Ok, here it is.... seriously, why do people want to own thoroughbreds...

Cuppatea

www.facebook.com
jumpinggeorge.jpg

Last edited:

Kenzo

Visit site
Hard question to answer really because their all so differnt, you can get a lot of qualities in a TB, its like having a bit of everything from lots of other breeds, stamina, boldness, athletism, hardyness, intelligence, kind nature, some are light and graceful, some are built like hunters etc obviously some have more good qualities than others but you get a lot of choice picking a good TB.

turkana

Visit site
I bought a tb as they're quite unfashionable at the moment so I was able to buy a beautiful horse who's hunted for a reasonable price, she's an ex-racer & is very sharp, spooky, fiesty & thinks she should be in charge so she's not for a novice but she's not a difficult ride at all.

She's always been in proffesional yards & has been well treated but she was unused to being treated like a pet; she'd never had a tip bit & wouldn't take anything sweet (not even a polo!) but that has certainly changed, she's now a big soft lump! She also found the lack of structure difficult to adjust to but she's got used to it now.

But she lives out, has good feet (is barefoot) & just eats chaff (she can't have cereals or anything even slightly heating), she stands up well to hard work but is very accident prone in the field.

I wouldn't treat a tb any different to any other horse, I know you have to handle them quietly & treat them with respect but I treat all horses like that.

Tammytoo

Visit site
Also because when I brought my pony and my tb in today in the howling gale the tb walked in like it was a hot sunny day and the pony came in like a kite on the end of a string!

Sarah1

Visit site
Pass...
...I have no idea why we've just taken on a 4 year old TB ex-racer who hasn't even been sat on for over a year! :D ;)
To be fair to the lad tho he's as good as any of ours to handle - of course we haven't sat on him yet! :eek:

springer1021

Visit site
I mean ordinary folk, not people that go to the real Badminton and all that, or racing, just people who do a bit of hacking, and the odd local show - why? Serious replies or funny ones - no nastiness, please.

Why not? Why do some people want to own a Cob, WB.

There's probably a lot of TB's out there owned by professionals who would love to be owned by an oridinary person where they recieved oodles of love and attention.

I've ridden a couple of ex-racers and they have been as bombproof as you can get. They are so used to the noise of the crowd etc when they are racing nothing bothers them.

There's a racing yard near me and those TB's go by JCBs, pneumatic drills and never bat an eyelid at anything. I'm envious :D

In the wrong hands a TB could be a nightmare but you can say that about any breed.

bumblelion

Visit site
Also because when I brought my pony and my tb in today in the howling gale the tb walked in like it was a hot sunny day and the pony came in like a kite on the end of a string!

My two are out still and easier to do them out in the field than bring them in in this wind. So there was I was putting the TB's rug on while he was standing nice and still munching his tea whilst the ID was bronking (sp?) around us!!

ivandenisovich10

Visit site
Am I just an odd ball then as I'm getting a cod yearling and an ex racer when its finshed racer which hopefully won't be that long. Both lovelt in their own speial way

ivandenisovich10

Visit site
Am I just an odd ball then as I'm getting a cob yearling and an ex racer when its finshed racer which hopefully won't be that long. Both lovelt in their own speial way

snowstormII

Visit site
Firstly, your chestnut, Jessandcharlie, is absolutely beautiful - I fell in love again#!

Secondly,
Not sure really... Guess I'm trying to match my height and lankiness with that of a horse (I do still like to look daft hunting on my daughter's chubby 14hh TB x though). I'm on my 3rd TB now. This 16.1hh one trained but didn't race, though the other 2 were ex-racers. she was in my budget, which wasn't overly large. Alls I can say is the first was ok (ish!) on the ground and a moo to ride, the second was a b*****d on the ground but good to ride and excellent to jump, my 3rd is working out to be the best so far, really willing to please on the ground and in the school, but little less than brave out hacking, so she'll never make a bold XC, but as i have put my wings away in the cupboard now, that suits me down to the ground. She pleases my eye and is a great mood lifter when I spend time with her. God willing she will be around for a very long time.

Brandy

Visit site
My TB is my horse of a lifetime and I'm gutted that he is 30. I can;t imagine ever having another like him. He is fun, lively, forward going, a bit of a loon, and certainly only goes first - never last, but he is safe as houses though mose people don;t believe me when they see him. He makes me look better than I am.

Saying that, he was 18 when I got him, not sure I'd have liked him as a 5yr old!!

AandK

Visit site
Because they like having a horse that is slighly mad and always racking up vet bills, feed bills, farrier bills.. Bills in general ;)

My TB (an Irish one) is just awesome :D aside from costing me a fortune in feed/vets/farriers etc.. He is the most amazing person, so laid back and easy to do but with that quirky TB edge to him at the same time (spooking is his speciality!). He has massive fan clubs at every yard we've ever been on because he is such a dude :cool:
I've owned him 9yrs now (he is 14) and I cannot imagine my life without him!

_undertaker

Visit site
that's the biggest load of rubbish ever! I don't know one tb owner whose greatest pleasure isn't letting them rip full blast in a field!

It's the closest thing you can get to a legal high.

I ride before work in the mornings, as many here do I'm sure, and if I can survive the gallop nothing at work will phase me much.

:cool:

Dukey

Visit site
Like any breed they have their good points and their bad points. But they are so atheletic and fun! I can see why a more nervous or novice riders would struugle with their turn of speed. However as others have said they can be brilliant allrounders :) personally I wouldn't have a gypsy cob, WB or arab but I see why others love them. Also I like TBs with a good amount of bone not keen on the tiny ones! Its just personal choice!

Copperpot

Visit site
Cos galloping them is a blast!! People who say my cob can keep up with a TB clearly have never galloped one :) I think they are amazing athletes. My TB x never had a day lame in his life. My boy now is 7/8 TB. He's fast, agile, quick thinking when he needs to be .... Who wouldn't want those things :)

Elsiecat

Visit site
Because I love my tb. Shes gorgeous and affectionate. I love galloping on her, she looks after me on hacks and shes just generally a pleasure to be around.
Seriously, why WOULDN'T you want to own a tb?
Theres bad and good of all breeds. Its all personal preference. You wouldn't see me on a Cob, I can't stand them, but some people love them and I can appreciate why. I wouldn't ask why they owned theirs :D

_undertaker

Visit site
Having ridden a number of different breeds, I have found that the lines of communication with a TB are usually much more direct and clear-cut. I generally know pretty quickly what he's thinking.