Another fatal dog attack

Fjord

Visit site
woman in her 50s has been mauled to death by an XL bully dog in east London, the Met Police has confirmed.

She was found by officers at a house in Cornwall Close, Romford, east London around 13:12 BST on Monday.

The woman was treated by medics from London Ambulance Service, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

The dogs were registered XL bully dogs, the force said.

They had been were locked inside a room in the house before armed officers arrived.
I've just seen this on BBC news. Just awful. I really wonder when people will wake up to the realisation that these dogs are just not suitable pets. It's hardly a coincidence is it?

SilverLinings

Visit site
The BBC article about the woman killed by two XLBs:

It states that the dogs were 'registered' which I presume means exempted, so it's not even one of the completely irresponsible owners. It's not clear whether the victim was the owner or not, but I feel sorry for her family and for her, that is an awful way to die.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s just terrible .
But according to RSPCA and others it can be solved by education or it’s just bad owners , but it’s more than that ,these dogs just have a tendency to overreact into violence.
I know perfectly well meaning people have got these dogs and are now in it for those dogs lives .
No one should blame them for just quietly taking their dogs to the vets and having them PTS.

Presumably these dogs where muzzled when out for exercise so in that respect people and other dogs out and about had protection from the very worse happening, in that respect the law passed have helped .

Morwenna

Visit site
The BBC article about the woman killed by two XLBs:

It states that the dogs were 'registered' which I presume means exempted, so it's not even one of the completely irresponsible owners. It's not clear whether the victim was the owner or not, but I feel sorry for her family and for her, that is an awful way to die.
Tha article says she was the owner. Such an awful thing to happen. One of the things that scares me most about this breed are the countless stories of them being absolutely fine, friendly, affectionate family dogs until suddenly they’re not.

SEL

Visit site
Tha article says she was the owner. Such an awful thing to happen. One of the things that scares me most about this breed are the countless stories of them being absolutely fine, friendly, affectionate family dogs until suddenly they’re not.
Around the time the legislation came in a mother showed a video of hers being a fabulous family pet .... And then the final photos were of her young son in hospital after being mauled. She said it came out of the blue

I'm Dun

Visit site
Around the time the legislation came in a mother showed a video of hers being a fabulous family pet .... And then the final photos were of her young son in hospital after being mauled. She said it came out of the blue

I saw that, it was heart breaking. Sh genuinely believed they were lovely dogs, and to be fair, they were until the day her son was attacked. And that's the problem. Theres no warnings or escalation of behaviours. Its big friendly dog, then dead human.

Landcruiser

Visit site
They literally have a screw loose, genetically. A friend of mine FB shared one of those romanticised shots of a cute looking XL, with a text something like "In the 70s they blamed the dobermans, in the 80s they blamed the GSDs, etc" all the way up to now with the XLs. The final line was "When will they blame the humans?"
I couldn't bring myself to respond. I think the point is, we DO blame the humans, but the humans have bred a dog that is a ticking timebomb. Any one of these bombs can go off any time, and kill an owner or an innocent passer by, or a kid, or another pet etc. More fool the person that keeps one, knowing this. It's sad, but the fact remains, these dogs exist and are potential killers. Blame whoever you like.

Smitty

Visit site
I was in the waiting room at the vets with my cat and a couple came in with an XL bully. It was clambering all over the seats and they couldn’t hold it so …… they took its muzzle off!!
I think I would have moved quietly, without looking it in the eye,to the nearest door and gone through it ...

turkana

Visit site
I've just read the article & there's a picture of the dog on the settee being hugged by the dad - not a good photo, that dog looked so tense & unhappy in the picture. I would never force a hug on a dog with that look on it's face.

Clodagh

Visit site

conniegirl

Visit site
The highlight of that article is the stand out stupidity of the parents. They now want sales regulated? How about doing a modicum of research first. Idiots . Poor boy.
This!!
Its exactly why we are not getting another dog unless it comes from a close and trusted friend.

I do not have time for a puppy.
An Adult dog is too much of a risk unless i know its full history and trust the source of that history.
Even those from charities could have unexpected triggers.
Ellie is too young, too little and too used to dogs who are good with kids to take that risk.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
People are absolutely batshit.

He purchased a mature bull breed through bloody Facebook when he had a six year old child.

I mean, wtf?
[/QUOTE

now he wants the selling of dogs to be regulated by the government while not taking any responsibility himself. How stupid are people , although I do agree they need to crack down on the breeders and I feel the government could do with putting out a tv information ad advising people on general common sense when buying a dog for a family, it might make them think before bringing a large adult dog into a family with young children

Goldenstar

Visit site

skinnydipper

Visit site
I don’t think my lot would appreciate a strange child taking their food. Although they wouldn’t scalp them.

The dog's behaviour was extreme, but something triggered the dog to attack the child. It could have been that he was protecting his chew.

I make no secret of the fact that I wouldn't want an XL bully.

Clodagh

Visit site
The dog's behaviour was extreme, but something triggered the dog to attack the child. It could have been that he was protecting his chew.

I make no secret of the fact that I wouldn't want an XL bully.
In that case I agree, I thought you meant it was noteworthy that a dog didn’t want a child taking its food.

I'm Dun

Visit site
These dogs dont need a reason to attack.

Both of mine would let an unknown child take a bone away. They wouldn't like it, but would come and find me to tell me rather than rip a child scalp off or similar. And that's why I have them, I know my limitations and they are sweet and easy by nature. We need more breeders breeding for temperament, and more people understanding what they are taking on.

I see lots of posts on whippet groups asking about recall and separation anxiety, or their young dog is totally out of control as it never gets let off its lead. I'm sure similar happens on other breed specific groups. But by the time you know you've got a problem, its too late to do the early and relatively straight forward training that stops it happening, and it becomes a huge thing.