Another fatal dog attack

MurphysMinder

Visit site
A friend and I were walking our dogs yesterday and let them off lead to have a swim in a mere. They started playfighting in the water, grabbing round the neck, so we called them, took their collars off and let them go back in.
With regard to stray dogs, I always have a slip lead in my car and have used it more than once when I have found a dog wandering. I would far rather pop a slip lead on than grab a strange dog by the collar.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I was in my local park as a husky came up to my dogs and tagged along with us, he had a red collar on so I would have rang his owners if it had a tag on. I let go of him and he went off quite purposefully so I assumed he was going back to his owner . I regret not taking him to the local vet to check for a microchip as he went on the run and was never found although there were sightings but no joy… if he’d had a tag an owner wouldn’t have lost her dog and I still feel guilty..

Last edited:

Moobli

Visit site
Oops I’m in the irresponsible camp too. Our working collies never wear collars when working or when being walked on the country estate where we live. Same for my shepherds. They do wear collars and tags when we walk anywhere away from home.
Like Clodagh I’m in the middle of nowhere and if something happened to me I’m sure my dogs would come home or, in the case of the shepherds, would just sit by me. It’s unlikely a stranger would be able to grab their collars in any event.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
My friend is in the no collar camp (also no microchip at the time of this incident). It would have saved her and her dog a great deal of grief when he got hit by a car and taken to the vet by the kind person who stopped and picked him up, badly injured. She spent 2 frantic days looking for him, and could have meant that the dog was euthanised as with no known owner the vet could well have taken that route rather than perform expensive surgery. Luckily he was recognised by her neighbour who was taking her cat to the same vet.

You may think your dog will never run off, stray or be stolen, but they do and being identifiable is key to return. It also amazes me that people will not bother to register their name to their dog's microchip when they get one, rendering it useless.

Smitty

Visit site
I have picked up a few stray dogs, one had a tag and I phoned number. It had wandered out of left open gate a few hundred yards from home. Owner very grateful as extremely busy country lane.

A little jack bolted into my livery yard during a thunderstorm. I made enquiries with YO who had no knowledge of it, so I took it to vet near me to get chip read (as no other ID) and got a frantic call from YO husband who said it was from farm down the road and came to collect it.

Another JR I found on a walk had come from other side of town but that was only discovered when taken to vet for a chip scan.

I was very grateful to get my dog back when he escaped from my tent during a camping trip. He spent half the night with some people in a caravan (my friends said he was looking for a better class of owner😅😅) and when I discovered him missing in the morning I checked my phone and had a message to say where he was, so for me a tag on a collar is a no brainer, particularly as my front door opens straight onto street.

marmalade76

Visit site
Would you care to read my post again

My dogs have always worn collars or harnesses with tags when not at home. At home always "naked".

Read this thread:

and Google collar strangulation.

I read and understood it perfectly, thank you. I am aware of the possibility of strangulation but prefer the risk of this to the possibility of being unable to restrain an out of control dog.

marmalade76

Visit site
I don't own a dog so don't own a slip lead 🤣 . Don't think I've ever had to grab a collar, conveniently everything I have picked up has hopped straight in the car but I've then been able to call the owner using the tag.

I've been known to use baler twine and a pair of reins as leads for my own dog so no chance of having a spare lead for any strays!

You see, it easy to use a bit of bale twine as a lead when your dog is already wearing a collar ;)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Those on here who walk on their own land are in a different catagory to those of us who just have a garden and have to mingle with the general public in parks etc. My previous dogs , collie and lurcher were not in the habit of wrestling and they wore collars all of the time, I have indigo thread on identity plates so nothing to get caught up anywhere. Since I’ve had my smallest terrier she loves to wrestle with my others so for safety mine dont wear collars at home but I wouldn’t feel happy walking them without my contact details easily seen

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm also bemused as to how putting a slip lead on a stray is somehow less risky than getting hold of its collar if it was wearing one. That is assuming that you happen to have a spare slip lead on your person at all times just in case you come across a stray dog.

To put a slip lead on, don't you have to have your hands right up close to the bitey end to slip it on over the head and back into place?

I would be taking hold of the collar from behind, so safer from being bitten?

