Another fatal dog attack

Smitty

Visit site
Believed to be XL bully, according to newspaper reports.

I'm not sure you're allowed to say that!! It seems to equate to racism amongst a certain faction of the community, even if its true apparently 🙄

Pet dogs are being killed more or less daily by various breeds of muscle or fashion dogs and yet there are groups of people worldwide holding vigils for the two dogs the police shot a couple of months ago. They don't seem to hold vigils for the many pet dogs ripped apart in front of their owners.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I'm not sure you're allowed to say that!! It seems to equate to racism amongst a certain faction of the community, even if its true apparently 🙄

There was mass hysteria on Facebook when Police in Coventry had to taser a dog who was intent on killing a smaller dog and for everyone's safety temporarily contained the brute in a bin.

Police had to release body cam footage of the attack to defend their actions.

The dog that was savagely attacking the smaller one looked to be an XL bully type dog.

Pet dogs are being killed more or less daily by various breeds of muscle or fashion dogs and yet there are groups of people worldwide holding vigils for the two dogs the police shot a couple of months ago. They don't seem to hold vigils for the many pet dogs ripped apart in front of their owners.
Dominic Dyer has a lot to answer for.

Morwenna

Visit site
I saw the video of the police containing the dog in the bin along with all the hysteria around it from a certain faction of the internet. If you watch wild animals being caught / rescued it looks just as unpretty. This dog was attacking other dogs and people. What were they supposed to do? Lure it into being nice with some roast chicken?

Smitty

Visit site
Yes, Tyson 🤔. A huge group on Facebook saying it's disgusting etc, brutality in the police force, dog was picked on cos it's got cropped ears, disgusting and vile behaviour - I suppose from the police and not its owner for allowing this to happen!! Anyway, "the poor baby" should have been allowed to carry on ripping apart the unfortunate dog it was attacking, and then possibly go on to a member of the public ..

misst

Visit site
I have just watched that video luckily it is quite blurred but the sounds alone are horrific. Thank god the police turned up!
I saw my first definite XLBully out of my kitchen window very early the other morning. It was pale coloured so easy to see it was off lead with no collar or harness on. It was on a footpath on a public common very very popular with local people walking/cycling/horse riding and at the weekends with families. Lots of medium to small sized dogs on this path every morning. I was so shocked. I don't think it is local and the dog was with a 30 -40 year old male who I did not recognise as a regular.

skinnydipper

Visit site
This is the text that accompanied the Police video:

"Today we’ve released footage of a dog attack in Milverton Road this week following speculation on social media.

Our officers responded to a group of dogs fighting in the street on 11 July which presented a clear danger.

When officers arrived, one of the dogs was clearly out of control, attacking other dogs and presenting a risk to people nearby, a number of whom were children.

During the incident, the dog tried to attack a member of the public, who was forced to use an umbrella to defend himself and jump over a low fence to escape.

The dog continued into a nearby street where, because of the risk to the public and because it was out of control, officers used a Taser to prevent it causing serious harm.

Officers needed to contain the dog, so they found a large wheelie bin to put inside to ensure the public, the officers and the dog itself were away from further danger.

Contrary to reports on social media, the dog was not hit by a police car and was not killed.

The dog was seized by the Dangerous Dogs Unit and has since been assessed by a vet and secured in kennels.

The dog is fit and well and is being looked after by staff at the kennels and the owner is fully aware of the actions police have taken.

The dog that was attacked is at home recovering
A man was arrested on suspicion of obstructing police and was interviewed on 12 July; enquiries are ongoing."

skinnydipper

Visit site
Yes, Tyson 🤔. A huge group on Facebook saying it's disgusting etc, brutality in the police force, dog was picked on cos it's got cropped ears, disgusting and vile behaviour - I suppose from the police and not its owner for allowing this to happen!! Anyway, "the poor baby" should have been allowed to carry on ripping apart the unfortunate dog it was attacking, and then possibly go on to a member of the public ..

Some bright spark suggested that they should have put a slip lead on it when it was attacking the other dog. Best of luck with that, pet.

Smitty

Visit site
Yes, I'm sure I'm not the only person who has never been apprehended by the police when out with my dog, much less had one tasered or been tasered myself.

I used to be a keen follower of Animal Cruelty Files UK on Facebook as they published names, places of residence and photos of people comitting abhorent acts of cruelty. That was until they joined in the campaign against the police over shooting the two dogs and now are siding with the owner of Tyson. No mention of the owners negligence which would have rendered the police action unecessary in the first place.

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
Some bright spark suggested that they should have put a slip lead on it when it was attacking the other dog. Best of luck with that, pet.

I've actually seen this happen when my own dog was being attacked, but the person who did it was a former police dog trainer with ninja skills, he threw a long line under both of them and was able to make a loop and somehow get the aggressor off mine. Can't imagine everyone could do that.

