Another fatal dog attack

Jenko109

Visit site
There is a humane society (I think) in the USA who I follow.

It is absolutely devastating.

They attend horse auctions and there are literally animals going through who have broken their legs. Destined to be purchased by kill buyers and have to endure live transport to Mexico in that state.

They purchase animals, knowing they will just be immediately euthanising them.

How can such a country have such poor rights for their horses?

SilverLinings

Visit site

daily fail I know but the irresponsibility and why don't they even start to get the message, the pics of some of the dogs faces ie the jaws are so powerful. .

also the pics at the end of those who have died.

nothing new to be learnt in the article we hadn't already concluded just posted the link out of interest.

I didn't watch the video in the article, but I did look at all of the pictures and out of the fair number of dogs shown there was only one that I saw that may not have had it's ears cropped (the dog wasn't in focus so it wasn't clear, but looked like the ears might be slightly longer than the others).

As others on here have said, how can you say you 'love' your XLB and the breed so much that you don't want them banned even though they kill people, and then have it's ears illegally mutilated? These people either have a very odd understanding of love or a very poor understanding of dogs, or both.

Except for the minority who have a rescue dog, those who have bought dogs with cropped ears (or arranged for it to be done) cannot call themselves good owners. I've heard that when some celebrities have been confronted about it they have said they didn't know it was illegal (and that's their excuse for having a dog with cropped ears), but you don't need to know the law to know it's cruel- it is cosmetic surgery carried out for no reason. It would be like sending a toddler off to have a nose job, they can't consent, it's unneccesary and causes a degree of pain and suffering.

IMO cosmetic surgery should never be legal for animals or children (the exception being reconstruction after burns or injury).

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
To be fair to the US, the UK also has sh*tty neglect or abuse cases. There are more in the US because there are more people and horses in the US.

I do 100% wish there were better animal welfare laws in the US, but I wish that for the UK too. However, the US is a bit like a 3rd world country disguising as a 1st world country at times!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
There is a humane society (I think) in the USA who I follow.

It is absolutely devastating.

They attend horse auctions and there are literally animals going through who have broken their legs. Destined to be purchased by kill buyers and have to endure live transport to Mexico in that state.

They purchase animals, knowing they will just be immediately euthanising them.

How can such a country have such poor rights for their horses?
There’s a frequent rescuer, Ally, whose husband posts a lot of videos. They’re in America, I think. They must have a ton of money, because they’re forever sending very unwell animals to stay at the vet hospital.
I read recently that they've stopped docking their horses. It's taken far too long, but I'm so glad they've finally taken that step.
Does it depend on the state? They all seem to have different laws.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Y'know what I find interesting...

There are often loose dogs in my town (not really in my immediate neighborhood though), and I know this because I see it on the local/community FB pages. A lot of these dogs are mixes, and many with Pitbull in them, but there are plenty of other dogs here too, it's rather diverse. Anyway, what I find interesting is that there really aren't many attacks at all. I haven't heard of any, minus someone else's dog being hassled by a loose dog, but no injuries. So that's interesting because it's not like people really train their dogs around here.

We don't have any sort of animal welfare officer or enforcement in town. There's no budget for it, so it got cut (from what locals have told me). I think that's unacceptable, and I know many are upset. We do have a good shelter in town though. I donate to them every now and again.

Pippity

Visit site
There’s a frequent rescuer, Ally, whose husband posts a lot of videos. They’re in America, I think. They must have a ton of money, because they’re forever sending very unwell animals to stay at the vet hospital.

Does it depend on the state? They all seem to have different laws.
Budweiser specifically have stopped docking their Clydies, not the US as a whole.

malwhit

Visit site
The police should have attended the Bully march & ask the owners of cropped dogs to produce their dogs import papers within 24 hours.

I bet not many could comply.

My former neighbour who is a bit dodgy had what I thought was a Bulldog puppy, be he said it was an exotic Bully. I didn't see the pup for a month or so & when I did, it's ears had been cropped 😞

SilverLinings

Visit site
The police should have attended the Bully march & ask the owners of cropped dogs to produce their dogs import papers within 24 hours.

I bet not many could comply.

My former neighbour who is a bit dodgy had what I thought was a Bulldog puppy, be he said it was an exotic Bully. I didn't see the pup for a month or so & when I did, it's ears had been cropped 😞
I agree, but expect the police and courts don't have the time/resources/desire to pursue such a 'small' crime; it would be great if the ear cropping (and some other crimes) were able to be dealt with by an on-the-spot crime and something recorded like a caution, as it would be quicker for the police to deal with and raise money for the legal system. It's not something debateable like whether or not it was you who burgled a house, but I suppose many people don't have their dogs' microchipped and if questioned would just claim that the dog didn't belong to them.

It is beyond me why anyone would think it ok to have bits cut off their dog for no reason, and by someone who isn't a vet (if done in the UK). I also think the dogs look awful with cropped ears, so am puzzled by the attraction.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
it would be great if the ear cropping (and some other crimes) were able to be dealt with by an on-the-spot crime and something recorded like a caution, as it would be quicker for the police to deal with and raise money for the legal system.
Fines and other penalties should never be seen as a source of income for any branch of government. The purpose of fines and penalties is to punish the guilty and make reparations for prejudice suffered.

It's not something debateable like whether or not it was you who burgled a house, but I suppose many people don't have their dogs' microchipped and if questioned would just claim that the dog didn't belong to them.
If I drive a car that belongs to somebody else, but the car has no mot, could a court decide that I am guilty of driving vehicle that is not in roadworthy condition?

If I walk a dog that has been mutilated, that is in my mind a comparable situation.

