Another fatal dog attack

Smitty

Visit site

Random people often make a fuss of my dog. So far no one has died ...

wren123

Visit site
Two of mine would possibly snap at them, definitely growl. But that is why it would never happen.
And people think dogs are born easy, and mostly are allergic to the thought of putting any inconvenient time or effort in to them.
So agree, people say my labs over the years are always so well behaved, not realising it's a lot of hard work and mine have all been show types so fairly easy.

Sadly I think the majority of the population are stupid and don't realise the main danger of xl bullys and similar is their unpredictability they can appear to be friendly but suddenly turn.

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Although my dogs are friendly I don’t like random people stroking them, I don’t stroke other people’s dogs and don’t feel the need to.. especially now after all of these attacks I wouldn’t want one of mine to jump up at someone and the person get scratched, who knows what they would say, would they say my dogs were aggressive? I won’t take the risk

Smitty

Visit site
Although my dogs are friendly I don’t like random people stroking them, I don’t stroke other people’s dogs and don’t feel the need to.. especially now after all of these attacks I wouldn’t want one of mine to jump up at someone and the person get scratched, who knows what they would say, would they say my dogs were aggressive? I won’t take the risk

I agree entirely and don't encourage people to make a fuss of mine and I'm unlikely to want to make a fuss of anyone else's unless it's a lurcher or a KCC, but I would ask first 😊

As usual, the owner together with the offending dogs left the scene 🙄. Interesting that this case seems to be dealt with a little less leniently I feel, especially as the lady didn't die at the scene of the attack.

Awful for the lady's long term partner and family.

skinnydipper

Visit site

nutjob

Visit site
I'm not sure what her point is
Dogs that bite your hand off do not sound loving or loyal to me

Exactly, and this woman has kids, lucky it was her hand that was ripped off not one of her kids limbs or head. There's definitely a problem with these dogs but there also seems to be an issue with the thought processes of the owners.

cauda equina

Visit site
Exactly, and this woman has kids, lucky it was her hand that was ripped off not one of her kids limbs or head. There's definitely a problem with these dogs but there also seems to be an issue with the thought processes of the owners.
It's weird isn't it, insisting their dogs can do no wrong even when they have done things which are very wrong indeed

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Who even thinks of keeping four dogs inside a house with a gate between rooms with 2 on each side, so that the dogs can't mix because they aren't safe to mix? Before you even go down the XL bully black hole?

stangs

Visit site
It's weird isn't it, insisting their dogs can do no wrong even when they have done things which are very wrong indeed
Same thing that many a person in an abusive relationship has done: “it was an accident / they never meant to actually hurt me”…

She’s clearly grieving the loss of two loved companions, with whom she must have had many happy memories prior to the attack.

No matter what you think of her decision to rehome them in the first place, I really don’t think there’s a need for people to be nitpicking the statement of someone who’ll still be dealing with the trauma associated with such an incident.

cauda equina

Visit site
Same thing that many a person in an abusive relationship has done: “it was an accident / they never meant to actually hurt me”…

She’s clearly grieving the loss of two loved companions, with whom she must have had many happy memories prior to the attack.

No matter what you think of her decision to rehome them in the first place, I really don’t think there’s a need for people to be nitpicking the statement of someone who’ll still be dealing with the trauma associated with such an incident.
Apparently she rescued them in early 2024, so I doubt if she had that many happy memories
Excusing the behaviour of these monster dogs and the mindset of their owners simply puts everyone at risk - the owners, their children, all of us

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
It's a helpful statement, in that it busts the myth that every dog who bites someone is abused or starved.
The 'blessing' bit is just self-preservation/self-comforting. There's a need in some people to prove that what they do (in this case, rescuing dogs) makes them look 'nice' or kind to the outside world. It's insecurity, most people are nice/kind they just don't have to constantly prove it in public.
It's also very likely that this was a dog fight in which she intervened and there was redirection, so she still may not believe it is the dogs' fault.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Oh my goodness, I didn't realise that a pocket bully could be a mix of an American Bully and a Patterdale! I absolutely adored my Patterdales but cross them with an American Bully, what's not to like?:eek:😡

She said the pocket bully — a breed which can either be a cross between an American bully and a Patterdale terrier, or simply a smaller version of an American bully

As it isn't a 'proper' breed I expect there are all sorts of genetics in puppies being sold as pocket bullies (including Patterdale), as long as they end up resembling a deformed toad on steroids the breeders will make money.