It's a lot less hassle for whoever catches the stray dog if the owner's details are on an id tag. Otherwise its a trip to the vets or police to get it scanned for a microchip.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
You can loop a slip lead on from higher up though so I see how it would be better I’m just never going to have one (or baler twine 😅)

twiggy2

Visit site
Non of ours wear collars at home, 17000 acres of private estate, they are all bar one working collies, they rough house and run together twice a day, we have collars attached to chains on the back of certain vehicles for young dogs when needed.
I would be more worried about my dog getting caught up on its collar to obstacles lying around on the vast open wildness and not being found than dissapearing without a collar on.
They are all Id chipped too.
For everyone worrying about the legalities of what other peoples dogs have on their collar how many people have their full name and address on the I'd tag rather than the dogs name and phone number.
I my 18yrs of dog training I never came across a dog with the correct info on the tag when I first met the owner.
When I lived a more normal life in urban areas walking my dogs in public places they wore collars when not at home but they came off due to risk in the home and garden or qhen crated.

twiggy2

Visit site
I'm also bemused as to how putting a slip lead on a stray is somehow less risky than getting hold of its collar if it was wearing one. That is assuming that you happen to have a spare slip lead on your person at all times just in case you come across a stray dog.

To put a slip lead on, don't you have to have your hands right up close to the bitey end to slip it on over the head and back into place?

It's a lot less hassle for whoever catches the stray dog if the owner's details are on an id tag. Otherwise its a trip to the vets or police to get it scanned for a microchip.
You don't need to have your hands anywhere near a dogs head to loop the slip end of a lead around d it's neck, many dogs when scared will bite at something grabbing their neck

Indy

Visit site

If you got hold of Bandit's collar from behind, there would be a good chance you'd get bitten because he has an aversion to people grabbing hold of him. He always wears a collar which says I AM LOST with my number and also a clip on tag, he's friendly though so you would be able to put a slip lead on and read the information on his collar.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I read and understood it perfectly, thank you. I am aware of the possibility of strangulation but prefer the risk of this to the possibility of being unable to restrain an out of control dog.
I've been known to use baler twine and a pair of reins as leads for my own dog so no chance of having a spare lead for any strays!

You see, it easy to use a bit of bale twine as a lead when your dog is already wearing a collar ;)

Hmm.

I assumed you had misunderstood my post because you went off on a tangent about malinois with no collars and a cyclist.

I didn't suggest that anyone should take a dog out without a collar. I was pointing out the danger of not supervising a dog wearing one.

My dogs have always worn collars/harnesses with id tags when out, I also always managed to have a leash for each one :)

marmalade76

Visit site
Hmm.

I assumed you had misunderstood my post because you went off on a tangent about malinois with no collars and a cyclist.

I didn't suggest that anyone should take a dog out without a collar. I was pointing out the danger of not supervising a dog wearing one.

My dogs have always worn collars/harnesses with id tags when out, I also always managed to have a leash for each one :)

See I don't actually "walk" my dog, she just hangs out with me when I'm at the yard (my privately rented yard or private yards I've worked on), the reins & bale string were employed when I used to have to collect the children from school on the way home from the yard and it was too warm to leave her in the car.

They come home from school on their own now.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Woman seriously injured in dog attack at house in Worcester https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-66177057

Potential life changing injuries for the woman, and two men less seriously injured, though one was taken to hospital. The dog (unspecified breed) was already dead by the time the rescue services arrived.

skinnydipper

Visit site
The Coventry incident.

Copied from Facebook.

Rosie Hall:
"There was 4 dogs that escaped from there house with no collars or anything they attacked a dog on a lead she was only a pup the woman that came out the house after the 4 dogs had no control over the dogs what so ever I was bitten by the big dog trying to stop it and at the start the police didn’t get involved they only got involved when they could see how out of control the dog was and the woman could not control it before it got the little dog for a 3rd time it nearly attacked a man and that’s when the police got involved and everyone started coming out shouting at the police when they didn’t see how it started the police done the best they could in the situation peoples views would be a lot different if they was there"

Clodagh

Visit site
The Coventry incident.

Copied from Facebook.

Rosie Hall:
"There was 4 dogs that escaped from there house with no collars or anything they attacked a dog on a lead she was only a pup the woman that came out the house after the 4 dogs had no control over the dogs what so ever I was bitten by the big dog trying to stop it and at the start the police didn’t get involved they only got involved when they could see how out of control the dog was and the woman could not control it before it got the little dog for a 3rd time it nearly attacked a man and that’s when the police got involved and everyone started coming out shouting at the police when they didn’t see how it started the police done the best they could in the situation peoples views would be a lot different if they was there"
Terrifying for all concerned. I hope the pup is ok.