The car belongs to somebody else, but I decided to drive it. The dog belongs to somebody else but I decided to walk it.

cauda equina

Visit site
I agree, but expect the police and courts don't have the time/resources/desire to pursue such a 'small' crime; it would be great if the ear cropping (and some other crimes) were able to be dealt with by an on-the-spot crime and something recorded like a caution, as it would be quicker for the police to deal with and raise money for the legal system. It's not something debateable like whether or not it was you who burgled a house, but I suppose many people don't have their dogs' microchipped and if questioned would just claim that the dog didn't belong to them.

It is beyond me why anyone would think it ok to have bits cut off their dog for no reason, and by someone who isn't a vet (if done in the UK). I also think the dogs look awful with cropped ears, so am puzzled by the attraction.
The RSPCA could though, if it had a mind to

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Big problem in this country is that we have lots of rules/laws but it is too much trouble to enforce the minor ones so they get ignored and then some people get into the mindset that they needn't obey any laws as there will be no comeback. In this case animals pay the penalty.
There’s no point at all in having laws if they are not enforced.

Widgeon

Visit site
Appears RSPCA now promoting getting dogs for Christmas and this one has so much going for him! An accident waiting to happen.

Much as I dislike the RSPCA I'm not sure that's quite fair - they're just using the season as a hook for their ongoing campaign to rehome this dog. And he's a crossbreed - we can't ask animal rescues to PTS every large headed crossbreed dog with a bad start in life. He could be crossed with all sorts of things, not necessarily XL bully.

SilverLinings

Visit site
If I drive a car that belongs to somebody else, but the car has no mot, could a court decide that I am guilty of driving vehicle that is not in roadworthy condition?

If I walk a dog that has been mutilated, that is in my mind a comparable situation.

The car belongs to somebody else, but I decided to drive it. The dog belongs to somebody else but I decided to walk it.

I agree in theory, but don't think it is that straightforward. The problem with comparing walking a dog to driving a car is that if police approach you could let go of the dog, or you could claim the dog was a stray and you'd just found it, and as dog's don't have license plates and are frequently (illegally) unchipped the police would struggle to prove ownership.

It's the same with the law requiring dogs to be microchipped; if someone is caught walking an unchipped dog they can just claim that they found it and are taking it to the police/vets/etc. I suspect many of the people who don't observe the law wouldn't care if they then had to follow through with their 'stray' dog story and hand it over to the police/dog warden/etc rather than pay a fine.

I suppose the one way to stop ear-cropping would be to make it legal for police and dog wardens to seize ear-cropped dogs on sight (whoever is walking them), and if the owner wants it back they have to pay a large fine. To kill two birds with one stone you could also require the dog to be chipped and registered in the owners name before releasing the dog back to them. I suspect there would sadly be a lot of unclaimed dogs, but hopefully the end result would be that ear-cropping stopped. This would only work if they were seized in large numbers and I don't think it is something that the police would/could prioritise.

I think it is a problem across society in the UK at the moment that too many 'minor' crimes (shoplifting, burglary, un-chipped dogs etc) are no longer investigated or punished, so antisocial behaviour is increasing across the board.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Much as I dislike the RSPCA I'm not sure that's quite fair - they're just using the season as a hook for their ongoing campaign to rehome this dog. And he's a crossbreed - we can't ask animal rescues to PTS every large headed crossbreed dog with a bad start in life. He could be crossed with all sorts of things, not necessarily XL bully.
And in the second picture he looks far less like a bull-type, with a much longer nose than the first photo implies. From the write up on the centre's website he sounds like a truly lovely dog, with a very sweet temperament:

Reactions: JJS

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Does anyone know how you report a suspect puppy farm? I regularly walk past a set of sheds with no windows where multiple dogs with high pitched voices (ie they don't sound like guard dogs) can be heard barking. The sheds on are the far bank of a canal, out into a rough semi industrial wastland area, well away from any prying eyes. I'm very suspicious.
The reporting of suspected puppy farming has many problems. The LA will be interested if you can evidence selling of puppies. The LA has powers under the 2018 Act Activities Involving Animals legislation, which provided unlimited fines and even custodial sentencing. But, to use this legislation there has to be clear and repetitive evidence of selling over a period of time. Remember when the LA gets to court they, like the police, need a rock solid case.

So your sheds may well contain breeding bitches being kept in abysmal conditions, but the LA is powerless and does not have powers of entry. The RSPCA also does not have power of entry and the dealings I have had with them over many years have been frustrating to say the least.

JJS

Visit site
And in the second picture he looks far less like a bull-type, with a much longer nose than the first photo implies. From the write up on the centre's website he sounds like a truly lovely dog, with a very sweet temperament:

I agree. TBH, he looks like a Lab x Staffy, and whether you want to argue about measurements or not, the issue people claim to have with XL Bullies is that there’s a genetic predisposition toward aggression. I’d defy anyone to say that the same is the case for either Labs or Staffies, which is why such a loose definition is potentially so damaging for any crosses who might have a bull or mastiff breed somewhere in their lineage.

Stanley sounds lovely, and I sincerely hope he finds the sort of home that he so obviously deserves.

Moobli

Visit site
An SNP Minister has confirmed the 31st December clampdown will not apply in Scotland. A fast-track ban on deadly XL Bully dogs south of the border will not be copied by the Scottish Government.

twiggy2

Visit site
An SNP Minister has confirmed the 31st December clampdown will not apply in Scotland. A fast-track ban on deadly XL Bully dogs south of the border will not be copied by the Scottish Government.

I wonder if the article is right and its just political posturing?
I also wonder if there will be an huge influx of XL bullies North if the border?