Clodagh

Visit site
I've actually seen this happen when my own dog was being attacked, but the person who did it was a former police dog trainer with ninja skills, he threw a long line under both of them and was able to make a loop and somehow get the aggressor off mine. Can't imagine everyone could do that.
You could do it if it was something like a bull breed that would hang on to its mouthful at all costs. ( and hope it didn’t choose to alter its bite at that time!). A more fluid attack scenario I think you would indeed need ninja skills.

Nasicus

Visit site
I must be really cruel according to those people because I think tasering an out of control, dangerous dog and putting it in a wheelie bin is very resourceful and quick thinking on the part of the police! Fair play to those officers.
You'd think the people making a stink about it would be glad they opted to taser and contain, instead of shooting and killing!

marmalade76

Visit site
I must be really cruel according to those people because I think tasering an out of control, dangerous dog and putting it in a wheelie bin is very resourceful and quick thinking on the part of the police! Fair play to those officers.

Agreed, a wheelie bin is just the place for such a dog if you ask me.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site

Morwenna

Visit site
This is awful. That poor wee dog and the poor, poor owner. This is my paranoid fear.

There was a lovely long haired chi in the woods yesterday, I think I’d be too scared to let it run free if it were mine ☹️
Mine too. I freely admit I judge these breeds if I see them out and about and give them a very wide berth. Luckily there aren’t many around here. It may be unfair of me but I would far rather be safe than sorry - especially as training mine that not every dog / person wants a Labrador bouncing up to it is very much a work in progress.

SilverLinings

Visit site
This was posted on Fb the other day by a local pet crematorium.

View attachment 118785
I suppose it depends exactly what he means by the dog not getting on with his other pets, but I presume that the behaviour is quite bad for the owner to be looking into PTS (especially as I'm sure he could sell the dog for £££ online with few questions asked). If that is the case then it is a shame (and potentially a future disaster) that he has been dissuaded from doing the responsible thing.

It is also irresponsible for the pet crem. guy to try to rehome the dog without clearly describing the extent of the behavioural problems, as even if it goes to a pet-free home the new owners are likely to come across cats, dogs and other animals when out on walks. Using the phrase 'fur child' doesn't instil confidence in me that the crem. man knows what he's doing, and it is particularly odd to use the phrase about an aggressive dog that the man has apparently (?) never actually met.

windand rain

Visit site
As much as I hate the idea I guess keeping all dogs on leads in public is the only way. I will also say my dog rarely wore a lead on walks but stayed next to me as if she was. Hence hating the idea of having to have a lead on in public

ArklePig

Visit site
Poor Loki. What happened to him is my worst nightmare. I'm another who will openly admit to changing direction etc when I see one of those dogs. Last time I took Fodhla mantrailing there was some dope with one on a flexi lead and it was straining to get to her. They're flipping scary and I'll do anything to keep my dog away from them. Especially if they're named after a convicted rapist which doesn't inspire confidence in the type of owner does it 🙄

SilverLinings

Visit site
Poor Loki. What happened to him is my worst nightmare. I'm another who will openly admit to changing direction etc when I see one of those dogs. Last time I took Fodhla mantrailing there was some dope with one on a flexi lead and it was straining to get to her. They're flipping scary and I'll do anything to keep my dog away from them. Especially if they're named after a convicted rapist which doesn't inspire confidence in the type of owner does it 🙄
That is awful AP, who the hell would choose a name like that for their dog? Is he aware of the link between the name and the rapist, or is he just really stupid and just likes the name? That is quite a sick thing to do if it was intentional.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I suppose it depends exactly what he means by the dog not getting on with his other pets, but I presume that the behaviour is quite bad for the owner to be looking into PTS (especially as I'm sure he could sell the dog for £££ online with few questions asked). If that is the case then it is a shame (and potentially a future disaster) that he has been dissuaded from doing the responsible thing.

It is also irresponsible for the pet crem. guy to try to rehome the dog without clearly describing the extent of the behavioural problems, as even if it goes to a pet-free home the new owners are likely to come across cats, dogs and other animals when out on walks. Using the phrase 'fur child' doesn't instil confidence in me that the crem. man knows what he's doing, and it is particularly odd to use the phrase about an aggressive dog that the man has apparently (?) never actually met.
I think there were a lot of comments that agreed with you, and what most of us think.

IMG_5088.jpg

ArklePig

Visit site
Sorry for clarity- I wasn't very clear at all I was referring to the dog above named tyson who was involved in a different incident. Doesn't inspire confidence that they haven't been bought as a weapon as sorts. Just got a bit muddled in my stream of consciousness rant re these dogs.

Saw a rehoming organisation near me (not sure but I think it's a council pound maybe I just see their FB posts) advertising a 14 week old xl bully who is apparently good with kids so they've been on my mind today.

misst

Visit site
These posts are heartbreaking and terrifying. I don't honestly know how I would cope with losing one of mine this way. It makes me physically sick and anxious even thinking about other dogs being attacked. There needs to be more policing of dogs (yes I know they are overworked already but these dogs are a danger to human life and wellbeing as well as dogs and other animals). The powers are there but no one is using them as far as I can see until it goes horribly wrong.