Another fatal dog attack

Jenko109

Visit site
You mean you don't know where he is (or what he is doing)?

No.

I don't mean that at all.

He is always visible. It's an open common. I mean that if he can be heard before he can be seen then the rabbits can go to ground. At 5am, they are all just milling about in the open.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
We dont have a path. We are on an open common.

My dogs dont hassle the cows or the ponies or the donkeys, including when they have a calf or foal at foot. Or the pigs when they're about. All of which are turned out on the common.

I am however quite happy for them to try and catch a rabbit. Nothing better than a dog with a fresh rabbit for his breakfast 🤷‍♀️

**runs for cover**

I was referring to the gentleman and his dog that I encountered in the forest recently. That dog had literally run past a sensitive ecosystem sign as it crashed onto the path in front of me, it ran at me and would have caused issue for a horse more nervy than mine, and the owner explicitly stated that it chases deer

My dogs catch the odd rabbit or squirrel at home on my property, but out in the forest I find leads are marvellous things 😉

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
And must be so annoying for the dog, too.
On the contrary, they only wear collars when out, or when I need to know where they are (puppy), so when they hear the collars come off the peg they go absolutely mad because they know they are going for a walk. Like people, they tune out the tinkling after a few minutes. I use hawk bells (I used to fly falcons a very long time ago) and I love the sound.

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
On the contrary, they only wear collars when out, or when I need to know where they are (puppy), so when they hear the collars come off the peg they go absolutely mad because they know they are going for a walk. Like people, they tune out the tinkling after a few minutes. I use hawk bells (I used to fly falcons a very long time ago) and I love the sound.

Can I borrow your brain, please :p

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
Someone gave me some bells to string across the top of the jump on fishing line (the idea was if the dog touched the jump, the bells would jangle = no reward, no jangle meant jumping clear = reward) and I kept them in the central console of my car, the noise when I cornered or braked drove me absolutely nuts. I appreciate that this may be a Me Problem/reverse Pavlov, etc etc etc...

marmalade76

Visit site
I assume the bell is attached to a collar. Unless it is a break-away collar then leaving a collar on an unsupervised dog, or even worse multiple dogs, is not a great idea. It's a safety issue (strangulation).

I could not swear to it, but is it not a requirement for dogs to wear collars when out & about? And wearing a collar would also help in certain situations, like the poor cyclist who was attacked by the Malis, they'd have been removed from him considerably quicker had they had collars on. Sorry, but I'd rather the (let's face it, small) risk of strangulation than the risk that the dog be less controllable.

bonny

Visit site
yes in public dogs legally have to have a collar or harness on with tags identifying owner, address and phone number.
Has anyone ever heard of an owner being prosecuted for not having a collar etc on their dog ? Just wondering ….

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Has anyone ever heard of an owner being prosecuted for not having a collar etc on their dog ? Just wondering ….

Half of the people who own dogs don’t seem to know what is required. My 3 all wear collars with my name and address and phone numbers on and I’ve got breakaway collars for indoors when on holiday or if they go to my friends for the day. Indoor at home they don’t wear anything.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
What happens if you have an accident or medical episode when you are out walking in public with collarless dogs?

They might have perfect recall with their owner(s), but if owner is incapacitated for any reason it would make it much harder for well meaning randomers to safely secure them.

Speaking as someone who has collected various frightened stray dogs off the roads in the past. It’s a lot easier if they are wearing a collar.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I could not swear to it, but is it not a requirement for dogs to wear collars when out & about? And wearing a collar would also help in certain situations, like the poor cyclist who was attacked by the Malis, they'd have been removed from him considerably quicker had they had collars on. Sorry, but I'd rather the (let's face it, small) risk of strangulation than the risk that the dog be less controllable.
Would you care to read my post again

I assume the bell is attached to a collar. Unless it is a break-away collar then leaving a collar on an unsupervised dog, or even worse multiple dogs, is not a great idea. It's a safety issue (strangulation).

My dogs have always worn collars or harnesses with tags when not at home. At home always "naked".

Read this thread:

and Google collar strangulation.

Last edited:

skinnydipper

Visit site
and Google collar strangulation.

For people that can't be ar$ed, I've googled for you.

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
So the take home from the later part of this thread, is that most contributors are just plain stupid or ignorant or both 🙄

DressageCob

Visit site
My old dog used to wear a collar 24/7 other than when he was having a bath. I was ignorant. In my defence I was 12 when we got him, he was my family's first dog and we were very worried about him escaping. He was a lakeland terrier and took any chance he got! We were lucky never to have a collar-related incident, but it was probably mainly avoided by the fact he wasn't crated and didn't have any doggy friends.

Now, I know better. My dog wears a collar with a tag and a harness (also with a tag) because he has a very baggy neck and the only way a collar wouldn't risk falling is by tightening it until it pinched. A couple of his collars have his details embroidered or engraved on the buckle. He has a leather "necklace" with a tag on as well, which I used to put on when he went in the garden before I got better fencing. Now he is naked at home and in the garden.

