Another fatal dog attack

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Sort of pinky coloured with spots? That looks not-at-all like any Staffie I've ever seen.

In other news, I met my first Pocket Bully the other day, poor deformed not-so-little thing: it could hardly walk, or breathe.

I was more commenting on the ridiculous name for a colour no doubt produced by crossing various breeds . Body shape is not dissimilar to some pet Staffies which are often way bigger than breed standard even if they are actually genuine staffies.

Clodagh

Visit site
I think the lavender whatever it is highlights the difficulty in identifying by breed type. It looks not staffy but not really full bull either, to my eyes.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Oh I see. Renamed as "NOT an XL Bully." That's alright then
So they don't disclose in the advert why they are rehoming him, he can't currently be walked on a lead and they don't want him to go to a home with children. Is it me, or does it sound as though behaviour may be at least part of the reason they don't want him? They say he's not aggressive, but aren't willing to say what the problem is. They have four other dogs so It doesn't sound like a landlord issue, and people usually admit when it's a financial decision. They say he can't live with children (current household has them) because he wags his tail so much it can hurt kids?! I've known plenty of large dogs with enthusiastic tail-wagging habits and I've never heard of it injuring people of any size.

The fact they explain about their attempts to walk him on the lead, that they take him to empty fields and dog parks to walk him, and that they talk about his impressive muscles I'm afraid suggests to me that they are very aware that he could measure in as an XLB.

SilverLinings

Visit site
I think this is to show he is a "working" dog who can do a "job" - hence the £600 bargain price. He is obviously a real find.
Or are they making sure they have an excuse to get around the ban on selling* XLBs- "I was selling the handbag, it comes with a free dog" 🤣

*I realise you aren't allowed to give away XLBs either, but I'm not prepared to let that fact spoil the joke 😁

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
If you look at the picture of him sitting by the chair with an adult sitting on it he looks pretty big to me. And why rehome such a lovable gentle dog😀 according to the ad He currently lives with children and other dogs so what exactly is the problem, and rehoming doesn’t warrant a price tag if £600… very odd

skinnydipper

Visit site

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I think a dog 'locked on' to someone's leg for 10 minutes in an unprovoked attack needs a lethal injection not behaviour modification

I'm getting so fed up of the whole "it has to be kept on a muzzle/on a lead/secure garden" sanctions thing for dogs that have acted out serious attacks on people or other dogs (it came up in that other news article with a quote from Bristol City Council about how they 'respond' to dangerous dogs with this type of thing - spoiler alert, they do not respond). It's a waste of time and does nothing as crappy owners will not be bothered to follow it. It's just more rules that don't apply to them.

A nip or single bite is one thing but a sustained attack/locking on is another. It is very sad for the dog but I agree, I just don't think a second chance should be given for cases like this.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You know we were wondering how stupid some of these dog owners are? Well our question is answered in another article on one of the pages pointed to above. If you have your dog on a lead it is, perhaps, not the greatest idea to throw a stick for it .... into a river.

Nasicus

Visit site
You know we were wondering how stupid some of these dog owners are? Well our question is answered in another article on one of the pages pointed to above. If you have your dog on a lead it is, perhaps, not the greatest idea to throw a stick for it .... into a river.

Okay, okay. But... Hear me out... I did this once as a teenager. Threw the ball into the flood relief for the family Lab, completely forgot I was holding the lead :oops:

conniegirl

Visit site
I've also done it, though with a lunge line rather than a normal lead. The dog I had was a wonderful goldie who's main love in life was swimming.
He had wonderfull recall until he got in the water and then i swear he went deaf.
After an incident where he swam into the middle of a welsh lake, herding ducks, and had to be brought back by a kayaker, he only ever went into bodies of water if he was on a long line.

Smitty

Visit site
Ah, what a shame the police took him and destroyed him, NOT. Why the hell didn't the stupid owner muzzle him in the beginning when she took him to another house, and why, after he had done that to the boy, did she want to take him back home to continue living with her small daughter. I just wonder if these people have some sort of mental disorder, where they genuinely can't see any danger despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Parrotperson

Visit site
Ah, what a shame the police took him and destroyed him, NOT. Why the hell didn't the stupid owner muzzle him in the beginning when she took him to another house, and why, after he had done that to the boy, did she want to take him back home to continue living with her small daughter. I just wonder if these people have some sort of mental disorder, where they genuinely can't see any danger despite all the evidence to the contrary.
Yes.

It’s called stupidity.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I just wonder if these people have some sort of mental disorder, where they genuinely can't see any danger despite all the evidence to the contrary.
It's called belief, faith. If you genuinely believe something - that pitbulls are "nanny dogs", "it's the owner, not the breed", whatever guff bull breed enthusiasts are spouting - then the evidence will have no impact. Until it does, and even then.....

It seems to be becoming more and more prevalent in recent times, perhaps a side effect of "doing your own research" and social media. The death of facts and the ability to reason.