Anyone seen swelling like this?

Squeak

Visit site
TPO I'm so hoping he manages to make a miraculous recovery and pulls through.

Just in relation to the tooth pulling, one of mine had a cap on it's tooth and when the EDT removed it, it could have looked like he was trying to remove the whole tooth. I'm not in any way saying that it was an appropriate time to remove the cap but is it possible that she was trying to just remove the cap rather than the tooth?

Reactions: TPO

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I've been following the thread but haven't commented before.
I'm so sorry things aren't going so well but don't give up hope yet.

Where that vet is concerned, I wouldn't mess about but would put in a formal complaint.

TPO

Visit site
My lovely EDT has kindly called me to discuss.

He confirmed my thoughts. It's a baby tooth that was never shed.

Fair enough removing it in a youngster as the gap will close but not in an adult horse. It's always been solid (still is but now the gum has a wee bruise) not loose as she claimed. I am in his mouth four times a day administering drugs and always look at his silly wee tooth.

To remove it now would also disrupt his wear pattern and the lower teeth would grow up into the gap.

Also horse has 2wks deadline, wtf was she even doing even looking in his mouth (or palpating his back)?

So angry!

I am worried about doing the whole "she's never to attend my horses" and then there's an emergency when she is the on call vet ?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Thanks for the replies and well wishes. I do really appreciate them

I will talk to my vet about it when I next speak with him. Aside from my anger I just can't believe that a vet would do that. I'd never met her before and she didnt ask permission or even say anything until she was in his mouth pulling on the tooth.

I have messaged my EDT just looking for some guidance. My thoughts are that removing the tooth would cause issues and I guess just looking for confirmation of that.

As much as I appreciate all the positive thoughts I think we all know that this story is not going to have a happy ending.

It's almost week 4 and steroids end then. He's had 3 wks of intensive care and it hasn't been enough to fix him. I just dont know what to do.

I feel so guilty seeing him and I just dont know if I have it in me for another 2wks knowing that it will ultimately be in vain. On the other hand I want to give him every possible chance. Just really upset right now, sorry

it was certainly the wrong time to be looking at other treatments, and sensitive to say the least.

Hold steady for the two weeks, the horse I knew took as long. I think the leg does look a lot better. Fingers crossed. X

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
My lovely EDT has kindly called me to discuss.

He confirmed my thoughts. It's a baby tooth that was never shed.

Fair enough removing it in a youngster as the gap will close but not in an adult horse. It's always been solid (still is but now the gum has a wee bruise) not loose as she claimed. I am in his mouth four times a day administering drugs and always look at his silly wee tooth.

To remove it now would also disrupt his wear pattern and the lower teeth would grow up into the gap.

Also horse has 2wks deadline, wtf was she even doing even looking in his mouth (or palpating his back)?

So angry!

I am worried about doing the whole "she's never to attend my horses" and then there's an emergency when she is the on call vet ?

If there was an emergency, would you want or trust her?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
TPO I've got my fingers crossed for V and Team V. Your monumental effort is inspiring and you must be absolutely drained. You've got him this far and its only down to your commitment he's still got a fighting chance. The infection hasn't spread so you are still winning. Progress might be slow but it is progress.

doodle

Visit site
A vet badly misdiagnosed Minto and literally almost killed him. She said it was his arthritis and suggested acupuncture, I queried laminitis, was told very dismissively of course it wasn’t as he wasn’t the type. And to turn him out 24/7. 2 days later I called “my” vet to come and pts as his “arthritis “ had deteriorated to such and extent. “My” vet immediately diagnosed laminitis and I was lucky he pulled through. But of course the long term damage was done and could have been prevented. I didn’t put in a proper complaint but did raise the issue and said that veg would not be welcome again and if she was on call in emergency they would have to call someone else in or I would use a different practise.

She then appeared at work and did an equally rubbish job, boss complained and she “moved on” pretty soon after.

TPO

Visit site
A vet badly misdiagnosed Minto and literally almost killed him. She said it was his arthritis and suggested acupuncture, I queried laminitis, was told very dismissively of course it wasn’t as he wasn’t the type. And to turn him out 24/7. 2 days later I called “my” vet to come and pts as his “arthritis “ had deteriorated to such and extent. “My” vet immediately diagnosed laminitis and I was lucky he pulled through. But of course the long term damage was done and could have been prevented. I didn’t put in a proper complaint but did raise the issue and said that veg would not be welcome again and if she was on call in emergency they would have to call someone else in or I would use a different practise.

She then appeared at work and did an equally rubbish job, boss complained and she “moved on” pretty soon after.

I heard that story from someone else, who lived in auchterarder, about a (small blonde female) vet who was covering at a local practice doing this exact thing? Crazy if its you and shocking that it happened.

If it is the same practice and vet then I put in a complaint about her too and banned her from seeing my horse. They still sent her once and thankfully I arrived half an hour behind her because she had put a bandage on too tight, as in dangerously tight. Horse couldnt put his hoof down and if he had it on any longer there would/could have been permanent damage.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Just caught this thread and oh my days what a saga.

I really feel for you and your family TPO and sending good vibes for V.

Kia had lymphocystic Vasculitis and it was so sore and raw he couldn’t walk. Was three weeks before the vet and I got on top of it. This just looks like a nightmare. Hugs and vibes xx

doodle

Visit site
I heard that story from someone else, who lived in auchterarder, about a (small blonde female) vet who was covering at a local practice doing this exact thing? Crazy if its you and shocking that it happened.