I see a lot of dogs, particularly gun dogs, walked with no collar and just attached to a slip lead occasionally when needed. That is illegal, but it is pretty common.

I have seen prosecutions for not having a tag on, but they have been linked to prosecutions for dogs dangerously out of control in a public place, rather than just a person walking down the street and the police officer spots that it is tag-less.

Clodagh

Visit site
What happens if you have an accident or medical episode when you are out walking in public with collarless dogs?

They might have perfect recall with their owner(s), but if owner is incapacitated for any reason it would make it much harder for well meaning randomers to safely secure them.

Speaking as someone who has collected various frightened stray dogs off the roads in the past. It’s a lot easier if they are wearing a collar.
I specifically do not want to enable anyone random to handle my dogs. If I have a heart attack or get run over by a cow I expect they’d go home.
They don’t wear them for training or working and the chances of a cataclysmic event when I’m out for a stroll is probably not high.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I specifically do not want to enable anyone random to handle my dogs. If I have a heart attack or get run over by a cow I expect they’d go home.
They don’t wear them for training or working and the chances of a cataclysmic event when I’m out for a stroll is probably not high.

Toby would go off with anyone. He has no shame 😂. I think Bo would stick with me until I was found. 2 are always attached via a belt anyway.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Ok, but apart from an exemption when they are working you are breaking the law. As I said, a collar make saving the dogs I've found panicking and running along the road easier to rescue 🤷‍♀️.

This is quite separate to the advice to removing a collar when at home in case the dog gets hooked up.

Can I get fined if my dog isn’t wearing a collar?

Yes. If your dog isn’t wearing a collar, or their collar doesn’t include the relevant information, you can be subject to an unlimited fine, or even jail. In reality, however, most breaches of the law are unlikely to incur such harsh penalties. Remember, it’s not enough to have your dog’s name and your phone number on their collar – it must include your name and address, too.

Many dog owners prefer to use a harness when walking their dog, rather than using a dog collar and lead. Even if you’ve attached an ID tag to your dog’s harness, this doesn’t exempt your dog from needing to wear a collar with your identifying information on it as well.

Once you’re home, you can remove your dog’s collar if you prefer. Just make sure your home and garden are secure and your dog can’t gain access to any public spaces. Before you head outside again, always put your dog’s collar back on.

Clodagh

Visit site
Ok, but apart from an exemption when they are working you are breaking the law. As I said, a collar make saving the dogs I've found panicking and running along the road easier to rescue 🤷‍♀️.

This is quite separate to the advice to removing a collar when at home in case the dog gets hooked up.

Can I get fined if my dog isn’t wearing a collar?

Yes. If your dog isn’t wearing a collar, or their collar doesn’t include the relevant information, you can be subject to an unlimited fine, or even jail. In reality, however, most breaches of the law are unlikely to incur such harsh penalties. Remember, it’s not enough to have your dog’s name and your phone number on their collar – it must include your name and address, too.

Many dog owners prefer to use a harness when walking their dog, rather than using a dog collar and lead. Even if you’ve attached an ID tag to your dog’s harness, this doesn’t exempt your dog from needing to wear a collar with your identifying information on it as well.

Once you’re home, you can remove your dog’s collar if you prefer. Just make sure your home and garden are secure and your dog can’t gain access to any public spaces. Before you head outside again, always put your dog’s collar back on.
Honestly I’ll take my chances with the police. By the time they’d picked up all the free range, naked collies their van would be full.

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm genuinely bemused why anyone would be so averse to simply putting on a collar and id tag on their dog in public, as the law demands.

Oh well.
I walk on private land, with permission. I do cross a no access lane which isn’t mine from my house to the land. I live in the middle of nowhere. I never see a soul bar two local farmers with their packs of dogs. I’m not sure why mine need collars? If I walked in a park I agree it would be different and in those days my dogs did.
I know the law says but honestly I inconvenience no one.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The biggest issue that the drunk lady in the park had getting back her loose dog was it had no collar on,well that and the Drink .
I get the thing about collars and dogs working in undergrowth and I also would never ever have a dog off lead in a harness in anything other than a open field .
But collars with break open catches do not present a risk to dogs doing normal dog stuff .
I do take them off when they once they settled in house at night .

The law requires a collar in public and a tag .

Sandstone1

Visit site
I'm genuinely bemused why anyone would be so averse to simply putting on a collar and id tag on their dog in public, as the law demands.

Oh well.
Because some people think the law does not apply to them. Any dog can get spooked by something and run off, it does not matter how well trained they are or if you walk on private land. They can run and end up on a road. The amount of posts on facebook about lost and found dogs without collars and tags is amazing. How hard is it to put a collar and tag on when you go out?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The law requires a collar in public and a tag .
Indeed it does.

Judging by the earlier post and who liked it, I seem to have flushed out a few regular and more experienced posters on here who think that the law does not apply to them.

Disappointing, sigh. This should be in 'irresponsible owners' not 'another fatal dog attack' 😬.