Visit site
I used to walk dogs for the local dog pound and one day they handed over an american bulldog (one of the big white fellas). He pulled on the lead the whole time and was SO STRONG, it was kind of ridiculous that they gave him to me to walk. I'm only 5'6" but like to think I'm reasonably strong, but he was unbelievable. I had blisters on my hand for days afterwards. He was a lovely dog, don't get me wrong, but experiencing the brute strength of an untrained big bull breed was a bit of an eye-opener. I walked a lot of lovely staffies there and they could be very strong too, but nothing like this lad.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
What grooming does a short-haired dog need, exactly?

I don't know, some people do like to have their dogs bathed my professionals every so often. Sometimes groomers also clean ears, trim nails, and whatnot too. All things a dog owner should be able to do, IMO, but some do outsource it.

SadKen

Visit site
So do any normal, balanced, responsible people own these dogs? Or are they only owned as a weapon and the publicity helps the image?
My guess is 50% are owned by bad people wanting a weapon, 48% are owned by utter imbeciles of the lowest common denominator type who think the breed has social cachet thanks to their association with the bad people, and 2% are probably owned by breed ambassadors. I’m being quite generous because I’ve never met any breed ambassadors in real life but assume they must exist.

Urgh. I’m so tired of how predictable this all is.

paddy555

Visit site
My guess is 50% are owned by bad people wanting a weapon, 48% are owned by utter imbeciles of the lowest common denominator type who think the breed has social cachet thanks to their association with the bad people, and 2% are probably owned by breed ambassadors. I’m being quite generous because I’ve never met any breed ambassadors in real life but assume they must exist.

Urgh. I’m so tired of how predictable this all is.
I've never met any breed ambassadors either and I know little about these dogs so had a look at you tube. Here is a lovely video of one getting acquainted with his future dinner. (yes that was meant to sound sarcastic :D)

Possibly this fits your description of utter imbeciles of the lowest common denominator. Perhaps people watch these videos before buying one.

paddy555

Visit site
That’s a pit bull not an XL bully and they are banned in the UK, as I’m sure will happen with the XL bully soon.. look at his poor ears, that’s disgusting..
I'm not sure about that. I watched another one of reasons to get an XL bully and one reason was that it was an extra large pitbull. The point I was making was letting these large bull breeds loose with kids.

paddy555

Visit site
Fascinating watching the strength of the dog and how it reacts. Not sure what happens if a friend or relative raises their hand in play with the child. So little margin for error. (this is labelled as giant pit bull but the power is the same)

I think to own one perhaps you should need a licence in the same way as for a rifle.