Another fatal dog attack

misst

Visit site
So even though they have a zero tolerance policy the dogs were removed " the next day" 🤔.
The "superficial injuries not needing hospital treatment " - Makes my blood boil. Just because they didn't need hospital treatment they sound as if the police etc are downplaying this.
How about saying " fortunately this awful attack was limited to superficial wounds. However any attack especially on a child is a serious matter and we have arrested the owners"?????

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I remember a time when any dog that bit was put down. When we were kids we had a dog that bit the postman. His fault, he was teasing him through the letterbox pulling the post back and dog caught his fingers. Dad knew the dog could be a bit unpredictable (lack of training I suspect) and had him put down. He knew there would be a stink about it so forestalled it. We kids were told he had gone to a home in the country.

Smitty

Visit site
I remember a time when any dog that bit was put down. When we were kids we had a dog that bit the postman. His fault, he was teasing him through the letterbox pulling the post back and dog caught his fingers. Dad knew the dog could be a bit unpredictable (lack of training I suspect) and had him put down. He knew there would be a stink about it so forestalled it. We kids were told he had gone to a home in the country.

I agree, I don't recall any tolerance of dogs biting, or indeed any dogs biting apart from my parents poodles, and don't remember any pts due to it but then years ago it was probably just the one bite and not the multiple injuries that are becoming commonplace these days. I remember mostly mongrel types that were everyones friend. I have been bitten a few times, but it has just the one bite and not a "ragging". And years ago of course there were very few dogs around that could inflict too much damage.

stangs

Visit site
Christ. Five children left without a mother.

Police have not said what breed it was, but indicated that it was assessed as not a banned breed.
Be interesting to find out about the breeding.

Mind you, I had a chat with someone who works as a breed type assessor and apparently, to qualify as an XL bully, the dog must make the height (whereas the other conformation criteria aren't necessities - it's more about how many the dog ticks off and the overall impression). It did make me wonder how many of the "assessed as not banned breed"/"bulldog type" dogs involved in recent attacks do have XL bully breeding, but because they're under 19in/20in, aren't being considered within the overall phenomenon.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Be interesting to find out about the breeding.

Mind you, I had a chat with someone who works as a breed type assessor and apparently, to qualify as an XL bully, the dog must make the height (whereas the other conformation criteria aren't necessities - it's more about how many the dog ticks off and the overall impression). It did make me wonder how many of the "assessed as not banned breed"/"bulldog type" dogs involved in recent attacks do have XL bully breeding, but because they're under 19in/20in, aren't being considered within the overall phenomenon.
Isn't the pitbull already a restricted/banned breed in the UK?

Smitty

Visit site
Steve is 2. He may turn into a savage monster or he may not, but is it worth risking the lives of people and their dogs. There are none so blind as those who won't see!!

If I were being cynical, I might suggest that some of these rescues want the law repealed so that they can shift a few dogs.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I don’t know if anyone else is shocked by this article but I am. I would have thought the Blue Cross would have been more responsible (that’s probably not the right word)

I saw this yesterday and was horrified too by their attitude.

Jenko109

Visit site
What a load of bull.

He would only have to sit on the beach for six hours if the owner doesn't get up off his lazy ass.

Just like the thousands of other owners who for whatever reason cannot let their dog off a lead, he is quite capable of playing with his dog on the beach, going with him for a swim, jogging up the surf.

It's not like it's a Border Collie. Twenty minutes of playing and he will be ready for a lay down for a bit anyway.

Titchy Pony

Visit site
Steve is 2. He may turn into a savage monster or he may not, but is it worth risking the lives of people and their dogs.
My first thought when I read the article. And I do hope they're still careful with that child that the dog jumps on every night in bed "to make sure he goes to sleep".

Also, if Steve loves puddles so much, go jump in a few with him! That's still perfectly possible while wearing a muzzle.

PS, who takes their dog to the beach for six hours in summer? It sounds like my idea of hell (assuming here crowed beach) and wouldn't the dog bake in the sand and sun? Or is it that much colder in the UK than I'm thinking?

Smitty

Visit site
TP, my thoughts exactly. He is either in denial, daft, or doesn't keep up to date with the news.

Am wondering if Steve's dad is stuck between a rock and a hard place RE the beach. Young kids who want a beach holiday and a dog that probably can't be put in kennels due to the breed. I imagine it would be hard to get a dog sitter as well.

I'm Dun

Visit site
My first thought when I read the article. And I do hope they're still careful with that child that the dog jumps on every night in bed "to make sure he goes to sleep".

Also, if Steve loves puddles so much, go jump in a few with him! That's still perfectly possible while wearing a muzzle.

PS, who takes their dog to the beach for six hours in summer? It sounds like my idea of hell (assuming here crowed beach) and wouldn't the dog bake in the sand and sun? Or is it that much colder in the UK than I'm thinking?

I went to cornwall last year and we got up early and went to the beach then came away, and we were camping so had to be out all day or cook in the tent! I cant imagine anything more boring that sitting in baking temperatures with a dog on a beach full of people.

JoannaC

Visit site
Out walking today and met an XL correctly muzzled and lead but my god I didn't appreciate how huge and powerful they are up close. I really can't understand why you'd want that in your home. The lady leading him was tiny and i'd just put my two on the lead as we couldn't see through to the next field so we passed at the gateway. She shouted he's friendly as he sniffed my Lab who i'd moved over to the side so she could come past, I said mine aren't which was a lie but I really didn't want it coming that close. He did seem like a placid chap but no way could she have held on to him if he decided to go.

slimjim86

Visit site
I feel terrible now that if I see a dog of that type I give it a wide berth, it must be really upsetting for owners of dogs that have never put a foot wrong see them so stigmatised but the "what ifs" are just too big. I used to walk an American bull dog cross and when I first met him in the summer he was lovely, then when the weather changed he was reluctant to go for a walk and wouldn't come out of his crate, I could coax him out with treats thrown on the kitchen floor then put lead on and he was fine, then he was iffy to touch in the kitchen but OK by the time he got to front door so started putting lead on there and was fine, then while I was dog sitting he got worse and would start growling at people if they were near the house when we went out, then random people further a field sometimes, would steal tv remote and was really scarey when I tried to get it back, couldn't be moved from room to room without treats etc. As soon as owners were home I said I wasn't prepared to risk mine or any bystanders safety dealing with him again. They said he was fine and sometimes you just have to leave him to it! To this day he is the only dog that has scared me.

Jenko109

Visit site
Looking through the fb posts, his family are saying that it wasnt actually his dog. That he was just asked to look after it for a short period and he didnt actually know anything about the dog.

A massive risk to take, which sadly resulted in him losing his life 😔

conniegirl

Visit site
Looking through the fb posts, his family are saying that it wasnt actually his dog. That he was just asked to look after it for a short period and he didnt actually know anything about the dog.

A massive risk to take, which sadly resulted in him losing his life 😔
If this is right then the owner needs trying for manslaughter!

Landcruiser

Visit site
Oh FFS. How many more people are going to have their lives destroyed by these wretched creatures? That poor child, scarred for life. These bully dogs have a screw loose, as does anyone who brings/allows one into their home, especially if they have small children.