Small but not blonde.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
What a ‘not’ great day (understatement) ?

When you speak to your vet tell him how furious and upset you were (are) about this other vets actions.

But what I will say is that some vets do love getting their hands on a problem and looking at the whole horse (when it’s obvious what they’re there to treat). I used to have a vet like that. Real old school guy who liked nothing more than giving an animal a good going over and discussing what was in front of him. Of course he’d never have attempted a procedure like your vet did today. But every animal was a learning experience....

Of course, we’d all be furious about the mouth incident, and rightly so xx

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
So good that the EDT backed you up, not that it should be necessary. even if it did eventually need removing, now is not the time to deal the horse another blow. Vet can butt out.

Sending all possible healing vibes. If you weren't at the opposite end of the country I'd muscle in and give you all a few days off from the grind x

TPO

Visit site
What a ‘not’ great day (understatement) ?

When you speak to your vet tell him how furious and upset you were (are) about this other vets actions.

But what I will say is that some vets do love getting their hands on a problem and looking at the whole horse (when it’s obvious what they’re there to treat). I used to have a vet like that. Real old school guy who liked nothing more than giving an animal a good going over and discussing what was in front of him. Of course he’d never have attempted a procedure like your vet did today. But every animal was a learning experience....

Of course, we’d all be furious about the mouth incident, and rightly so xx

The complete lack of discussion further to being in his mouth and over his back is my problem.

If she had discussed it fair enough but she literally whipped the veterinary equivalent of pliers out and started pulling on the (firm) tooth.

I completely appreciate what you have said and my vet is like that, so thorough and considers the whole picture.

Her taking matters into her own hands with no discussion let alone permission is what has really got my back up.

I will speak to my vet next Wednesday when I've to phone with the next update (but will call sooner if anything changes for the worse)

ozpoz

Visit site
I would absolutely complain/query what on earth was she doing? I would have been so upset that anyone would treat my horse as if it was a random object to be investigated while standing on 3 legs.
But , I think his leg is looking great and that a 3 day turnaround was certainly not my experience for such an amount of swelling! It took months before all the inflammation had cleared totally. Month 2 was turnout thankfully. Keep going, every picture shows an improvement that you probably don’t notice with seeing it every day.

Surbie

Visit site
You and your Dad have done such an amazing job supporting Vinnie, in horrendous conditions. I'm so sorry it wasn't a more positive visit for you today, particularly with how exhausting the timetable has been. Given what you've said about your vet tho, who sounds amazing, surely he wouldn't be talking about allowing another 2 weeks if V wasn't starting to show improvement?

Also, I'd definitely be complaining about vet #2, totally unnecessary and would have me absolutely shaking with rage.

TPO

Visit site
Thank you, I really do appreciate the support.

I've ordered immunall supplement recommended up thread and weatherbeeta therapy boots.

I asked the vet if V could wear stable wraps/boots, as bandaging is a definite no obviously, and he said that was fine but just to use a melanin(sp?) dressing to stop gunk from the hole sticking to the boot and risking an uncomfortable removal. I've asked both companies if they could expedite asap but appreciate that everyone is busy and the mail is terrible just now between one thing and another.

The silver sox previously recommended look good but I just dont think they would arrive from Sweden in time given all this brexit drama on top of normal postage times.

I hope that my vet thinks there is hope and isnt just trying to gently ease me into it. Hes pts two of mine previously so I hope he knows me well enough to know that isnt needed.

I might buy the woofwear mudfever boots too so that "the hole" is kept clean on walks too.

All these boots might just fry SuperDads brain! I caught him literally crawling about on his hands and knees around Vinnies legs to fasten his (put on sideways?!) hoofboots. I explained why that is the most unsafe thing to do never mind with Neurotic TB and he told me it was fine because he had already had a word with V about it ??‍♀️ see what I'm dealing with?! Randomly the horse scared from his own shadow is ok with a hi vis rustling person crawling underneath him?!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
? your dad
Sounds like my OH. Back when Arts was tricky to rug OH used to tell her that he would give her a treat if she was good. I did try explaining that this probably worked because it made him act more confident, but no, he was (and is to this day), absolutely certain that the promise of a hay cob made her refrain from kicking his head in.

TPO

Visit site
Would/has manuka honey been mentionned? Is it a possibility?

My nurse friend told me never to use that in a wound. She used to post on here (Kez1001) and I think she linked to papers about it. I think it can cause over granulisation (if that's even a word). I'll search for the post but since we discussed it I've always had a fear of using it ?

TPO

Visit site
? your dad
Sounds like my OH. Back when Arts was tricky to rug OH used to tell her that he would give her a treat if she was good. I did try explaining that this probably worked because it made him act more confident, but no, he was (and is to this day), absolutely certain that the promise of a hay cob made her refrain from kicking his head in.

Dad got a kick in the ribs the other night because he was "helping" by pushing Vinnie along when.he was being sticky to lead.

Thankfully just a glancing blow and as it was approx -10 he had eleventy million layers on. That's all I need is him out of action!

But yeah, this is his chosen method of encouraging Vinnie to walk and he assures me it's the only way and much easier as a 2 person job ??

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
That's interesting. Perhaps it shouldn't be used on certain types of wound then? A youngster I had suffered a bad injury, I used manuka honey on a dressing, no trace or scarring.