Surely the time has come to have them all PTS? The attacks don't seem to have slowed down at all.

I had been thinking that since the ban the attacks seem to be more likely against the owner, or someone who has entered the dogs home. That is just my perception and I may be wrong, I haven't checked if there are stats. If there are fewer attacks in public and on strangers then that is a good outcome of the ban. Still not enough of a reduction though, and a few of the attacks in homes have involved children so 'innocent' people are still being killed.

Apparently she rescued them in early 2024, so I doubt if she had that many happy memories
Excusing the behaviour of these monster dogs and the mindset of their owners simply puts everyone at risk - the owners, their children, all of us

It is interesting (not sure if that's the correct word) that even after what has happened to her she still doesn't recognise/acknowledge that as she 'rescued' the dogs only a few months ago she can't actually know for sure that the dogs haven't been abused, or that they don't have a bite/aggression history (which could be serious and/or extensive). After all, XLBs weren't actually 'banned' in the UK, so the previous owner* gave the dogs up because either they didn't want to spend money on the dogs, were too lazy to put a muzzle and lead on them, or because the previous owner was aware they were a danger (or a potential danger) and wanted shot of them.

*that's in the assumption that both dogs came from the same owner. If the 'rescuer' acquired two XLBs at the same time from different owners and introduced them into a household with two resident dogs and children then she really had absolutely no common sense/sense of self-preservation.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I've just seen an XL bully, on a lead but no muzzle and not neutered. Its owner was sitting bold as brass with police cars about 100yds away, right next to a small tesco/sainsburys and take away van in the local big village centre. Lots of people and kids about and it was at the full length of its lead pulling, while he shouted at his mate at the takeaway van. I got back in the car and went to a different shop.

The people who don't abide by the rules know that nothing is going to happen to them, so they just carry on business as usual.

SilverLinings

Visit site
I've just seen an XL bully, on a lead but no muzzle and not neutered. Its owner was sitting bold as brass with police cars about 100yds away, right next to a small tesco/sainsburys and take away van in the local big village centre. Lots of people and kids about and it was at the full length of its lead pulling, while he shouted at his mate at the takeaway van. I got back in the car and went to a different shop.

The people who don't abide by the rules know that nothing is going to happen to them, so they just carry on business as usual.

It will be interesting to see what happens (and how the press reports it) when an XLB attacks in public and someone comes forward saying that they had previously reported it to the Police/Dog Warden/Council for not being muzzled/on a lead/exempted and nothing was done about it. I suspect this will happen at some point judging by the number of posters here who say they've reported dogs and don't think any action was taken, and the number of incidents of XLBs in public without muzzles and/or leads.

Caol Ila

Visit site
A couple days ago, I saw a family, who all looked aff their bloody tits on something, wandering along the road below my flat. They had an XL bully with them, off lead, unmuzzled, running in and out of the bushes between the road and the canal towpath. The family were trying to call it and lure it along, but they were wasted and dog had no recall. I almost called the police. But we were trying to get somewhere and didn't have the time for faffing about. So we let it go. But if I see them again, I'm video-ing it and calling it in. God knows how useful our local cops are at taking it seriously.

skinnydipper

Visit site

That woman put everyone at risk.

Did you look at her Facebook page, the one she drew attention to when she put out that statement?

There are photos and videos of the dogs taken since the restrictions came into effect in Scotland. Off lead no muzzle in a park in a built up area, walked in the street on lead no muzzle. In the video taken on public transport, no muzzle.

You know what the dogs did to her, how much worse that would be if it had been an innocent member of the public.

Indefensible.

Landcruiser

Visit site

Ban, what ban??
One of the photos shows a small child basically being stepped on by this (clearly) XL bully. How is this still on Preloved??

Landcruiser

Visit site
Oh I see. Renamed as "NOT an XL Bully." That's alright then