Facebook - Horse shot by livery owner

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Yes this is 100% the RSPCA are corrupt and all the horses that go to GG are case horses from owners that are waiting trail if the RSPCA win the case the the horses are in there care and a lot of them in fact over half of them will be put to sleep as they can't be bothered to rehome them or give them a chance of a new home

As regarding beckys horses layton and cooper have done the wrong thing and it's barbaric and inhumane and copper would only destroy a horse if it was life threatening he would not just shot it for no reason unless the threat from Layton about the RSPCA horses on his land
Also it was agreed she was paying the rent at the end of the month as in earlier massage it states this as she spoke to lay tons mum dorthey about this and she agreed what her son Layton has done behind his back it's discusting and he should fear for his life right now

Say what?

fburton

Visit site
She knew that this place has a history of shooting horses (as per her own comments on facebook)
She was told that she must pay up front and was adamant that she would not do this
If she had paid, the horse would still be alive.

Those are the facts.
Those are some of the facts, yes.

fburton

Visit site
They're nor exactly comparable though are they??? one owes a £30 bill, and the other shoots a horse and dumps it in the owners garden Godfather Style, and they are both as responsible?? how does that work then ? I really don't get your logic
Would the offence have been any different if her horse's head had been placed in her bed Godfather Style? Just more criminal damage (to bed sheets) and trespass? Or does the emotional effect on the victim have an additional bearing on the crime? What about "outraging public decency"?

fburton

Visit site
And as for the horse still moving, load of rubbish, if it was still moving its heart would still have been pumping and there would have been a whole lot more blood.
Not necessarily. An animal can still move (e.g. kick legs) even after the heart has stopped, for a minute or two anyway.

bakewell

Visit site
Or everyone could just pay their bills?

There are always issues around bills and livery... say your horse causes damage, or maybe it was "likely" it was your horse, or it's felt you should pay for the vet treatment of a horse your's may have kicked, or is this "normal wear and tear" or excessive. Yes it's nice if everyone is reasonable and adult/ accepts accidents do happen. However the nature of humans means that's as likely as flying pigs.

Leo Walker

Visit site
What about the lady who was asked to pay for a car windscreen to be replaced a few days ago? The YO believed she owed that money, she and pretty much everyone on here did not and advised her not to pay and move the horses ASAP

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Actually I think it's very pertinent information regarding the general attitude and care that the place and the RSPCA offers....

Imagine if there was a show centre that had strangles/salmonella etc but because they are 'kept round the back then that's ok?' There would be absolute public uproar.

The person mentioned is not a direct employee of the RSPCA as far as i am aware. Plus I am not sure where the proof of the strangles has come from but it's not unheard of for yards to be hit and some competition yards in the area have been closed over the past few months. I am not sure if this yard was amongst them but it may well have been and that makes it no better or worse than others. These things do happen.
I still don't think it has any relevance to the horrific incident that has occurred and there is far too much speculation about who was involved. what this YO did/had done is disgraceful and angers and upsets me but, the horse it seems would never had suffered this horrible fate if the link as loanee had just paid the measly £30

TBH the fact that this centre houses 200 RSPCA horses would lead me to believe that Strangles would be pretty much endemic with a transient horse population, rather like a low standard market would be.

Knowing that this was happening on the premises would be enough to stop me taking my horse there just alone.

Who knows, maybe the number of people hiring these premises and then attending shows or returning to their livery yards has been one of the reasons there has been more then a few infected yards in North Yorkshire? Strangles does not just float on the breeze, horses have to actually come into contact with infected materiel.

Visiting a yard with strangles is just a risk I don't need to take, and would choose not to if I am aware it is there.

Knowing that someone was daily looking after these horses would make me very cautious to use them for any private service as well. I would have to be convinced as to their disinfection procedures for them, their clothes, cars, dogs.....

digitalangel

Visit site
10731162_293097920899157_6228613402070486401_n.jpg

digitalangel

Visit site
"Beckie Warner Yes all liverys still there barring 4/5. As petrified to move. And he will not pay bonds back the whole reason I didn't pay in front in the first place cz he doesn't return deposits!"

-- source, fb.

siennamum

Visit site
I wonder whether he tried to load the mare - with a piece of baling twine round her neck, couldn't and actually injured her and shot her as a result. Speculation I know but it was my initial thought when I read he's tried to load her & she had kicked off.
I saw a picture of the loaner standing next to a pool of blood, there was quite a bit more blood than I would expect to see. Only time I have seen as much was with a horse who had Cushings.

To my mind it is irrelevant whether the loaner had paid the guy. Can't believe people think she should share the blame for the outcome. How ridiculous, she is responsible for being a poor payer, not for shooting the horse. Hope something nasty and very painful happens to this guy.

gmw

Visit site
200 RSPCA horses!!!!!!! Are these horses well looked after? Is there enough grazing (lets allow a minimum of one and a half acres per horse !!!!!!!! etc etc The mind boggles.

WelshD

Visit site
The loaner knew the terms of payment and chose to decide when she wanted to pay. She knew the owner had a reputation for not returning deposits but chose to use the yard, she knew the owner wasnt known for being rational but chose to use the yard.

