Another fatal dog attack

cauda equina

Visit site
After looking at this one I kept scrolling, quite a few adult bullies for sale for low prices , the trouble is they could easily get into the wrong hands , feel sorry for the dogs
The low priced ones all say something like 'Change in circumstances forces sale' - which sounds like 'I previously let my dog do whatever it wanted but I am now being expected to follow certain rules and can't be arsed'

meleeka

Visit site
The compensation is only up to £200 to cover the cost of euthanasia. It has to be paid out first and then claimed back afterwards with a signed form from the vet.

Eminently preferable to them being dumped to roam the streets because owners cant afford to PTS

I can’t see this working. They’d still have to have the £200 up front. For people on benefits that’s a lot of money.

I have a friend who’s an OAP. Her dog is also elderly and is a xbreed that could fall under the description. I can guarantee she won’t be complying with anything. Her dog is never off lead (because it has no recall), but I know she wouldn’t have insurance or muzzle him. It will be interesting to see how far the law is enforced, or if it’s going to be the same as all the other laws involving animals that aren’t.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I can’t see this working. They’d still have to have the £200 up front. For people on benefits that’s a lot of money.

I have a friend who’s an OAP. Her dog is also elderly and is a xbreed that could fall under the description. I can guarantee she won’t be complying with anything. Her dog is never off lead (because it has no recall), but I know she wouldn’t have insurance or muzzle him. It will be interesting to see how far the law is enforced, or if it’s going to be the same as all the other laws involving animals that aren’t.
Surely if they could have paid a grand or so for the dog in the first place, they can afford £200?

meleeka

Visit site
Surely if they could have paid a grand or so for the dog in the first place, they can afford £200?

That’s like saying if you paid £20k for a horse you ought to be able to find £5k for a vet bill up front, which we know isn’t always the case. From my experience there’s a lot of dogs getting sold for a lot less than that. The thing about some people who rely on benefits is that they don’t budget, so they might have bought the dog when they sold something, but doesn’t mean they’d have £1 left by the end of the week.

I’d have liked to see the costs being claimed by the vets directly .

conniegirl

Visit site
That’s like saying if you paid £20k for a horse you ought to be able to find £5k for a vet bill up front, which we know isn’t always the case. From my experience there’s a lot of dogs getting sold for a lot less than that. The thing about some people who rely on benefits is that they don’t budget, so they might have bought the dog when they sold something, but doesn’t mean they’d have £1 left by the end of the week.

I’d have liked to see the costs being claimed by the vets directly .
You should never own an animal if you cannot afford to give it a dignified end.
Big dogs can be trained to walk nicely on a loose leash.
This with bells on.
We used to have a gorgeous but enormously oversized golden retriever. He weighed 40kg and not an ounce of it was fat.

A toddler could have walked him on the lead.

Indy

Visit site
For those who can't afford to pay insurance, the Dog Trust third party liability would be affordable at £25 a year. Bandit is insured on this as he comes to work with me.

Spanny

Visit site
I'm surprised they haven't included some breed makeup genetics testing in the definition (not enough known maybe)....I think if you're a mastiff owner you best well have the papers on hand to prove it

(Assuming the ban is in any way enforced of course)
The way I read the legislation is that breed and DNA don't actually matter, so if a dog falls within the physical definition it falls within the ban. This was the section:

Screenshot_20231101_092002_OneDrive.jpg

gunnergundog

Visit site
The way I read the legislation is that breed and DNA don't actually matter, so if a dog falls within the physical definition it falls within the ban. This was the section:

View attachment 126385
Assuming there is enforcement of course, I am very pleased to read the above.

All hell broke out on a local village Facebook group the other week; a lady posted enquiring whether the escaped XL had been caught and was it safe to go out. Apparently, she had been walking her small breed dog when she encountered two separate people who were out looking for the abovementioned XL. Both said that it was aggressive and to get home pdq and to avoid it at all costs if she saw it. The bully lovers came out in their droves, claiming it was misunderstood (!) and in any case it wasn't an XL. Long story short, the owner eventually came on to say it was back home and that it was a dogue de bordeaux cross; his ex then came on and said it was indeed, but crossed with an XL. Who knows the truth but if it falls under the criteria of the new legislation I will be very pleased.

sarah.oxford

Visit site
Had a customer today who said that her vets sent out a letter when the upcoming legislation was announced and she's going to have to muzzle her dog and keep it on the lead, but she said she doesn't need insurance because he's registered with a vet, and... wait for it, because he's not 'pure' XL bully, he's crossed with a pitbull. 🙄
I suggested that she should double check (trying to be polite, as I am paid to not offend people)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Had a customer today who said that her vets sent out a letter when the upcoming legislation was announced and she's going to have to muzzle her dog and keep it on the lead, but she said she doesn't need insurance because he's registered with a vet, and... wait for it, because he's not 'pure' XL bully, he's crossed with a pitbull. 🙄
I suggested that she should double check (trying to be polite, as I am paid to not offend people)
You can be polite and spell out the legislation 😉

oldandgold

Visit site

paddy555

Visit site
this one sounds great. Likes children so no chance of him going hungry at dinner time and very protective of his handler when out so at least the handler won't get attacked, raped or murdered. Heaven help the rest of the public. :mad:

I do feel so very sorry for these poor dogs. This really isn't their fault that they were ever born.

photo_jo

Visit site
this one sounds great. Likes children so no chance of him going hungry at dinner time and very protective of his handler when out so at least the handler won't get attacked, raped or murdered. Heaven help the rest of the public. :mad:

I do feel so very sorry for these poor dogs. This really isn't their fault that they were ever born.
He's also selling Belgian Malinois pups

ArklePig

Visit site
I cannot believe what I'm seeing here. Some organisation is crowd funding to bring xl bullys to NI because there's no ban here. Also thought this one particular comment was pretty special/thick. Lost for words and actually raging.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231102_161147_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_20231102_161147_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    576.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_20231102_161151_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_20231102_161151_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    857.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_20231102_161050_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_20231102_161050_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 96

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I cannot believe what I'm seeing here. Some organisation is crowd funding to bring xl bullys to NI because there's no ban here. Also thought this one particular comment was pretty special/thick. Lost for words and actually raging.

I am furious! As though we haven't got enough problems of our own on the island of Ireland without importing the UK cast offs! :mad: And you can bet your last euro that a lot of those they import will end up down here in the south, 'fostered' to a certain section of society that just love dog fighting and all the suffering and cruelty that goes with it.

On looking into their page, I feel a prickling sensation in the back of my neck, the whole thing reeks of another rescue 'charity' that we have here down in Kerry, it was a complete and utter money making con and animals suffered hugely and it is still in operation today, albeit just dogs now no longer horses. Do you know how long the page has been in operation ArklePig ? It doesn't give any real information of exact address, any contact number, purely the FB page. And no posts older than this year.

ArklePig

Visit site
No not a clue I'm afraid, I don't follow that page it was shared to another group I'm in, but I believe they are based in Derry?

I have many feelings about the whole thing, you've articulated most of them for me! It'll also provide a handy option for people with pups they can't shift I suspect.

There was another post on Facebook yesterday I think of someone raffling off a litter of XL pups, 20 pounds a ticket. Horrific, all of it.