If I was the horse's owner I would be devastated by what the chap did but I would be absolutely LIVID with the loaner for thinking she could beat 'the system'

The yard owner called the loaners bluff in the most awful unacceptable way but the loaner chose to walk a very fine line and the poor horse paid the ultimate price

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
The loaner knew the terms of payment and chose to decide when she wanted to pay. She knew the owner had a reputation for not returning deposits but chose to use the yard, she knew the owner wasnt known for being rational but chose to use the yard.

If I was the horse's owner I would be devastated by what the chap did but I would be absolutely LIVID with the loaner for thinking she could beat 'the system'

The yard owner called the loaners bluff in the most awful unacceptable way but the loaner chose to walk a very fine line and the poor horse paid the ultimate price

Completely agree with this.

cronkmooar

Visit site
On the point that the horse was moving after being dumped in her garden, this is a possibility and would tie in with a post a few pages back from the vet nurse (sorry cant remember name) who said for various reasons the horse did not look like it had just been shot.

When rigor is setting in there can be muscle movement in any animal - I had something put down a couple of weeks ago and it was immediately covered up.

My vet did remind me not to think there was still life if I seen the cover moving as it was going to be a few hours before burial

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Not necessarily. An animal can still move (e.g. kick legs) even after the heart has stopped, for a minute or two anyway.

Absolutely, but from killing our animals at home I have never known one that's still moving after we've manouevred it into a barrow and taken it across the yard, let alone having taken sufficient time to load it into a tractor bucket and drive it round to someone's house where, in the first reports, the loaner didn't realise it was there for some little time.

Big Ben

Visit site
I am just amazed as ever at the way people view the world..

You know I have zero idea how I would react if someone turned up with a horse that they had just shot, I'm not sure if I would of stayed there and waited with the horse, I can't imagine how I would react, it is a situation so awful that I can't compute it, but I kind of think that if there was someone out here with a gun, I would of gone into the house and locked myself in.

Those who are saying the the leaser is responsible, well yes they are responsible for not paying, I have no idea if she intended to pay or not, but it is just totally beyond any comprehension of mine that anyone thanks that it is OK to shoot a horse over a 30 quid, three week debt.

*hic*

Visit site
Thats terrible. That should change :(

You may not be aware that as the law stands it is illegal for me to employ a licensed slaughterman to kill my animals on my land I choose to have them shot at home as I don't believe that travelling them does them any favours at this critical point in their lives. I used to employ an extremely experienced man who was one of those people that all animals adore and who had despatched countless animals and took a real pride in knowing that he had done his best for them. Then the law changed and now, for it to be legal for me to not have to transport animals that I have bred and grown for my own private consumption on my own land, I HAVE to kill them myself.

In reality I have my very experienced slaughterman guiding my every movement and nothing has gone wrong so far but doesn't it make an utter ass of the law when the experienced and licensed man is not allowed to do his job and the rank amateur has to.

*hic*

Visit site
I am just amazed as ever at the way people view the world..

You know I have zero idea how I would react if someone turned up with a horse that they had just shot, I'm not sure if I would of stayed there and waited with the horse, I can't imagine how I would react, it is a situation so awful that I can't compute it, but I kind of think that if there was someone out here with a gun, I would of gone into the house and locked myself in.

Those who are saying the the leaser is responsible, well yes they are responsible for not paying, I have no idea if she intended to pay or not, but it is just totally beyond any comprehension of mine that anyone thanks that it is OK to shoot a horse over a 30 quid, three week debt.

It was a captive bolt gun. If they're not touching flesh they ain't going to harm you.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
It was a captive bolt gun. If they're not touching flesh they ain't going to harm you.

Still that guy was killed with one during the foot and mouth outbreak way back, and this guy has got to be a bit of a nutter! Really how many other people would vent their spleen out on an Animal, just to get at its owner/ loaner.

Totally respect your stand on your own animals. I am and will remain a vegetation due to the stupid and cruel way meat animals are dealt with in this country. Home killed meat is so much better.

Big Ben

Visit site

Again though, in the heat of the moment are you going to process that information? I just can't imagine acting rationally if someone had just dumped my horses dead body on the lawn. You think it has been shot, well out here anyway, I would think gun, and maybe someone still has it. If I was involved with a person who was bat **** crazy enough to do this thing, what else would they be capable of.

It is like any situation like that, it is far easier to sit here, warm safe and comfortable in my front room drinking coffee, saying Oh yes, well in situation A, I would do XY and Z. On a cold, dark windy night, with a lunatic on the loose, I think plan 44 run like a fast thing, comes into mind.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Thats terrible. That should change :(

You may not be aware that as the law stands it is illegal for me to employ a licensed slaughterman to kill my animals on my land I choose to have them shot at home as I don't believe that travelling them does them any favours at this critical point in their lives. I used to employ an extremely experienced man who was one of those people that all animals adore and who had despatched countless animals and took a real pride in knowing that he had done his best for them. Then the law changed and now, for it to be legal for me to not have to transport animals that I have bred and grown for my own private consumption on my own land, I HAVE to kill them myself.

In reality I have my very experienced slaughterman guiding my every movement and nothing has gone wrong so far but doesn't it make an utter ass of the law when the experienced and licensed man is not allowed to do his job and the rank amateur has to.

A link or reference to the relevant law would be useful, especially as the link I posted above about animal welfare and the law on slaughter was on a government web site for DEFRA.